Who else thinks youtube was the beginning of the end?

relichead

Banned
Just in the last 5 or more yrs ...ive noticed the over abundance of youtube md channels..and i myself for one have noticed in the last 3 yrs untouched spots were all but impossible to come across.... if i was just getting in the hobby now..i think i would just sy the heck with it..i live near a huge area of land 23,000 plus acres...and even if its just stone walss and no homesites...there are just holes old and new everywhere you wanna look...itsmgetting soo discouraging.....im actually thinking about quiting...itsmjust not worth it to me anymore..5 yrs ago a 5 silver or more spot waas way more often..now ..forget about it..unless its a yard/permission.....youtube ruined this hobby:(:(

Im starting to discourage everyone who asks about md'ing..i tell em the hobby is dying quick...as time goes on spots are just getiing more and more useless ..and only thing getting replenished is clad(although les than just 6 yrs agao) and occasional gold or silver...

One thing for sure is i only have 2 machines left an at pro and a Nox and when they are toast..im finished...its just not as fun anymore..definitely wont be spending anymore money on new machines..:pullhair:

I still enjoy it a lot, I went out today and found some clad and a couple of wheats. Nothing to write home about, but an enjoyable day in a small hometown park. On my way home, I stopped at a larger new park, and when I was about 20 minutes into it, I started finding holes. It looked like no effort was made to make them look like it should. Even worse, beside a lot of the holes were dirt covered cans, bottle caps, etc. It looked like the person just dug them up and left them lay. I tried to pick some of it up and straighten up, but there were too many. I told my wife, it won't be long until we see "No Metal Detecting" signs in the parks. Sad part is - I don't blame the city if they do.

I started finding holes. It looked like no effort was made to make them look like it should. Even worse, beside a lot of the holes were dirt covered cans, bottle caps, etc. It looked like the person just dug them up and left them lay. I tried to pick some of it up and straighten up, but there were too many. I told my wife, it won't be long until we see "No Metal Detecting" signs in the parks. Sad part is - I don't blame the city if they do.

A few months ago I seen a man walking down the street with a metal detector in one hand and a full size garden shovel in the other. I stopped at the next parking lot to talk to the guy about detecting. Right away he talked about all the people he's seen on YouTube. During the conversation I found that he had been doing the public schools with a garden shovel. When I asked how plugs look after he filled them he kind of got an attitude. I said that is how people lose permissions and make it look bad for everybody. This is the type of person that ruins it for everybody.

Just in the last 5 or more yrs ...ive noticed the over abundance of youtube md channels..and i myself for one have noticed in the last 3 yrs untouched spots were all but impossible to come across.... if i was just getting in the hobby now..i think i would just sy the heck with it..i live near a huge area of land 23,000 plus acres...and even if its just stone walss and no homesites...there are just holes old and new everywhere you wanna look...itsmgetting soo discouraging.....im actually thinking about quiting...itsmjust not worth it to me anymore..5 yrs ago a 5 silver or more spot waas way more often..now ..forget about it..unless its a yard/permission.....youtube ruined this hobby:(:(

Im starting to discourage everyone who asks about md'ing..i tell em the hobby is dying quick...as time goes on spots are just getiing more and more useless ..and only thing getting replenished is clad(although les than just 6 yrs agao) and occasional gold or silver...

One thing for sure is i only have 2 machines left an at pro and a Nox and when they are toast..im finished...its just not as fun anymore..definitely wont be spending anymore money on new machines..:pullhair:

trust me, if they could "trespass" on private property, it would indeed be all over!
the only thing holding them back is the difficulty getting permission to hunt private property!..people GENERALLY do NOT want anyone on their property.it'a "liability" issue! what's left? "burnt" parks ,schools, ball fields, and other public places!..most of 'em "cooked" a long time ago! just gotta put up with it!,and be positive when ya hunt! i almost forgot! i have been wacking 'curb strips" i find my share but a lot of "!!!!" too most guys USED to pass 'em by!..now?..everybody wants to hunt them too! i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I still enjoy it a lot, I went out today and found some clad and a couple of wheats. Nothing to write home about, but an enjoyable day in a small hometown park. On my way home, I stopped at a larger new park, and when I was about 20 minutes into it, I started finding holes. It looked like no effort was made to make them look like it should. Even worse, beside a lot of the holes were dirt covered cans, bottle caps, etc. It looked like the person just dug them up and left them lay. I tried to pick some of it up and straighten up, but there were too many. I told my wife, it won't be long until we see "No Metal Detecting" signs in the parks. Sad part is - I don't blame the city if they do.

