Lightning strikes a third time.

That’s a beauty man. And an oldie! Super congrats!
Thanks, GS! Come on down and we'll find you one! :yes:

Great find, great ideas for cleaning.
Thanks, DIGGER27, but a word of caution. Vinegar is a weak acid (it is "acetic acid", after all). I could not find anything that said it attacks silver, but noted that after a day in the vinegar that it was whiter and I now have less detail on the coin than I did before. I'm a little bummed, but I could find no other option that would remove the crust. I'll do some more research, next time, and see what else may be good to break down what I think are mostly calcium deposits holding the gunk together, without damaging the coin...

Thats a sweet coin, I wish I could find myself. Congrats!!
Thanks, and you will! Just a matter of time!

Very nice rare one!:yes:
Thank you, metaladdict!

You did a very nice job on bringing that coin back to life. Congrats on another Half dime. Trapper
Thank you, jack&jill. I wish I'd not damaged it as much as I did, but it is what it is. I am still stoked with this find!

Awesome coin, congrats!
Thank you, Jamflicker!

Thanks, DIGGER27, but a word of caution. Vinegar is a weak acid (it is "acetic acid", after all). I could not find anything that said it attacks silver, but noted that after a day in the vinegar that it was whiter and I now have less detail on the coin than I did before. I'm a little bummed, but I could find no other option that would remove the crust. I'll do some more research, next time, and see what else may be good to break down what I think are mostly calcium deposits holding the gunk together, without damaging the coin...

I would much rather clean a coin and enjoy it than look at an unrecognizable dirty disc...especially if it is so wrecked up it doesn't have a lot of worth.
Sometimes I will clean just small spots to get clues of rarity before I get a hard cleaning or chemicals because I don't want to ruin something good but I have been known to attack some coins with steel wool and worse...especially old dirty nickels.

Good to see some CA finds. Love those before and after photos. What type site are you hunting ??

Good to see some CA finds. Love those before and after photos. What type site are you hunting ??

It's an old city-owned lot, not far from my home, that has been vacant for many decades. I so badly want to screed every cubic inch of it! :yes:

Oh! I suppose the thinking is that this creates a base liquid that won't attack the silver, but will help attack the crud. I like it!

I thought I'd try lacquer thinner, but did a search first on if it would attack silver. I found an old thread on this forum, from 2011, that actually recommended acetone, so it's in that right now. If that doesn't get it, I'll go to baking soda next...

Thanks, tnsharpshooter!

CLR will get that crud off it works great

CLR will get that crud off it works great

Thanks, brncofan. I tried that on a crusty penny and it ate the penny away pretty bad, so I was thinking something milder like vinegar would work. Live and learn...

Congrats on a great find !

It's up to you - but I've had excellent results by cleaning encrusted Silver coins with a 12 volt Electrolysis Bath.
You can easily make an Electrolysis Bath for free with a few things you probably have sitting around in your garage or basement.
Safe to use - no chemicals involved - just be sure not to leave what ever your cleaning in longer than it takes to actually clean the item.
This process will dissolve the crud on the object first but after that's all gone it will go after the metal itself - so don't forget and leave it in over night !

Back
Top Bottom