Beaches

trout

Forum Supporter
I am finally in a state where i can do some beach hunting and being new to it I have a few questions that hopefully can get answered.

I have read on these forums that beaches that are sanded in are bad, why is this? My thinking is if the water pushed all this new sand up onto the shore would that not also push potential new targets up there also.
and regarding beach replenishment since they take the sand from farther out in the water where only the scuba detectors can reach also would that not give more potential targets. Any help in understanding why this thinking isn't correct would be appreciated.

Good targets such as gold have a heavier density than sand so it's harder for waves to push them up. When replenishing a beach there are screens on the pumps. However, it's possible to find stuff. Gold tends to follow gravity. (Get under the over burden)

The one time I had the opportunity to beach hunt was in Mississippi shortly after Katrina. They were in the process of dredging new sand onto the beach from about 1/4 mile out. I found a 1947 quarter that was probably from the dredged sand. All I found on the original beach was hurricane debris (some of which was interesting).

"Soft" sand is what comes to my mind when I hear "sanded-in". When the wet sand is soft the heavier targets are usually going to be too deep to find. :yes:

An example...... wind shifts to the N., that stops the natural movement S and starts building sand. On my beaches there is an outer stand bar.....when the wind changes coming from the W. it slowly pushes soft sand....... basically collating it. Heavy targets like gold arent moving as easily as the sand so all you get is light JUNK and sand. It also closes all the cuts. The move sand moves toward the beach the more heavy targets like gold gets buried.... with say 30 more feet of sand in front now the waves dont break so its not cutting near shore.

That sand is way out there being brought in.....and its screened. The sand is very fine compared to inland sand to...... so what happens...... it dont stay there and moves into the water... basicly creating a sanded in situation. You dont realize it but gold is 10 times heavier than sand and when you dump 3 or 4" of sand on top of gold and a detector gets 10" you arent getting to it without a lot of movement.

trout, you have excellent answers so far.

When the sand moves "in" is a slow process, where it's 99% "sand", and very few heavy targets. Hence soft incoming sand, that can be essentially sterile. But when the sand moves OUT (storm erosion), then 10 ft. of sand can disappear overnight. Leaving the heavier targets hopefully left in a sluice-box like fashion on the inter-tidal wet.

And re.: dredge sand: The only metal targets that come in with that sand (in my experience) is some aluminum, at best. Not sure whether that's because there's screens on the intake pipes, or the suction is only strong enough to lift sand (and not metal targets).

Another thing to remember is water is at its heaviest around 4 degree depending on your location. For example; getting hit by a wave that's 75 degrees would be a slap. Getting hit by the same wave that is 4 degrees would be a punch. This heavier water Has the ability to move sand around that couldn't be moved around during summer weather. This means you can get extreme erosion or sanded in conditions during the colder months (noreaster?)

Another thing to remember is water is at its heaviest around 4 degree depending on your location. For example; getting hit by a wave that's 75 degrees would be a slap. Getting hit by the same wave that is 4 degrees would be a punch. This heavier water Has the ability to move sand around that couldn't be moved around during summer weather. This means you can get extreme erosion or sanded in conditions during the colder months (noreaster?)

I've only been to an ocean beach a few times in my life and have never detected one. Cold water is heavier?? I'm going to have to consult Mr Wizard on that one. Is the volume of water more dense because of constricted, cold, water molecules?

Thanks all for the responses it was very interesting to learn the nuances of sand

I've only been to an ocean beach a few times in my life and have never detected one. Cold water is heavier?? I'm going to have to consult Mr Wizard on that one. Is the volume of water more dense because of constricted, cold, water molecules?

Cold water is heavier because it has to wear a jacket and gloves. Sorry in a silly mood tonight :) :laughing:

Earlier this month i detected for 4 hours on a badly sanded-in beach. Total finds for my effort was one clad quarter, one clad dime and 15 zinc pennies. I worked almost 4 blocks of wet beach in two different areas.

What happens to a pot of water as you slowly start to boil it? Does the water Level go up or down ? Same weight.. maybe I'm just not describing myself clearly.

Back
Top Bottom