Vinyl Tubing Coil Cover

Cupajo

Elite Member
When I started water hunting in the '80s there were no covers availible for the coils I was using and they soon started to suffer from the harsh environment they were being used.

I gave a lot of thought to the problem and came up with this idea which has served me well ever since.

I posted about this a year or so ago and this is a follow-up to show how well the cover is working out.

Notice how the normally shiny plastic is heavily scuffed. The shape is designed to cover the edges that have suffered most of the wear on my coils in the past.

It acts as a "bumper" preventing chips and abrasions that will quickly ruin a coil.

Where minerals built up inside it cause "falsing" signals the bumper can be removed easily, cleaned and used over and over for years. It will likely outlast the detector and doesn't cost but a fraction of what most covers cost.

The last time I did this was 6 months or so ago. It is a nuisance, but well worth the effort to protect the coil from damage caused by the stony bottom where I use the DF.

This one is 1" clear vinyl tubing from a local hardware store.

Notice too that my coil ear repair is still as strong as the day I glued it together with Shoe Goop!!

After I cleaned and re-installed the bumper I used "all plastic", electrical quick tie straps at each of the anchor points to secure it in place and then covered each tie with several wraps of plastic electrical tape.

This coil has seen lots of use since I purchased the DF in August of '09> The origional plastic cover lasted almost a year and I replaced it with a new one that I glued on so I would never have to remove it again.

The bumper is protecting those wear points where the first cover wore out!!

Attachments

• 12-15-12  Coil Cover 009.JPG
    12-15-12 Coil Cover 009.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 395
  • 12-15-12  Coil Cover 010.JPG
    12-15-12 Coil Cover 010.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 397
  • 12-15-12  Coil Cover 012.JPG
    12-15-12 Coil Cover 012.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 390
  • 12-15-12  Coil Cover 003.JPG
    12-15-12 Coil Cover 003.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 377
  • 12-15-12  Coil Cover 017.JPG
    12-15-12 Coil Cover 017.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 409
  • 12-15-12  Coil Cover 006.JPG
    12-15-12 Coil Cover 006.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 375
  • 12-15-12  Coil Cover 014.JPG
    12-15-12 Coil Cover 014.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 393
wholy frankenstien batman,:laughing::lol::laughing: I want to make some mods to my DF but will wait till warranty is up. Have you or do you know anyone who have changed hedphones on DF? and what would be best to change them to? I was thinking waterproof grey ghost...I have already made and am using 1/4" abs stabilizer on both sides instead of the single 1/8" that is sold for the DF, alot more secure that way....GL+HH.....cliffy

wholy frankenstien batman,:laughing::lol::laughing: Have you or do you know anyone who have changed hedphones on DF? and what would be best to change them to? I was thinking waterproof grey ghost...cliffy

I just started using these Cliff and they are a step up from Whites ear pads!!

http://www.flyfaro.com/accessories/gel-ear-seal-pad.html

The origional ones peeled off, but left a little glue on the surface that I had to scrape off.

I glued the new ones on and plastic electrical taped them with several wraps to secure them in place. They are thicker which makes for a better seal and more sound proofing.

They look a little odd as they would fit the phones better if they were a little bigger, but are comfortable and seem to work alright. Almost anything is better than the stock pads!!!

OBN has mods for the Excal phones, but the DF headset may be harder to Mod.

Regards,

CJ

Attachments

• 12-16-12  Ear Pads 002.JPG
    12-16-12 Ear Pads 002.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 305
Back
Top Bottom