Garrett A T coil problem.

bodkin

Elite Member
Hi all,

I am just wondering if any of you have had issues with you coils which have turned out to be faulty....

I was out yesterday morning in damp and foggy conditions, the grass was fairly long and wet. I ground balanced fine but as soon as I started sweeping left to right - as we do, the target ID went crazy..... Rested the coil and all was quiet..... Lifted coil into the air, went crazy.

I had this trouble about two and a half years ago and replaced the coil, now it has happened again. It also happened to my first machine, the Euro Ace, soon after purchase so the coil was replaced by the retailer. I think moisture is finding it's way in, perhaps where the cable enters the coil?

I have swapped the coil from my Pro for the time being and all is well, but now I wonder if this is a common problem and possibly related to age, overuse of design fault.

Thanks,

b.

next time try changing the frequency

Thanks MD, tried all normal things but in the back of my mind I knew the symptoms. There was no outside interference and no Minelabs straying too close and wiping me out. I tested the wet coil when I returned home and still had the same problem. Disconnected the coil and the machine was quiet suggesting the coil is the problem. Replaced with the coil from my Pro (using my Gold) and detected this afternoon on wet pasture with no problems - even pulled out a deep silver.

I'm asking as It would certainly be bad luck to have two great coils go bad with the same fault - constant and random pinging off when wet. Also, did anyone who had the same problem come up with a fix.

Pretty sure mine has a problem with the connection- every now and then it just stops working and I have to wiggle the cord near the connection point to get it working again. The annoying thing is, there is no warning when it does this, so I am constantly checking to make sure it's still working by tossing metallic objects in front of the coil.

I plan on eventually having it serviced by Garrett, but I don't want to send it in till the end of the detecting season since I don't want to be without it that long.

I had a problem with my stock coil it would not go deeper then 4 inches. Mine is still under warranty and Garrett sent out a new coil can't wait to get out this weekend to see how it works. Not sure if this is the same problem you are having ?

Back
Top Bottom