Excelerator coils for minelab explorer

grnpt_dtekr

anyone using the 12.5" or 5" coils of this brand? i have the 8" inch minelab but am wondering how these compare to the sunray brand of products?

I would either go with the Sunray or Coiltek coils. Both brands are excellent and rugged as well as great performers. if you need any more info please let me know.

I have the Sunray 8" and 5", but, unfortunately haven't had time to use the 5" except for a spin next to my driveway, and it did isolate some coins from the rebar in the concrete, which the stock 10.5" wouldn't do.

I have the Sunray 8" and 5", but, unfortunately haven't had time to use the 5" except for a spin next to my driveway, and it did isolate some coins from the rebar in the concrete, which the stock 10.5" wouldn't do.

Glad to hear that about the 5", because I just ordered one. I'll post my results.

Glad to hear that about the 5", because I just ordered one. I'll post my results.

The only drawback is that it's a pain to change coils on the SE, so I've ordered upper and lower shafts for both coils to make it a simple operation. Now all I need is some free time to hunt!

so i guess i have to ask the question, how does the excelerators compare to the sunray and coiltek?

the elliptical coiltek looks interesting, thats got to be a good compromise of depth w/ ability to work in trashier areas.

how is the depth with the 5" sunray?

do the larger coiltek and sunray coils go deeper than the stock coils? anyone have some real world experience on this?

thanks for all the help guys!

GD

The new generation of Excelerator coils are exceptional. The 6 inch is a true DD 6 inch coil and is HOT. I would recommend one to anyone who is looking for this size coil. I also have enjoyed using the 12.5 in some of the open areas of some schools and parks. I have not yet purchased the new 10x14 yet.

Sunray is very quality conscious with all their products. Theie coils outperform the Minelab. The Coiltek coils are made to fit Minelab detectors. The are not some cheaper made hope you get a good one coil. They are solid deep penetrators. The 15" WOT will still pick up a dime as easily as a 10" coil which is a little different than its supposed to be. larger coils don't usually do that. If you need more info please call me.

how is the depth with the 5" sunray?

I've used mine twice in the last two days, and have been very impressed. I dug a wheat penny last night that was 5.5 inches deep; after taking out the plug, I gradually scraped the dirt away and measured the depth. The signal was strong, so I'd think it would go deeper without problem.

Excelerator coils for the minelab explorers

I have the 12.5"...the 10 x 14"...and now the 6" for my SE. I am having great success with all of these coils. The 6" coil is the absolute hottest little coil I have ever used. I have no problem hitting silver dimes at 7" to 8" right next to trash with this coil. I also love the 12.5" coil for slightly larger and less trashy areas. As for the 10 x 14...it just loves deep silver on edge and it gets a lot of use too. I have been hunting at sites previously pounded for 30 years by myself and many others...and have been pulling a lot of old coins with these coils that other coils have missed.

Last edited:
bryce are you are using sunray or excelerator coils?
Every coil I use is an Excelerator. I have had nothing but success and more finds since I started doing so. I haven't used my stock SE coil in months. The quality and construction of the Excelerators is excellent as well. To me they are just simply well made and they perform for me in the field where it counts.

A nice alternative to buying the Pro Coil for any Explorer is getting a Detech EXcelerator 12.5in coil

A nice alternative to buying the Pro Coil for any Explorer is getting a Detech EXcelerator 12.5in coil.
http://www.kellycodetectors.com/exce...tor-14inch.htm

I just got such a coil with a "Tall Man" lower shaft for my Explorer SE and this combination is a wee bit lighter than my oem stock 10.5in with standard lower shaft.

On the weight issue it corroborates what is quoted on the KellyCo page:

"The search coil was outstanding in many ways. They are extremely well built and very streamlined in appearance. the shoulders, where the shaft joins to the coil are heavy duty and offer a comfortable fit. The weight of the larger coil did not feel any different than my standard 10" coil. It was easy to handle. I spent over 4 hours in the field without any strain or discomfort."

The depth was more than impressive, it was at least 50% deeper than my standard 10" coil. Coin depth more than doubled to 15" to 20". Surprising find of a small gold ear-ring. Not a ring but a tiny ear-ring at approx. 10" deep.

