I'm not trying to be difficult...

CTStalker

I've been contemplating buying a MD for a couple of months now. I'm a hunter and have easy access to about 700 acres of land here in Connecticut, USA. I have a couple of guidelines for purchase:

- available through Amazon.com as I have gift cards there
- OK for use by a tall person 6'5"
- Rugged as it will work in a forested area, not on a beach
- be about $250 or less

Our lands have been inhabited by people for 100s of years so I'd like to be able to pick up coins, but also items that may be historical

I'm leaning towards the Garret Ace 250, but have seen some bad reviews here in the forum for that model so I'm sketchy on the purchase now.

I could offer a lot of suggestions, but not for anything from Amazon. I would never even dream of buying a detector from there. Too many better deals available from sponsor of the forum.

Same here I would buy from one of the sponsors as they will give you the best deal on a machine as for $250 price range you could get the F2 or the silver umax both from what I hear are awesome and the umax has a lifetime warrenty

I should imagine you can get virtually any detector via Amazon, so you can use your gift cards.
Nothing wrong with the Ace250. It has been around for a while, and there are better machines
available, although probably not for the price.

It's still a good machine. You should also find there is enough adjustment on the shaft for your needs.

Amazon is a great place to buy a detector, or anything else for that matter

my vote is a Tesoro Compadre, $160

A quick peek at Amazon's MD offerings shows only two in your price range that I could have any faith in: The Garrett ACE 250 and the Fisher F2. The Bounty Hunter models are likely better than some of those likely-built-in-China cheap metal detectors. Go to amazon.com if you must, but I think you would get a more satisfying MD from the sponsors here.

-- Tom

Quick follow-up: I included "tesoro" in my search and found, to my surprise, that they have some (most likely from associated dealers), and the Silver u-Max is only slightly over your budget. No display, but a nice detector.

-- Tom

Fisher F2w/ pinpointer + small electricians pouch + Fiskars 7079 Big Grip Garden Knife + small shovel should hit $250 and you're set.

The problem with Amazon is that most of what they have for "metal detectors" are nothing more than cheap Chinese garbage. Even the good detectors are often sold by companies who are only selling a product and have no clue about how they work or the features of any model.

I understand the issue with the gift cards, but you can get a much better detector and talk to someone who understands them and can make suggestions based on your needs. You can also get them from forum sponsors as cheaply as you could find them anywhere else (including Amazon). Forum sponsors can also give you service AFTER the sale. Something are not likely to find with something "fullfilled by Amazon".

Teknetics Delta is a bit more, but a great detector for the price. They were on sale for 249 a few weeks ago but they've gone back up to 279.9x

Look At all the name Brands

Should be able to get a SlLVER max from a sponsor for about
$255.00 I would think Call them and ask what their thoughts are.

The problem with Amazon is that most of what they have for "metal detectors" are nothing more than cheap Chinese garbage. Even the good detectors are often sold by companies who are only selling a product and have no clue about how they work or the features of any model.

I understand the issue with the gift cards, but you can get a much better detector and talk to someone who understands them and can make suggestions based on your needs. You can also get them from forum sponsors as cheaply as you could find them anywhere else (including Amazon). Forum sponsors can also give you service AFTER the sale. Something are not likely to find with something "fullfilled by Amazon".

Great post!

But since the sponsors don't take Amazon cards. he might have to go with what he can.

The ACe250 is a decent detector with a display
the T2 and the umax are good also.

as for the height thing, i am not sure if being tall effects the usage. they are adjustable to a point..

Fisher F2w/ pinpointer + small electricians pouch + Fiskars 7079 Big Grip Garden Knife + small shovel should hit $250 and you're set.

x2, I bought my F2 from amazon and have had great luck with it. Would have purchased it from Bart, but I was impatient and got mine through amazon prime, next day service for 3.99.

I can guarantee you the Fishers, Garretts, and Tesoros you buy off Amazon.com are the exact same ones that NED, Bart, or kellyco will sell you and they are all made in the same places, i.e, all F2s are made in the same factories, etc. With that said, "Made" is a very vague term. Assembled maybe, but I doubt if the electronics were made here or overseas. I understand Tesoro may be different.

In addition, the warranties are the same whether you buy from Amazon.com, Kellyco, NED, etc.

I'll go with a sponsor every time. They bust their butt for your business and their prices are amazing. I personally use Bart at Big Boys. Plus, it keeps this awesome forum alive.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom