New here, and need iron help bad please!

Ghettoburger

I don't use a lot of forums so I'm not even sure what's the most effective way or place to ask a question. Probably either here or in relic/coin hunting section. Basically I'm pretty new to the hobby but have been busting my rear for about a month. On average a few hours everyday. Put in 7 today alone. I had a bounty hunter 2 until I just got the Garrett at pro w 5x8 dd coil a few days ago. Huge difference obviously. Also have the pinpointer by Garrett, lesche shovel and garden knife. But the thing that's killing me is I have access to what should be an amazing place but I am not having much luck.

I have been given permission to search on 300 acres of property that sits right off of route 11 near Winchester va. It's prime location for civil war relics. But this property is more. There is a home on this farm land that was built in the mid-1700's. Owners still live there. This place has been documented to have had the likes of George Washington stay here, as well as Stonewall Jackson. They farm probably 1/3 of the land. I was told the they have let people metal detect a bit in the fields over the years and they suspect a few people have done it at night without permission. I can't use the fields now because they have crops growing. But I was told I can go pretty much anywhere else I like and that likely no one had really ever detected much in the woods (thick). I wasn't told specifically if I could search near the home and so I've been a bit timid and haven't searched very near to the home due to the lawn being nice around it. But, I've searched a lot within 50 yds of the home on the lawn as it heads downhill towards rt 11. Today I focused on the path that was once the road/driveway that led to route 11. I've searched around old trees, and ground depressions...and all over the front yard (about 25-50 yds away from the home. The owner told me some "legends" like where they were told the slave quarters once were, and where there is a spring maybe 100 yds out the back of the home that had been built up w stone and that maybe there was a tunnel that led from the house to the spring, and there is a quarry where they got the stone from for the house...and right next to the house are two log cabins that are original and still stand (leaning pretty far though). Sounds amazing right? I haven't had the opportunity to be in the house yet but likely will soon.

But the biggest problem is, there is iron EVERYWHERE! In most places I search I can't go 6-12 inches in any direction without hearing one or several low beeps from a variety of iron large and small. Nails to pieces the size of your whole hand. I have been using the pro setting. The first 10 hours using the at pro I used coin setting and iron disc to 40, then would use the iron audio when I thought I heard something good. Usually it was a mass of several iron pieces and I would move on. But if I wasn't sure I'd dig it up and sure enough it was usually a very thick piece of old farm or plow equipment iron or maybe a horseshoe. This place was extremely active. Today I searched all afternoon and tried using zero -pro and just listen to all the iron. Thought I had a good plan working my way slowly on the path that was the driveway back in the day. I only found junk metal...and lots of it. Usually it's about 6 inches down. Sometimes more or less. Usually if I dig it up its a large chunk of heavy iron or flat folded up tin or something like tin or old nails etc. mostly large chunks of iron scattered literally everywhere. The only things I've found of any significance is a brass button - Union general infantry - with the eagle on it. I found a minie ball and a piece of grapeshot. But those last two were found in a field far from the house before the crops started growing and with my old detector. Since being near the house I'm really focusing on coins. The only coin I've found is a 1982 nickel. šŸ™ So I know it's a lot to read, but I was so pumped to be able to detect on this property and now I feel like I'm losing my mind. I just need one good find to keep me going. I know I have a lot more to explore at this land. It is so huge. But I keep asking myself if my AT pro can handle the depth here. I'm sure it can. I just wonder if stuff is way deep due to how I've found almost nothing, but I'll periodically find bullet casings 6 inches down that are likely less than 100yrs old. I've read lots on how to defeat the iron beast. But right now it's winning. I would really appreciate any advice anyone can offer. Including if I should ask this really long question elsewhere. I'm close to bringing in a more experienced person to come in and see what they think. I think I know what I'm doing but maybe I really just don't...sigh...Thanks everyone. hope to hear some good ideas.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 384
Iron every 6-12"?
How about sites with iron signals every inch which I have hunted before so it gets worse but well worth it if you learn to hunt them.
Then again, because of the amount of garbage masking is a huge problem and anyone that might have hunted here in the past could not have found all the good stuff if it is there because of this problem, if this was in a public place it is the kind of site many hunters would just avoid because of the difficulty and frustration possible.

I don't use that Pro but it is a very capable unit to use here.
You are having some good luck and bad luck...
Good because you have such a great historical site to hunt, bad because you don't have the skills to be able to hunt it successfully...yet.
Asking for help is a great first step, hunting in iron successfully is possible but even if you get some good advice on settings, techniques and tips it still takes some practice but even a little more knowledge might help you out and let you find a few good targets with less frustration.

I can suggest doing a little more cherry picking at first, disc out everything you can and just aim for the high tones and try to quickly learn some skills that will let you tell the good target high conductive targets from iron which sorry to say might mimic coins...but not perfectly every time.
If you find a spot that seemed to have a lot if traffic maybe stake it out and dig targets in a small area...maybe 10X10'.
Even digging some iron will help because of masking problems, lots of work but in a site like this it might be worth it.
I have a saying I always think of when I come across a site with extreme iron or more than unusual amounts if trash that keeps my head on straight and my efforts on point...
"FORTUNE FAVORS THE BOLD!"

The large area you have to hunt is overwhelming, cut it down to smaller chunks so it will be mentally less daunting.

You have a site many if us would kill to have a chance to hunt so jealous.

Repost this in the sub-forum How to use Your Metal Detector below this one and you should get more responses since this one is more for general greeting and not so much about the technical stuff.
Use the heading...

"HELP...How to use the AT Pro in heavy iron"...

That way Pro users can notice it and give advice and there are a ton of them here with some great skills.

Good luck!

Thanks digger

I'm going to go again this morning. Going to try and keep it simple and do the cherry picking like you said. Hope for a bit of success. Really appreciate the advice. Have a good one.

i got a bunch of killer spots that i can look when ever i want and can dig like a armadillo. the bad thing is they are full of trash and tons of iron the only thing keeping me digging is i know the good stuff is mixed in there. them bent nails will drive you crazy and sardine cans sound like money so dig it and go slow. so far from what i have dug when you hit iron my machine is very jumpy and when its goes over a coin it will give a very good distinct signal. i would rather hunt a spot covered with iron then one thats full of potted meat cans and pulltabs and bottle caps.

I'm going to go again this morning. Going to try and keep it simple and do the cherry picking like you said. Hope for a bit of success. Really appreciate the advice. Have a good one.

There are ways to tell iron from good targets using most detectors, techniques that can help you target and pick out the good stuff a little easier but they are different using different brands and units.
If you were using a top end Fisher I could give you lots of technical and setting advice because I have tons of experience in sites like this....on that Pro you use I don't have a clue.
Others do and they will chime in and help I am sure.

Because of the many kinds of targets possible cherry picking high tones is good, maybe lower the disc little by little over time because buttons, bullets, nickels and other good targets will come in lower.

Cherry picking the high tones for awhile might keep your sanity and is a bit higher percentage way of helping you find that one great target...maybe, that will keep you going with a little more confidence if you can.

What DIGGER27 said!!

Plus... sometimes you just GOTTA dig up that Iron and get it out of there. Remember, relics are made from Iron many times more than not, you just never know what cool relics are waiting for you to discover them also... UNLESS you're just coinshooting.

I have a hunting buddy who digs all the signals in "good" sites and if it's Iron junk he throws it in a bucket, at the end of the month he scraps it and has done very well cash-wise on junk!

With the AT-Pro and the 5x8" coil my advice from experience is working the area v-e-r-y slooow. I hunt in water that there is no area that is iron free, fishing hook nightmare. I run my AT-Pro wide open no discrimination and I just listen threw all the grunts for that tiny ever so slight higher tone. Its not easy and it deters most detectorists away from that swim area, especially Excal operators :lol: But persistence has paid off several times. I've pulled out several nickels so I know that if there's a gold object down there I will hear it, and have recovered several silver rings and cross pendants from that area. Now after about an hour and a half I get hearing fatigue and usually call it for the day for that area and go to a less noisy area.

