Silver Coins in Circulation??? Transactions

demyansk1942

Elite Member
Hi,

I was thinking about this while driving to work today.

Does anyone ever come across silver coins in cash transactions anymore?

I don't mean coin rolls or detecting. Just everyday getting change at the gas station, dunk in donuts, supermarket and those type of places. I always look at my change, but I think it's been years since I received a silver coin in general transactions.

Not in a long time, I have found a few in Coinstar machines though so silver is still out there.
Probably just a few of the people that use these things dump silver in them and even less that do forget to check the return tray but it does happen.

I consider these machines the silver discriminator of coins still in public hands and they do their job very well.

The only times I've seen silver in "circulation" in recent years is when it's been stolen and spent at the local convenience store...

I come across it every now and then. Usually dimes. My buddy was given a silver dime a couple weeks ago. A couple months ago I was walking downtown and found a silver quarter in a parking lot.

I've come by a silver quarter and a silver dime. Both about two years ago. From two different stores nonetheless.

I carry no cash so nothing in change but those CoinStar's have been generous for me lately..

Seems very few use cash nowadays. I know of only two besides myself.
Four years ago I received two silver quarters In two weeks time. I also got a war nickel about two months ago.

As a side note, from 2009-2015, I roll hunted a lot of dimes, about $150k.
I averaged one silver dime per $140, and roughly half of these dimes came from circulating rolls.

Last year while in Florida, I received a Mercury dime in my change at a grocery store.
Last month, I somehow got another Merc from McDonald's here.

The last I got in change was about 10 years ago.. I got a Rosie from a Burger King drive thru

I got a 64 Rosie earlier this summer from the local dairy queen....also got a silver Canadian dime from the post office in change last fall. My mother got a Buff in her change a couple weeks ago. I always check my change even though it has only happened twice to me.

In the last 6 months or so, the copier coin box at my library has coughed up two rosies and a 63 quarter. Also came across two buffalo nickels while working retail for a few months, but my girlfriend helpfully fed them to the Coinstar one afternoon while I was at work.

When my wife worked at a grocery store last year she found a V nickel in her change and brought it home for me... I tried to school her in silvers but she wasn't interested...

Sounds like they are out there, one just needs to do more cash transactions to improve the odds of finding them. Unfortunately for me, most of my transactions are either debit card or checks! Hmmm, maybe I need to invest in some coin vending machines...:shifty:

Back
Top Bottom