Anyone know what this is?

Florida Tabdigger

Elite Member
This was found at a pre-40's homesite. It appears to be some kind of a salt shaker. Its made out of copper.

Attachments

• Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 291
  • Picture 022.jpg
    Picture 022.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 277
It's an optical difuser for Martians! :yes: :roll:

It closes up and looks like a pocket watch(even has a chain ring). It doesn't screw onto a bottle or anything. The salt or pepper goes inside this and you turn the dial to either sift or pour/fill.

Are you saying it's not a cap, that it's complete the way it is?

That IS interesting!

and the tab might have been used to open and close the holes to allow more or less powder exit and go back into the container just a though

No, the more I look at it, it couldn't be for cosmetics...I am real curious about the hole in the flip-up cover. It is opposite the inner hole. The hinge is complete so I don't think there was another cover over the one with hole.

Looks to me like a shaker cap, even though there are no threads. Maybe the cap was on a container made of tinplate or even cardboard, which has corroded away/decayed. Flip up the outer cap, adjust the inner part to sprinkle or for a larger amount, then close outer hinged cap.

What does the bottom look like? It looks like it might be a snuff box (shake it or pinch it :grin:) or a desk powder container that went with a traveling desk or writing box. The gentleman's desk set (1800's) would have a inkwell, a blotter and a powder shaker. The powder was shaken on the still-wet ink on whatever you had just written, then pressed with the blotter. Or it could be a traveling salt shaker ;) )

Looks like the inner ring turns to allow either pour, sprinkle, or closed. Definately for some type of powder. I don't picture it for gunpowder. I think they would want to carry more than that. Could be for some type of spice. Maybe the wealthy would carry it on a chain in their vest pocket for personal use while dinning. Or, you know how things were back then, could have carried cocaine, or maybe some type of tobacco for either rolling a cigarette, or maybe snuff. Looks like the type of thing you'd take to "Antiques Road Show" and be told it's worth $12,000 at auction. Take it to an antiques dealer.

The way I see it... From looking at the top pictures, the "thing" holds it's own small portion of the salt, or whatever. It would be stored in the bottom chamber. The big hole in the bottom plate is where it comes out. You'd turn the top plate to one of three positions: Pour (big hole), shake or sift (small holes), or closed (no holes at all). When you have depleted the supply of salt (or whatever), turn the plate to the big hole, fill it back up, close it and put in your pocket.

You know, back in the day, condiments were for more than flavor and taste, they were used to hide and disguise rot in meat and food. They didn't have 'fridges back then. Yes, they had ice boxes. But, cross country trips on horse back took weeks and months. Meat was salt cured or smoked, but still, they had to do something!

Back
Top Bottom