Building a Pinpoint Probe

ToddB64

Elite Member
Has anyone built the pinpointer described at the following web address ?

http://www.tomstreasures.com/probe.html

If so, would appreciate your comments/opinion on how well it works.
I like the idea of building my own pinpointer and enjoy small electrical
projects, so I'm thinking about giving this one a try. I contacted Gardner
Bender and the current msrp on the GPD-902 unit is $17.xx, plus tax and
S&H. I am shopping around to see if I can find a retailer that has one on the shelf, so as to save on the S&H costs.

If this doesn't work out, I'll buy the Wizard Vib-Probe (pistol shaped),
as I've read some good reports about it from FMD members and the last time I checked the price was $34.95. You can see it at the following :

http://www.billsdetectorsales.com/pinpointers.html

Thanks for all replies on this !   :D

ToddB64
Ace250

Hey robpatt !   :D

I havn't built the pinpointer yet.........trying to get an unbiased
opinion from someone who has.

Thanks for asking.....if I build one, I'll post my results
here for anyone else who might be interested.

ToddB64
Ace250

As we dont have specialized metal detector dealers here in Finland I too pondered about the pinpointer.

I decided to buy a kit from Velleman, it is a very simple detector with only 20 components or so. They claimed it has a 8 cm detection distance but I doubt it..though it seems to sense a coin from about 2-3 cm away. I'll have to rewind the coils and see if I can get any improvement. It uses a red led as indicator, though the board has a place for an optional piezo buzzer.

Price was 12 euros, not including any kind of a box. I'll post my experiences about this kit after I'll scrounge up a box for it and manage to do some field testing.

The code of this kit is K7102, if anyone is interested. Dunno if these kits are sold in the US.

Voriax

I found a little wizard II from Ace hardware for 18.95. I took it apart and cut hole in the end of it and added a 4 inch long thin walled plastic tube. I moved the coil and put it into the end of the tube. There is only 1 screw that holds the little wizard so I added some nuts and bolts to make it more solid. I played with the fine tuning and here is my results. On air test I can pick up a mecury dime(so worn can't read the date) at 1 inch, newer dimes and pennies 1.25 inches, nickels at 1.5 inches, quarters at 1.5-1.6, walking liberty at 1.75 inches. The only problem I had was the coil is hot glued inside the case was tricky to remove it with damage. The battery cover is junk I had to use duck tape on it. You have to adjust it everytime to just right before it beeps for max sensitity.
It does have 5 leds that will light up as you get closer or touch the item. The second led only lights up within about 1/4 of the coin then I get 4 lights when I touch the coin.

Hi Voriax and Stainless Steel Rat !  :grin:

Thanks for sharing your experiences thus far with "Building a Pinpoint Probe".

When I first saw the instructions on tomstreasures website for building a pinpointer utilizing the Gardner-Bender GPD-902, I was very impressed.

I thought surely there would be several out there who have used these particular instructions, and could give us some comment on how satisfied
they were with the assembly process and pinpointer performance. So far,
no luck.

I'll give it another couple of weeks, then if no feedback I'll go
ahead on my own. It looks good and I think it will be fun to build.

Thanks again for your reponses !   ;)

ToddB64
Ace250

rcasi44 said:
Well, did you ever bulid it?  Rob

Rob........Just recently acquired a Gardner-Bender #GPD-902 detector. This is the one listed in the Dan Clark plans on Tom's
Treasures Internet Magazine link: http://www.tomstreasures.com/probe.html, to be used as the electronic platform.
My local electrical supply house ordered it for me; the cost was $16.57 + 1.08 tax = $17.65 total and it came with a 9 Volt
battery.
I already had on hand all the other items required, except for the 1/2" PVC water pipe and end caps which I just bought.

I'm eager to start this little project as soon as I can, however, right now I'm going through the process of cataract surgery on both eyes with lens implants and lots of eye drops !  :shock:  So it may be awhile before I can do any small detail work :o(.

I'll be sure to post a report after completing and trying out the pinpointer. Wish I could give you the lowdown sooner, but that's life !

Thanks for your interest Rob and HH !

Todd  :grin:

Back
Top Bottom