Just stay at it and learn as you go, the dirt will teach you.....ask for help here if you have to.....keep that kind of place to yourself, dont bring in any experienced guys..those kind of places just dont come along everyday...Nice write up..GL and HH!
Mud

I don't use a lot of forums so I'm not even sure what's the most effective way or place to ask a question. Probably either here or in relic/coin hunting section. Basically I'm pretty new to the hobby but have been busting my rear for about a month. On average a few hours everyday. Put in 7 today alone. I had a bounty hunter 2 until I just got the Garrett at pro w 5x8 dd coil a few days ago. Huge difference obviously. Also have the pinpointer by Garrett, lesche shovel and garden knife. But the thing that's killing me is I have access to what should be an amazing place but I am not having much luck.

I have been given permission to search on 300 acres of property that sits right off of route 11 near Winchester va. It's prime location for civil war relics. But this property is more. There is a home on this farm land that was built in the mid-1700's. Owners still live there. This place has been documented to have had the likes of George Washington stay here, as well as Stonewall Jackson. They farm probably 1/3 of the land. I was told the they have let people metal detect a bit in the fields over the years and they suspect a few people have done it at night without permission. I can't use the fields now because they have crops growing. But I was told I can go pretty much anywhere else I like and that likely no one had really ever detected much in the woods (thick). I wasn't told specifically if I could search near the home and so I've been a bit timid and haven't searched very near to the home due to the lawn being nice around it. But, I've searched a lot within 50 yds of the home on the lawn as it heads downhill towards rt 11. Today I focused on the path that was once the road/driveway that led to route 11. I've searched around old trees, and ground depressions...and all over the front yard (about 25-50 yds away from the home. The owner told me some "legends" like where they were told the slave quarters once were, and where there is a spring maybe 100 yds out the back of the home that had been built up w stone and that maybe there was a tunnel that led from the house to the spring, and there is a quarry where they got the stone from for the house...and right next to the house are two log cabins that are original and still stand (leaning pretty far though). Sounds amazing right? I haven't had the opportunity to be in the house yet but likely will soon.

But the biggest problem is, there is iron EVERYWHERE! In most places I search I can't go 6-12 inches in any direction without hearing one or several low beeps from a variety of iron large and small. Nails to pieces the size of your whole hand. I have been using the pro setting. The first 10 hours using the at pro I used coin setting and iron disc to 40, then would use the iron audio when I thought I heard something good. Usually it was a mass of several iron pieces and I would move on. But if I wasn't sure I'd dig it up and sure enough it was usually a very thick piece of old farm or plow equipment iron or maybe a horseshoe. This place was extremely active. Today I searched all afternoon and tried using zero -pro and just listen to all the iron. Thought I had a good plan working my way slowly on the path that was the driveway back in the day. I only found junk metal...and lots of it. Usually it's about 6 inches down. Sometimes more or less. Usually if I dig it up its a large chunk of heavy iron or flat folded up tin or something like tin or old nails etc. mostly large chunks of iron scattered literally everywhere. The only things I've found of any significance is a brass button - Union general infantry - with the eagle on it. I found a minie ball and a piece of grapeshot. But those last two were found in a field far from the house before the crops started growing and with my old detector. Since being near the house I'm really focusing on coins. The only coin I've found is a 1982 nickel. šŸ™ So I know it's a lot to read, but I was so pumped to be able to detect on this property and now I feel like I'm losing my mind. I just need one good find to keep me going. I know I have a lot more to explore at this land. It is so huge. But I keep asking myself if my AT pro can handle the depth here. I'm sure it can. I just wonder if stuff is way deep due to how I've found almost nothing, but I'll periodically find bullet casings 6 inches down that are likely less than 100yrs old. I've read lots on how to defeat the iron beast. But right now it's winning. I would really appreciate any advice anyone can offer. Including if I should ask this really long question elsewhere. I'm close to bringing in a more experienced person to come in and see what they think. I think I know what I'm doing but maybe I really just don't...sigh...Thanks everyone. hope to hear some good ideas.

Be patient enjoy yourself,,,,will take a long time to hunt this property,,will take years on and off.

The best part,,,sounds like you have a site--- will definitely bring some great learning no matter what detector you run across it.

With time,,,your eyebrows likely to be raised more than once,,,at what you find,,what you find even when rehunting spots you thought nothing existed or you thought you cleaned out.