!!!!!!!! are everywhere! ..you cannot make people care!..apathy is contagious
in this hobby!..i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

A few months ago I seen a man walking down the street with a metal detector in one hand and a full size garden shovel in the other. I stopped at the next parking lot to talk to the guy about detecting. Right away he talked about all the people he's seen on YouTube. During the conversation I found that he had been doing the public schools with a garden shovel. When I asked how plugs look after he filled them he kind of got an attitude. I said that is how people lose permissions and make it look bad for everybody. This is the type of person that ruins it for everybody.

see post above!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I googled houses for sale in my area,,and about 30 percent came up with pics,dates built and a big old bank foreclosure on the post...So I figured why not,heck I even knew where the houses were from the signs out front..One was built in 1890...hit them up and a big fat 0,,few wheats at best.lol.
I live in western pa ,Miles and miles of fields everywhere,been thinking of trading the Etrac for a Deus and getting a pair of muck boots.
But I hear you,I like old coins and I even thought about just buying them here on the forum and finding somthing else to do,,at the price of silver it’s easier to buy them than find them.

I enjoy the thrill of the hunt whether I find a pocket full of silver or just a couple of wheats. Heck, I’d probably continue to hunt even if all the older coins dried up completely. Detecting is just relaxing to me.

I have a YouTube channel. I do it because I enjoy showing my hunts to like minded people and even my Grandkids. I enjoy watching other channels too. It’s just another way to share our hobby/finds with others. Not much different that posting pics of finds on a forum like this one IMHO. Definitely not trying to hurt the hobby. I love this hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I googled houses for sale in my area,,and about 30 percent came up with pics,dates built and a big old bank foreclosure on the post...So I figured why not,heck I even knew where the houses were from the signs out front..One was built in 1890...hit them up and a big fat 0,,few wheats at best.lol.
I live in western pa ,Miles and miles of fields everywhere,been thinking of trading the Etrac for a Deus and getting a pair of muck boots.
But I hear you,I like old coins and I even thought about just buying them here on the forum and finding somthing else to do,,at the price of silver it’s easier to buy them than find them.

this is true! silver's at what? 16 an oz?..smart money says dig clad all year and then buy silver at the end of the season! been doing that for a while now! helps to soften the blow of not findin' the shiny! i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I'm not going to let youtube stop me. There are still plenty of places to research and hunt. Silver, clad, Wheaties relics. Fun, relaxing and great workout.

It kind of reminds me of CB radio back in the 70's. Like metal detectors, CBs were a useful tool until it became a fad, attracting overuse by people not because they had a need for the tool, but because it was "cool". I'm not saying MDs should be licensed like ham radio, but that dealers should add more instructions emphasizing good MDing practices. The dealers here either already do that, or are selling to people who've done their research and know what they're getting into, but unfortunately, like cheap CBs, cheap MDs are also flooding the market. Maybe when the cheap MDs end up disappointing the users, some of the bad blood will leave.

Just griping as usual,

-- Tom

You live near that huge forest with all the cellar holes... there has to be some good stuff still in there..

Too much exposure has what's hurt this hobby. I started detecting in the early 1980's and there weren't that many folks out there detecting. There was still a lot to find including old stuff and silver coins. Silver coins are drying up because they aren't being minted anymore for general circulation. Clad is slowly drying up because so many people use credit or debit cards for very minor transactions instead of cash. YouTube and TV shows like "Diggers" have caused a lot of people to get into this hobby, and a number of these newbies are the bad apples so to speak, but the simple fact is more people digging, less to be found. I go out and enjoy detecting even though 99.9% of my finds are clad. As for YouTube videos....most are lame and some are just plain phony. Do I really need to watch a video of someone taking his new detector out of a box? Do I want to listen to some out of shape guy breathing heavy after every step or look at his dirty fingernails? No, No, and No !

Sounds more like bad parenting than Youtube's fault. People "grow up" without learning common sense respect for the land, public or private property...or other people, for that matter. These are the same people who litter the ground with pulltabs, foil wrappers, and other trash.
Sometimes you see it too often, or see the worst of it, like Relichead has seen here, but I still believe most people who start metal detecting, do it with more respect and sense than that.

I say "fight fire with fire!" Let's film and post all the litterbug/etc. action we can. Social media shaming seems to work, where parenting did not.

I would not compare your ability in the hobby against those on YouTube. Yes, there are an abundance of channels, but prior to them existing were you hitting less or more while you were out?

There is plenty of old sites still available, I door knock every weekend and I get permissions all the time; sometimes I will get "I already gave permission to a guy who comes around every once in awhile" and it is what it is...sometimes people knocked or got permissions years ago, or even a week before but that's the hobby.

As for giant fields, I'll take as many as you can give me if they have stone walls flanking them, I would rather swing in a giant corn or hay field with dead silence, than some park where the machine chimes off on every pull tab and screw cap - at least in a quiet field I know that when I get a hit and the number is good...game on.

As for purchasing new machines, I agree that you shouldn't buy into the newest machine will find more sell; any Garrett, Minelab, Whites, or Fischer above $500 will provide as much power and depth as you will really ever need, learning the machine is far better than spending thousands. My buddy has a CTX and although it's amazing at depth ID, my 705 keeps up with his any day...it's just having the ability to understand the machine and having the right coil (if you have a 705 just get the NEL Tornado 3-frequency coil, it's all you will ever need).

At the end of the day if you already have a good solid machine, why spend $1000+ to find .75? Sorry, but I've got to machines and I don't think I will ever upgrade, I'm good.

Again, this hobby is about having fun and putting in the 10,000 hours to become a pro at what you love.

I wonder about stuff like this. I know that when I'm done with a small park that its pretty well cleaned out. Anyone who hits a yard or small park behind me is gonna be sad especially if they are new. Over the winter I paddled my kayak miles of the beaten path to try to hit some virgin spots. When I got there iron was sitting on the rocks. Its the reality of the hobby. When the old stuff is gone its gone. Hopefully the newbs give up quick and we can get some deals on barely used detectors. Also in my area I feel that silver is mostly at the edge of detection due to depth and still sinking.

The iron on the rocks or cornerstones of an old foundation is calling card that even I use...LOL. It's just a way of letting anyone who thinks they found a Holy Grail site, that they ain't all that! The hobby is about having fun, but it's also one of healthy competition, and one of "who can get their first".

I love it when I'm driving past a field and I see someone (or a more) out detecting in a field I've already killed...it's like "good luck if you find something, but I didn't leave much".

Yesterday I was driving with my family and my son spotted two guys in an old park hitting the woods...I told my son that my buddy and I hit that area 3 years ago and it's dead city, nothing but pull tabs and pennies, we got skunked when we went there.

At the same time I recall at time I came up on a corner lot near the Erie Canal and saw two guys out, I stopped and chatted with them, they said that the place was killed and they had no hits. I went out the next weekend to the same spot and nailed my first Barber dime...so, sometimes places that seem hit, really still have something to give, but you really need to work hard to find it.

Don't hate the player...hate the game.

When I started hunting I had every spot to myself.
Last week I saw a video of 15 or so of my competitors setting off fireworks and cherry bombs beside their equinox/ctx to bring good luck for fresh drop season. No YouTube over here but have similar sites that show people finding fake finds just to look cool

What I find truly dismal is people like Bill Ladd who make fun of other YouTubers. I use to find Ladd amusing, but now I really despise his attitude towards others in the hobby; there's no need to hate on others taking their own spin on the hobby.

I like that the Hoover Boys show how much junk they dig from a hunt, not just the treasures. People who feel they plant their finds are truly not realizing where the Hoover Boys hunt; Delaware and Maryland were huge population hubs for the original 13 colonies, so Civil War and Colonial-era finds totally make sense.

Again, don't get discouraged just keep at it and get some farm permissions - farm fields are where it's at!

Back
Top Bottom