Brass sliding port hole door thing.. NEED Help to Identify this.

Dogfisch

I found this on a beach at low tide in a seaside town in Massachusetts. At this location I also found lots of musket balls, shoe buckles, powder flask parts and coins dated from the 1700's. Its a part to something.. but I can't figure out what.. Please help ID this sliding door thing.

Attachments

• IMG_8350.jpg
    IMG_8350.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_8351.jpg
    IMG_8351.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_8352.jpg
    IMG_8352.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_8354.jpg
    IMG_8354.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_8355.jpg
    IMG_8355.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 384
I cant be certain , but since function usually gives hints at intended use this looks like what you might see on a container or tank that held fuel or other liquid. An access point where you might put a stick in to gauge whatever is left of the contents. Could be way off , but that's what this looks like it would be useful for.

My guess: its a bathroom(PortaPotty) door indicator latch. It would have read "Open" or "Vacant" until the latch was slid over, revealing an "Occupied" status.

Last edited:
LOL well if its either one of those things it could really use a sharpening. No edge on it I'm afraid, its deffenatqy a door of some kind.

Very Interesting.. my first thought was oh easy one Cigar cutter .. then I noticed the size.

What gets me is how the heck do you grab on to that thing to even slide it easily? and doesn't look like there are any screw holes to bolt it to anything..
so to me it looks like it has a stand alone type function.

could it be another type of cutter say for hose/tube or something?

Back
Top Bottom