Excal Blue Peltor Mod - UPDATED

Ra1der5

Athletic Supporter
Forum Supporter
I'm planning on doing the Peltor mod on my Excal Blue 1000.

Hellnback has a YouTube on the Blues

And here's OBN's YouTube on the Yellows.

I plan to do a hybrid as Hellnback uses the grommets on the headphone wires. Also, I believe OBN uses the secondary shell to reduce ambient noise. The difference is the yellows have a clean flat back to epoxy the secondary shell to and it appears the blues have a layer of foam/silicone adhering the transducer to the plate. I would likely need to shape the secondary shell to lay flat on the plate in some areas and fit over the foam/silicone in others.

Has anyone done the Peltor mod on their blues? If so, did you do anything different?

Raider Regards,

R5

Last edited:
Haven't done it on blues, did my yellows and i had to trim down the black plastic plate with the piezo mounted on the back, no big issues and much improved audio. The big thing i noticed is that that now (with the trimmed plastic plate) the headphones seem to resonate on coins but not on tabs, i can actually tell the difference which i could never do with the stock yellows...
It made me really nervous to do this at first, but once you make the first cut the worst is over...
Keep us posted on how it goes for you!

Haven't done it on blues, did my yellows and i had to trim down the black plastic plate with the piezo mounted on the back, no big issues and much improved audio. The big thing i noticed is that that now (with the trimmed plastic plate) the headphones seem to resonate on coins but not on tabs, i can actually tell the difference which i could never do with the stock yellows...
It made me really nervous to do this at first, but once you make the first cut the worst is over...
Keep us posted on how it goes for you!

Thanks Z. Yes, I see OBN trim the transducer plate on the yellows. I've watched these vids so many times, I feel comfortable without having touched the headphones yet. I can almost provide the dialog with the sound off. :laughing: I'll post photos once I'm done.

Looks like you're getting some beach action there. Safe hunting to you!

R5

With no other suggestions, here we go...

I cut the Peltor secondary cups just like OBN did, taking just over 1/2" off the cup. I just threw away the other half.

Take the Blues apart just as Hellnback did... two cuts; one from each side. This doesn't cut the plastic under the grommet, but by twisting the two sides, it completes the cut and comes out.

Something you don't see in his vid, you will also have to clip the gray side to get the headphone wire out. No biggie, as usual, just dont clip the wire.

Pull the transducer plates away slowly and it won't tear the double sided tape. I slightly heated the gray plastic with a hair dryer to loosen the glue.

image.jpg

Last edited:
The silicone holding the transducer is easily modified with a razor blade to fit the secondary shell. It's also pliable allowing a tight fit. Note the transducer plate on top with the headphone wire has not been changed...yet.

image.jpg

Last edited:
And here it has been shaved a bit to accept the secondary shell.

image.jpg

And here it is with the secondary cup.

Note how I was able to run the speaker wire up the back and to the top of the earcup. The grommet moves up and down the wire, and there is plenty of wire to leave some in the red earcup channel and over the top of the fully extended Peltors. You DO need to notch the transducer plate just under the wire to allow it to go down into the channel and the back out of the earcup.

The hardest part for me was getting the speaker wire grommet to fit. The Peltor headphones have slightly thicker plastic and it was a bear to get in place.

image.jpg

See those ear pads? Rescued them from the Blues.

So ther you have it. Great sound. I'm looking forward to getting them out on the beach and seeing how much ambient noise is reduced.

Raider Regards,

R5

Last edited:
Who knew you had such mad skills David! :D

It's really an easy mod. As Hellnback says in his YouTube, it's a tight fit, but they do fit. No need to trim the transducer plate other than a small notch to allow the wire to go down into the red Peltor channel. I still haven't gotten them on the beach.

Where you been? :fright: Selling real estate?

image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom