Tracker IV project started

Dig-on

Forum Supporter
The winter is upon me here in Maine, so it is time for a small project. I am wanting to make a smaller case for it. I am leaving out the speaker and useless kick meter. The first step is to move the disc and sens. pots off the board so they can be mounted in a faceplate. The tone switch is going to be left on the side. I am considering cutting out the battery compartment from the original case and mounting it under the arm cuff, with a wire running inside the pole. I will update as I go. My soldering skills are a little less than amateur btw :grin: Thanks for looking

The beginning
project1.jpg

The pots moved
project2.jpg

project3.jpg

These are interesting mods....and the BH Tracker 4 is a good candidate for such a project.

When you're done, you'll have an economy detector with good versatility.

My wife and I both use a BH Tracker 4, and it's treating us well, giving us good "finds".

Please keep us updated as you continue you project.

FjLee Denver CO

I am probably going to be building the case from scratch. I will keep you updated on the project.
The Tracker is one of the more versatile machines out there today. It is very underrated. Most consider it a toy, but it is not one.

Wow, you are really simplifying the BH. Can't wait to see what it looks like when done! GL

Thanks Midknight. It is basically done now. All I want to do is smooth the sharp edges.

King, thanks for showing interest in my meager project :) I discovered a project box at Radio Shack that is the same exact size as the one I built, but I have yet to pick it up. I also need to pick up some new 9V connectors, since the ones on it are getting pretty worn after 10 years. I hope to get these items in the next week. I will post a pick when I get things back together.

Done :)

It is finally finished. I did away with the battery compartment under the arm cuff. The reason was I ended up having room in my main box for them. It feels very light weight. The main weight of it is in-line with the rod. That keeps the weight from tipping side to side. Ergonomically it is a success. Less plastic helps a lot. There is a lot of trimming that can be done to this machine. My total investment was about 8 bucks. That is the project box, and 2 new 9v connectors. The battery compartment is isolated from the board. I also have a small piece of foam to keep them from moving around. 4 screws to change the batteries, but they last a long time anyway.

2013-02-21_13-58-59_469_zps910a21d1.jpg

2013-02-21_14-05-41_325_zps370eec66.jpg

2013-02-21_14-06-01_682_zps4d63b23f.jpg

Just curious... Why?

Not to sound rude here... looks like ya did a great job, but, WHY? Did you take any weight off? It's no more waterproof is it? Now you basically have a Fast Tracker with a Tone/Disc switch eh?

Good looking work though, really. :yes:

Not to sound rude here... looks like ya did a great job, but, WHY? Did you take any weight off? It's no more waterproof is it? Now you basically have a Fast Tracker with a Tone/Disc switch eh?

Good looking work though, really. :yes:
Really just for the weight savings. Even a fast tracker will weigh more than mine. I also just wanted to do it :)

Really just for the weight savings. Even a fast tracker will weigh more than mine. I also just wanted to do it :)

Cool! So how much weight did you lose? "Just Because" sounds like as good a reason as any to me!

Good job!

Thanks Robby. I will weigh my modded one and my other one next week and let ya know. I will say it feels as light as a compadre now. Could be the balance that helps out too. It definetly gave me something to do in the winter months :)

So what radio shack project box you end up using? Still have the number? I'm thinking about getting one tomorrow and doing some work

Hey, pretty cool. Nice work.
Any reason you didn't make the low battery LED visible? Seems like it'd be equally easy to embed in the side of the box. Just Curious. Cool mod otherwise. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom