Dual Field ear-phone Mod.

Cupajo

Elite Member
From that day back in August of 2009 when I bought my Dual Field I have enjoyed using it and have water hunted with it as my main machine ever since.

The only thing that bothered me about the DF was the ear-phones and how they would not block out the sounds of waves/wind etc. when I was water hunting.

I have never had a problem with the quality of the sound I got from the phones, but needed to be able to hear those signals better.

I knew the headset was designed for diving where minimal protection from ambient noise wasn’t likely to be a problem and that White’s wasn’t designing the DF for hunting above the surface.

I am not and probably never will be a diver who uses the DF, so I had to come up with a way to quiet down the ear-phones so I could hear those deep signals while wading.

The hollow ear-cups have three vent ports to allow water pressure to equalize for diving and they also allow outside sounds to enter the mechanism.

The first thing I did was block the small ports with silicone sealer, which did reduce noise, but not enough.

I then covered the ear pads with a soft fuzzy cloth which made them more comfortable, but wasn’t enough noise reduction, but it did help a little with wind noise.

Then I ordered a pair of thick gel pads to provide a better seal around my ears. They are a lot more comfortable than the ones that come with the DF and seal the ear-cup very well, but there was still a noise problem that convinced me to take the next step.

Yesterday I finally decided to do something drastic and open the earphones to see what I could do to solve the noise problem.

I pried open the DF phones by tapping the edge of a knife blade into the seam where the black and yellow parts join to separate the cup from the sound board.

I then glued the air ports closed inside and out with a better glue than the silicone I had used before which I was able to easily remove.
I used the same "Liquid Weld" glue to seal around the plastic wire grommets (again inside and out) that aren't water tight.

I removed the tape I had around the pads and ran a bead of the Weld around the contact point where the outside of the new pads and the ear-cups meet.

Next I found among my plumbing supplies a piece of closed cell pipe insulation which will not soak up water and trimmed it to fit the cup to add sound proofing.

A bead of Weld Glue in the groove around the edge of the sound board would seal that point with a water-proof joint which should make the work look like new.

On reflection I realized the job would have gone better if I had waited to install the ear-pads after all the glue was dried, but they were installed for almost a week before I decided to add the foam etc. (The pads have some glue spots, but work just fine.)

Both ear cups were glued and quick-clamped closed and allowed to dry over-night.

This AM I hunted along a hundred yards or so of the water’s edge at a local beach where the waves were making plenty of noise and found the headset to be quieter than the expensive phones I use on my GT.

I think this is a must do mod as the phones quiet down the outside noise and the headset is waterproof in case it gets dropped in the drink!!!

They, of course, can never be used for diving after this mod and Whites will surely void any warrantee related to these phones, but I've had these way past the time limit anyway.

I hope this will solve the noise problem for other hunters too.

CJ

Attachments

• 12-16-12 DF  Headset Cnversion 032.jpg
    12-16-12 DF Headset Cnversion 032.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 358
  • 12-16-12 DF  Headset Cnversion 011.jpg
    12-16-12 DF Headset Cnversion 011.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 348
  • 12-16-12 DF  Headset Cnversion 029.jpg
    12-16-12 DF Headset Cnversion 029.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 345
  • 12-16-12 DF  Headset Cnversion 006.jpg
    12-16-12 DF Headset Cnversion 006.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 339
  • 12-16-12 DF  Headset Cnversion 019.jpg
    12-16-12 DF Headset Cnversion 019.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 346
  • 12-16-12 DF  Headset Cnversion 041.jpg
    12-16-12 DF Headset Cnversion 041.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 339
  • 12-16-12 DF  Headset Cnversion 033.jpg
    12-16-12 DF Headset Cnversion 033.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 344
  • 12-16-12 DF  Headset Cnversion 025.jpg
    12-16-12 DF Headset Cnversion 025.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 343
  • 12-16-12 DF  Headset Cnversion 023.jpg
    12-16-12 DF Headset Cnversion 023.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 333
  • 12-16-12 DF  Headset Cnversion 021.jpg
    12-16-12 DF Headset Cnversion 021.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 348
  • 12-16-12 DF  Headset Cnversion 039.jpg
    12-16-12 DF Headset Cnversion 039.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 337
  • 12-17-12  Headset Completed 002.JPG
    12-17-12 Headset Completed 002.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 343
OK, but can you hear "SHARK" if it is yelled! I can hear all the above through my headphones too, I just turn them up. Is that not an option?

To clarify the problem Grumpy, several of us Old Timers have a hearing loss problem and when outside noises are bad enough we have a rough time hearing those tiny, deep signals the DF is famous for (They often mean gold!!!) and don't want to mess with our settings to try to hear better.

The DF volume control is enclosed in the control housing and must be pre-set!

I prefer the volume to be kept just loud enough that I can hear the thresold, but no louder!

Hope this makes a clearer picture for Ya!

CJ

PS Not all sounds are blocked, so "SHARK" would be heard for sure!!:lol:

Looks Good Lew, Funny I'm looking for away to make my setup quiter since I emptied out the earcup, and I like the foam that holds no water, and that stuff works good you posted, if I remember correct......will give it a shot this week...thanks for sharing...

And as always, good work!!

Attachments

• OBN0009.jpg
    OBN0009.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 326
Looks promising CJ. Can't wait to put them on and see the difference the next time we get together.

Nice job Lew. I really like the foam idea, that was good thinking.

The Peltor ear protectors have thicker foam ear pads, deeper cups and foam inside to absorb sound for a 30DB noise reduction.

It made sense to me that even though the ear cups aren't as deep adding foam, blocking the air vents and putting on thick gel pads should make a big improvement over the stock "divers" version for wading/wet/dry sand hunting.

There is a noticeable improvement, but until I use them in the water for a while I won't know if I have achieved what I wanted.

Stay tuned--------------

CJ

I spent an hour and a half in a brisk wind working the waters edge with wave action and heard every signal, so I guess I gotta winner!!!:thumbsup:

Thanks for your interest,

CJ

Back
Top Bottom