What I learned from my first scoop.

rocketmoon2

Well after a year of use, my Minnesota metal detecting scoop was getting a bit flimsy. First big lesson was build the appropriate scoop for what you plan on hunting for. After scooping several deep deep holes my scoop started to flex. I attribute this excess flexing and eventual cracking to the lack of an extra renforcment plate below the handle mount rectangle and the two braces to the handle. Cracks would form rarely at first but eventually every other hunt it seemed I would be rewelding somthing. Two other points of consideration were too many holes, and the angle of the handle. Last was my own use of the scoop, im fairly rough on them.

More to the point, I made a new scoop for this year, Its approximently 8.5" in diameter by 6-8" deep with a cutting point. I had some left over metal at work which was originally similar to a fence post, cut it open, pounded it flat, and then rolled the scoop shape. I used an extra piece of plate below all scoop handle mounts for extra strength. The rear brace plate doubles as a kick point as well now, and I gave the scoop handle more of an angle for ease of use. I went with larger holes but fewer holes for strength, 5/8" holes to be exact so a dime will not pass through. As a side note, if you decide to make a scoop, do yourself a favor and get a tapered drill bit that goes from a very small size to a large size in a cone shape, sure saves time switching drill bits, bought mine and harbor freight for $6 and was well worth the investment)

Here are the pics of the old scoop which is red and new scoop which is yellow In one picture you see a Dewalt 18v battery for size reference. There are more pictures of the original design of the old scoop under the post titled "Minnesota Scoop" in this same section. Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• old scoop 1.jpg
    old scoop 1.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 590
  • old scoop new scoop 2.jpg
    old scoop new scoop 2.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 591
  • new scoop 3.jpg
    new scoop 3.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 580
  • new scoop 4.jpg
    new scoop 4.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 591
  • new scoop 5.jpg
    new scoop 5.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 594
I can see where the holes on the first scoop would become a problem. Looks like your old one took a beating from all your gold digging, but the new one looks nice and tough rocket!! The holes on the bigger one look to be spaced very well. GL and HH

Not bad at all, scoops are tuff making. One thing for sure, your scoop will remove the sand.....I have a diablo, super fluid sand goes right thur the holes, not removing much sand..your scoop would work in places like that.....:thumbsup:

Nice lookin rig. I built a scoop recently too, but I haven't put a handle on it yet. I'm not sure what the benefits of different handle angles would be. Probably depends if you use it like a shovel and "push", or like a rake and "pull".

Not bad at all, scoops are tuff making. One thing for sure, your scoop will remove the sand.....I have a diablo, super fluid sand goes right thur the holes, not removing much sand..your scoop would work in places like that.....:thumbsup:

Hopefully ill have the right balance of removing sand vs. not enough holes and clogging up, i'll find out in a few months once the ice is off

Back
Top Bottom