New To Creek Hunting

soughtseven1035

Forum Supporter
Hi guys,
I've tried to search for some newbie guides and ask people about how to water hunt but I am still resilient to get in the creeks. I have some very old creeks in my side of Pennsylvania and want to hop in them. A lot of the land around here is hunted out and I don't believe anyone has gotten into the water at all.

I have a Delta 4000 right now and most say that you should not take it even in shallow creeks. Some of the creeks around here are only 1-2 feet and most are 3-4 feet max. Would I be all right with this machine if I just lay it aside on the bank or something? I could also hold it up in the air while I dip under. It weighs next to nothing and if I could hold to the end and just hold it up there, that might work. It seems like a lot of work which I probably won't attempt. I will get the Garret AT Pro. The only thing stopping me is inexperience with water so far.

I don't want to invest in a machine just for water if my land machine is doing just fine. So any tips about getting into the water would be great. Never did it before except at the beach a little bit but it never worked well. I hear there are a lot of good things in the water.

Watch aquachiggers video's, notice most are near bridges, which at one time were not there....ford water crossing...

Just don't ever set your Delta down or hold it up in a way that could allow water to run up the shaft to the contol box.

Water + Delta control box = Delta sudden death.
bth_SkullCrossBonesSignFalls.gif

If you are going to play in the water, you shouldn't mind getting wet, potentially your machine as well... It can be tough to stay standing, without carrying gear, or focused on the sounds the machine makes. Doesn't take much, to lose your footing. Always a good idea to have someone with you, when in or near the water, we don't have gills. There's a good reason why most people don't hunt the water, it's not for everyone, little risky. Never hunted the water, but have taken the bath a few times fishing. Imagine it's about the same. Most people don't like to think about water being deadly, or even dangerous, and that's what gets them into trouble. I did a lot of swimming in my youth, competitively. Swim pools are relatively safe, but people still get into trouble.

all of the creeks around here are from 1800's and earlier.

Funniest thing I have read in a long time!!

Be careful out there, one little slip and your machine is a pile of garbage..

Good luck!!

<*)))>{

im lost. But that's an every day thing.

I would start with a Tesoro compadre and water proof it or convert it to a headphone unit. Its quick and easy and will get you in the water CHEAP! You can easily pick up a good used machine for $100 shipped, and the stuff to waterproof is around $20. Its one of the best machines out there, and if you decide you really like it then go AT PRO. I just really like SIMPLE water machines like the excel. No screen or numbers. I would love to have a waterproof vaquero, and am probably going to build one. I purchased the vaquero for $200. even if I go all out with a custom machined & molded housing, with high grade water proof electronics I could get out under $300. Of course that's having all the equipment to mold my own waterproof housing, and machine all my own connectors, but still that would be an amazing machine.
Besides if you drowned the compadre or something its $100.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=163383

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=162753

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=162435

Back
Top Bottom