Lastly here.
How are the soil mineral levels,,,,if they are high,,,some different tactics may have to be employed,,,as your detector will have more of a tendency to lie to you,,,calling even some good nonferrous targets iron,,,and calling some higher conductor targets lower conductors.

Cheers and happy detecting.

I hunted Iron beach out here with my ATpro and my settings were iron disc out to40. I was looking for silver coins with 5by8 coil and sweep slow. when I hear a high tone I dig. Patience I recommend. Take your time.
I think I will go back to Iron beach sometime and look for more even though it might be empty.:crazy::lol:

Sounds like you have your sensitivity to high. Try 3 - 4 notches empty.

Lift your detector off the ground and see if the number drops or scan the edges very slowly.

Don't assume because target a is newer and 10" deep old target b will be way deeper. This is not true at all.
There are so many possible ways a new target can drop way deeper.

Oh and stop hunting there until you figure your machine out. It's messing with your head. :P I made this mistake when I first got my AT pro and after I got better iv rechecked my self on so many spots finding great things iv missed the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First, how are you utilizing the AT Pro's Iron Audio feature? If you're not interested in iron, run it all the way up. With so much iron in the ground you'll still be hearing some grunts and groans, but it will help a little.

Second, can you research the site a little further? Are there any old maps showing what might have been going on in the areas that are now covered in forest? What kind of Rev War/Civil War history occurred on the site? Just a visit by important people or were their soldiers encamped there? Where exactly were they encamped? It is likely the areas that are now forested were not covered in trees in the 1860s. I would start with the areas that are as far away from the heavy, agricultural work areas as I can and concentrate on finding where other activities might have happened.

I have found that true already - I know now that what I thought I knew a month ago was garbage...lol

First, how are you utilizing the AT Pro's Iron Audio feature? If you're not interested in iron, run it all the way up. With so much iron in the ground you'll still be hearing some grunts and groans, but it will help a little.

Second, can you research the site a little further? Are there any old maps showing what might have been going on in the areas that are now covered in forest? What kind of Rev War/Civil War history occurred on the site? Just a visit by important people or were their soldiers encamped there? Where exactly were they encamped? It is likely the areas that are now forested were not covered in trees in the 1860s. I would start with the areas that are as far away from the heavy, agricultural work areas as I can and concentrate on finding where other activities might have happened.

Yes - I intend to research further - so far just have tried online, but I will need to look at some old maps if they exist. I've endeavored to try and find the main road (very long driveway) from the home to Rt.11, as it is nowhere near what it is now. I think I have a good idea. How do I find good info on where (as closely as I can find out) encampments happened? I know that Stonewall Jackson's troops camped within a 1/4 mile of here and as far as I know maybe some where on this property....

I have never used an AT Pro but I have a few suggestions that should help. The first thing you should do is slow down your swing. How do I know you are swinging too fast? We all did it when we started. The faster you sweep the coil the harder it is to separate targets. Once you get your sweep speed properly slowed down an iron target every 6 to 12 inches shouldn't be a killer for finding good targets. I consider that a pretty clean site. Think small! By that I mean don't try and detect an area even 1/4 acre in size. Mark you out a spot maybe 20ft by 50ft and thoroughly cover the area. When you get a good sounding target use the pinpoint function to determine how large it is. Try practicing this at home because it is a very useful trick for weeding out large iron or trash targets. Pinpoint a coin laying on the surface with your coil 4 to 6in above it and do the same with a larger piece of iron. You will notice that the pinpoint tone is much smaller with the coin than large iron. With a little practice you can soon eliminate a lot of large iron. When you get a good tone and then pinpoint does the pinpoint seem to be in a slightly different place than the coin or high tone was? That is another sign of iron. The coin tone comes from a point or edge on the iron and the pinpoint signal is strongest from the center of the target. There are other tips and tricks specific to your machine but I am not familiar with it. I hope this helps cause 300 acres is years of detecting and it sounds like the site has great potential.

