Digital gram scale

Flush Draw

Elite Member
Anyone have a suggestion on a digital scale for weighing gold and jewelry? Is there one better then the other? I see several of the pocket size scales on ebay and others too. Looks like a fairly inexpensive peice to have. Opinions, other options?

Anyone have a suggestion on a digital scale for weighing gold and jewelry? Is there one better then the other? I see several of the pocket size scales on ebay and others too. Looks like a fairly inexpensive peice to have. Opinions, other options?

PM JBEXPRESS, he is selling some pocket scales

Just bought these and I'm quite satisfied. I would recommend getting the calibration weight for whichever scale you choose. Note that some scales require different calibration weights as the calibration mode asks for a specific weight. The 100g weight is correct for the scale listed below. If you have an Amazon prime account, shipping is free.

100 Gram Chrome Scale Calibration Weight
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EG6T0A/ref=ox_ya_os_product

American Weigh Signature Series Black AWS-100 Digital Pocket Scale, 100 by 0.01 G
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012LOQUQ/ref=ox_ya_os_product

I PMed you.. I have a few 1000g Pocket scales for sale.

If you are looking for finer accuracy for lighter weights, I use this one to match .177 caliber pellets for air rifle competitions.

http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-Gemini-20-Portable-Milligram/dp/B0012TDNAM

Max 20 grams
10 grams = 50 carats = 154.32 grains
1 carat = 0.2 grams = 3.09 grains

I get 0.02 grain accuracy when matching up 7 - 9 grain pellets.
Thats 0.001296 gram accuracy for .45 - .58 gram pellets

(yes it does make a difference at the target)

PS Dont breath or have any air movement in the room if you want this accuracy.

Max 20 grams
10 grams = 50 carats = 154.32 grains
1 carat = 0.2 grams = 3.09 grains

I get 0.02 grain accuracy when matching up 7 - 9 grain pellets.
Thats 0.001296 gram accuracy for .45 - .58 gram pellets.
+1
As an old reloader, I have been using nothing but grain scales (both analog and digital) for the last 40yrs. If you want accuracy, reloading scales can't be beat! I stake my health and well being on it every time I pull the trigger. :yes:

If there's ever a better, cheaper, place to buy one of these scales besides Ebay...I'd be super surprised. I bought two already, one is a 500g, 0.1 accuracy, less than $7. Second is a 100g, 0.01 accuracy, less than $9. Ebay is the place. martin

Scales

I bought from Amazon, the Gemini-20 by american weigh scale, its a 20g X 0.001gr includes tray, tweezers and calibration weight. Its a high precision scale, and very accurate, need accuracy, when weighing finegold.

I have bought a portable digital scale in $10 and i think its enough for me to measure small weights. And it also depends on that how much weight you want to measure. Because my scale is best for small powder measurement.

http://www.scaleforless.com/Prime-Scales-PS-C30K-30KG-Counting-Scale/dp/B00BEDTW60

About the calibration weights. I've owned more than 4 of the digital scales which I got from Ebay ranging in price from $6 to $10, and none came with calibration weights. I did buy a cal weight for one just for grins.

In all the time I've been weighing detecting finds, and testing the integrity between each scale per the item of the day, I see an uncanny agreement on each w/o anything more required than hitting the Tare buttton first. My cal weight has collected dust for years.

Unless y'all are trying measuring flakes of gold, I feel you are over stressing on digital pocket scales. Ebay has always done me well on a $5-$10 set of scales, each measures "right in" in comparison, so unless every one of them is skewed/uncalibrated exactly the same...they are perfect for most of out needs in this hobby.

It might be an issue if you are lookeing to read 0.001g resolution which really requires a hood to stop any slight wind movements if you want it perfect. I can't personally imagine needing 0.001g accuracy myself.

If you are just wanting to weight your silver rings and basic detecting finds, you really can't beat Ebay. No driving, no tax, 2-3 days the Brown Santa comes to your door. All brick and mortar stores and those sellers buying and re-selling these things, have their markups. What do you get by electing to buy through those for ore cost? martin

About the calibration weights. I've owned more than 4 of the digital scales which I got from Ebay ranging in price from $6 to $15, and none came with calibration weights. I did buy a cal weight for one just for grins.

In all the time I've been weighing detecting finds, and testing the integrity between each scale per the item of the day, I see an uncanny agreement on each w/o anything more required than hitting the Tare buttton first. My cal weight has collected dust for years.

Unless y'all are trying measuring flakes of gold, I feel you are over stressing on digital pocket scales. Ebay has always done me well on a $5-$10 set of scales, each measures "right on" in comparison, so unless every one of the different spec scales is skewed/uncalibrated exactly the same...they are perfect for most of out needs in this hobby.

It might be an issue if you are looking to read 0.001g resolution which really requires a hood to stop any slight wind movements if you want it perfect. I can't personally imagine needing 0.001g accuracy myself but a cal weight would be cool to have.

If you are just wanting to weight your silver rings and basic detecting finds, you really can't beat Ebay. No driving, no tax, 2-3 days the Brown Santa comes to your door. All brick and mortar stores and those sellers buying and re-selling these things, have their markups. What do you get by electing to buy through those for more cost? martin

A modern nickel weighs 5 grams. You could use that to check the accuracy of your scale..... Like Martin said if it comes in at even like 4.6 to 5.4 or so Id call it close enough unless your measuring gold flake. For our purpose of weighing a ring or whatever I say close enough.

A modern nickel weighs 5 grams. You could use that to check the accuracy of your scale..... Like Martin said if it comes in at even like 4.6 to 5.4 or so Id call it close enough unless your measuring gold flake. For our purpose of weighing a ring or whatever I say close enough.

Thanks for the agreement. And yes, the nickel is 5 grams if not worn. I have to say though, my comparisons have never been as wide as 4.6 to 5.4, at least not with scales with resolutions of 0.1g or 0.01g. I am always within 0.1g when I test. A nickel is a good cal weight unless you are weighing large stuff or extremely small stuff(gold flakes.) Drug dealers would surely want scales that measures the hair off of a fly's back.

Yeah the one I have is always within 0.1g but I was just saying even it was off that far who cares. Its just giving you a general idea on weight so you know what to expect for a fair offer for stuff. To me anyhow a half of a gram isnt much.....

Back
Top Bottom