Pinpointing was accurate and all targets that I.Dd were "right on". I would recommend these coils to anybody owning a Minelab Explorer"

My combo TallMan/12.5 EXcelerator was a less expensive alternative than buying a new original(OEM) Pro coil from Minelab. I got my combo on eBay ;-)

Enjoy!

anyone using the 12.5" or 5" coils of this brand? i have the 8" inch minelab but am wondering how these compare to the sunray brand of products?

I have a lot to say and only a few minutes. I hope I can get it all in and not screw up too much here.

I for years believed that if you wanted the very best in coils you needed to buy the manufacture’s accessory coils. My friend who I do a lot of metal detecting with purchased the White’s D2 10” DD coil for use on his V3, DFX and MXT detectors and we were all blown away by the performance of this wonderful new coil from White’s. And after using the coil myself on my MXT I just had to have one!

So, I decided it would be my next accessory coil. However, I was going to be leaving for a two week trip to hunt some old CCC Camps in here in New Jersey and I wanted the coil for that trip and my wife could not get the White’s D2, there were out of stock at both local White’s dealers.

Then my wife thought of calling Kellyco where I had bought my first MXT and later my M-6 detector. However, kind employee at Kellyco told my wife that they did not have the D2 in stock but did have a few EXcelerator 10” DD coils in stock and that it was a very good coil. So she order one for me and told me that if I was not happy with it, she would get me the R2 when it was available and keep the EXcelerator. And to be honest I was a little disappointed that I didn’t get the R2.

After getting the EXcelerator I went out with my buddy and we set up a test bed with nickels, silver dimes, silver quarters and Eisenhower Dollars buried at depths of 6, 8, 10 and 12 inches as well as a Morgan Dollar buried at 14 inches.

The Excelerator 10” DD and the White’s R2 10” DD both hit the nickels, silver quarters and Eisenhower Dollars at all depths. However, when it came to the silver dimes, the R2 on both my MXT and my friend’s MXT missed the silver at 10 inches. So we tried 9 inches and the R2 then was able to hit the silver dime on both machines with a very faint signal/low whisper.

The EXcelerator 10” DD on both MXT machines was able to get a good lock on the silver dime at 10 inches. So we then tried the silver dime at 11 inches and on both MXT’s with the EXcelerator 10” DD was able to hit the silver dime consistently!

If you view my album of Silver Coins I recovered on my CCC Camp hunt you will see that most of the 28 Silver Coins that I recovered were found with the EXcelerator 10” DD. When viewing the picture of the coin take the time to read the details of my recover I posted on each of the photos and see the depth that some of these coins were recovered.

In short the EXcelerator 10” DD and White’s R2 10” DD are pretty much dead even in performance. However the EXcelerator actually is more sensitive on the smaller silver coins and able to hit them better and at great depth then the R2 was capable of doing. EXcelerator is slightly heavier but also more sturdy then the White’s coil. We have had two R2 Coils go bad, but have had no problems with the EXcelerator Coils.

I’ve also use the 10x12” DD SEF (Butterfly) and it is a top performer as well.

After my CCC Camp Hunt and my recent Civil War Relic Hunt in Virginia, I know that Kellyco has sold at least 5 of these coils (the EXcelerator 10" DD) in recent weeks after people have seen mine in action and have tried it for themselves. But unfortunately my experience is limited to these two Excelerator Coils, but others I hear from that use different Excelerator Coils are very pleased with their coils.

Oh, by the way, I no longer need the R2. It is a very good coil, I just like the EXcelerator a little more.

Both coils hit the Morgan Dollar at 14 inches.

Best Regards,
Silver Hawk

Last edited:
Great post and great account of your experience, this will be of much guidance to other fellow detectorists.

Of note, I have read somewhere that I can't remember that you need the II series of EXcelerator coils for them to beat the oem ones from Whites.

The first series of EXcelerator didn't quite have the oomph the the EXcelerator II series has. And the first series EXcelerator don't get as much of a good resale price on eBay, so you can presume that this detail his KNOWN in certain circles of detectorists ;)

Back
Top Bottom