I have never used an AT Pro but I have a few suggestions that should help. The first thing you should do is slow down your swing. How do I know you are swinging too fast? We all did it when we started. The faster you sweep the coil the harder it is to separate targets. Once you get your sweep speed properly slowed down an iron target every 6 to 12 inches shouldn't be a killer for finding good targets. I consider that a pretty clean site. Think small! By that I mean don't try and detect an area even 1/4 acre in size. Mark you out a spot maybe 20ft by 50ft and thoroughly cover the area. When you get a good sounding target use the pinpoint function to determine how large it is. Try practicing this at home because it is a very useful trick for weeding out large iron or trash targets. Pinpoint a coin laying on the surface with your coil 4 to 6in above it and do the same with a larger piece of iron. You will notice that the pinpoint tone is much smaller with the coin than large iron. With a little practice you can soon eliminate a lot of large iron. When you get a good tone and then pinpoint does the pinpoint seem to be in a slightly different place than the coin or high tone was? That is another sign of iron. The coin tone comes from a point or edge on the iron and the pinpoint signal is strongest from the center of the target. There are other tips and tricks specific to your machine but I am not familiar with it. I hope this helps cause 300 acres is years of detecting and it sounds like the site has great potential.

Thanks PhilB - I do need to slow down. But I also think my average of iron every 6-12 inches was low. It really depends on where I am on the site of course. The big iron is everywhere just scattered around and then in the midst of that is your square nails and of course little chunks of iron from nail and wire. I'm struggling being able to pick out faint good signals AND trust them - or get them to repeat when I do hear them...and IF I do get them to repeat I generally hear it bounce around and hear the grunting of iron on its edges and I have dug up so many nails I just assume its another nail.....sigh...so, getting a little frustrated that after putting in at least 25 hours at this site all I have to show for it is probably 20 lbs of iron, 4 buttons, 2 minies (both flat bottomed btw) and a 1982 nickel...yes 1982. So, I'm starting to think that EVERYTHING (that isn't iron) here is super deep (my auto gb is at 83-84...mostly the ground is black and crumbly in the first 6 inches and then it becomes kind of a reddish clay), and despite having had my AT Pro for just a few weeks (5x8DD) I've already started looking at other coils...(I probably need somebody to walk me away from the ledge lol...I need grounded)

I'm not very experienced with forums btw - should I try and re-post my concerns above in another forum and see if I get more advice on where to go from here? For now I will just keep plugging away and get more and more familiar w the ATP. Thanks again...

Thanks PhilB - I do need to slow down. But I also think my average of iron every 6-12 inches was low. It really depends on where I am on the site of course. The big iron is everywhere just scattered around and then in the midst of that is your square nails and of course little chunks of iron from nail and wire. I'm struggling being able to pick out faint good signals AND trust them - or get them to repeat when I do hear them...and IF I do get them to repeat I generally hear it bounce around and hear the grunting of iron on its edges and I have dug up so many nails I just assume its another nail.....sigh...so, getting a little frustrated that after putting in at least 25 hours at this site all I have to show for it is probably 20 lbs of iron, 4 buttons, 2 minies (both flat bottomed btw) and a 1982 nickel...yes 1982. So, I'm starting to think that EVERYTHING (that isn't iron) here is super deep (my auto gb is at 83-84...mostly the ground is black and crumbly in the first 6 inches and then it becomes kind of a reddish clay), and despite having had my AT Pro for just a few weeks (5x8DD) I've already started looking at other coils...(I probably need somebody to walk me away from the ledge lol...I need grounded)

I'm not very experienced with forums btw - should I try and re-post my concerns above in another forum and see if I get more advice on where to go from here? For now I will just keep plugging away and get more and more familiar w the ATP. Thanks again...

Perhaps you should try some other sites. I know some of the "good" sites I hunted when I first started detecting gave up nothing. I went back to them after I got some experience and could not believe what I had missed.:lol: The moisture content in the ground also determines how bad the iron will be. The more moisture in the soil the worse the iron sounds off. As iron rusts the iron oxide leaches out into the soil around it. A high moisture content will cause all the iron oxide in the "halo" to become conductive and give off a signal. This causes iron to appear a much larger target to the detector. I try to detect my iron rich sites when the ground is dry.

Back
Top Bottom