Thoughts on the Rutus Alter 71

Alright more data.

A first solo flight (hunt) with Rutus detector.

Concentric coil (8.125") used only.

External speaker used,,no headphones,,wind conditions light and variable.

Went to what I call my detector proving grounds.

Only took the Rutus along,,kinda wish I had taken Impact and Deus along.
So no head to head done.

Overall I was very impressed with this short hunt.

I would have bet against anyone $500 they could hunt here and even pull at least 4 nonferrous finds-- guess I would have lost!!!

Folks those own Rutus and like to relic hunt,,DO NOT offload your detector!!!
Now currently I can't rate Rutus for coins but hopefully in the future.

Sounds like I am in the tank here with Rutus don't it??
Nope

But this detector is special in my book,,,if you believe White's V3i, Deus,,CTX, Etrac, Racers, Nokta Relic, Fisher F75s are good to great detectors.

I ran Rutus at max frequency 18.4 khz, sensitivity 81,,,,mask setting 4,, reactivity 3,, 0 discrimation,,set the 0-30 ID region to lowest tone and let the Rutus work and it did.

A few things I noticed.
And btw I did dig some targets,,that were dodgy in one way or the other for verification.

Flat iron,,,seems most of the time,,,will not wrap to the high side,,,rather report in the 30s range,,tone nuance/structure will reveal,,hodograph will too.

I did see some targets that wrapped to the 110s region,,pinpoint would show big target.

These 4 nonferrous targets dug,,,all produce very intelligent audio depicting nonferrous,,and some thing else,,a weak and small pinpoint.

Notice all the nonferrous have something in common-- very thin.

I can't say what the actual orientation was on all the targets,,but the bigger (I broke btw) was on edge at 6" deep.

Something else,,,only one of these finds,,did I exhume ferrous with,,the bigger find,,a small nail.

A gold coin like the $1 version should be sweating if a Rutus shows up and a person knows how to operate to find.

I was surprised at the depth of some of these finds,,,this ground here not mild,,4bars on F75 detector,,but this concentric coil for its size seems to have some punch even in smaller thin finds.

The square elongated find was at a measured 7" deep.

Now,,with my settings on Rutus it may be fair to say I didn't have it set up to to be deepest here.

Where I hunted today is right were I started metal detecting back in Dec 2010,, when a gent let me swing his White's XLT for around 15 minutes.

I have virtually lived in this site since trying to learn to detect,, using I think some good detectors.

Across the road is another area not too big,,,where I've spent a lot of time,,it is covered in tall hay right now.
In a couple weeks I will be busting with Rutus and hard.

I sure didn't hunt this entire site I was at today,,,I got hot,,plus I saw what I needed to see,,,,this site is too controlled and I know how hard I've hit.

Do I need more data to climb out on a limb here,,maybe,,,but I am about 3/4s the way out right now,,,one more hunt with similar results in a similar site Inwill climb out all the way on the limb.
Pic coming shortly.

Last edited:
That's a good result from a well covered site TNSS, the CC is seeing a few non ferrous the small DD can miss, the CC has to see it to hit it though, it won't see around say a nail an inch or two directly above a small target.
Your settings are close to what i use, only i run my tone break a bit lower as i'm after the little low conductor coins.
It will be interesting to see if can hang with the Impact on your deeper targets using the 11" coils, lots of folks saying the Impact is deep, im not sure the Rutus will ID as well at depth.

That's a good result from a well covered site TNSS, the CC is seeing a few non ferrous the small DD can miss, the CC has to see it to hit it though, it won't see around say a nail an inch or two directly above a small target.
Your settings are close to what i use, only i run my tone break a bit lower as i'm after the little low conductor coins.
It will be interesting to see if can hang with the Impact on your deeper targets using the 11" coils, lots of folks saying the Impact is deep, im not sure the Rutus will ID as well at depth.

These finds I would rate as likely no iron challenging the nonferrous,,,but Deus and 9" coil didn't get and other detectors. Next time I am going to do the following,,,see If I can verify target's orientation,,,and also try and start lowering frequency and see just how low I can go and get a what I think is a diggable signal,,,and keep lowering and see affects.

GB today was done adjacent to actual area,,,,can't GB in this particualr area,,too much iron and nails.

Will run 11dd coil inside too.

Might even try and find some targets with the concentric and change coils and see what the 11" does on them.

I am thinking right now,,,,thin items on edge= concentric coil' strengths with associated higher freq of 18.4khz,,only speculation.
Or the Rutus is able to differentiate these thin targets in my soil better maybe.

But something is going on.
Very possible some of these finds today have been swept as much as 200 times or more from various directions. Maybe even more than 200 times.
There is a good landmark here,,,so I know where I am when I go down there from hunt to hunt.

Maybe this is the why behind offering the concentric coil with Rutus,,who knows.

For the loot,,right now I'm having a ball with it.

Ghound,,how long how Rutus Alter 71 been released to public??

I think it came out end of last year, check Ziggys youtube channel, he tested an early one and rated it highly.

These finds I would rate as likely no iron challenging the nonferrous,,,but Deus and 9" coil didn't get and other detectors. Next time I am going to do the following,,,see If I can verify target's orientation,,,and also try and start lowering frequency and see just how low I can go and get a what I think is a diggable signal,,,and keep lowering and see affects.

GB today was done adjacent to actual area,,,,can't GB in this particualr area,,too much iron and nails.

Will run 11dd coil inside too.

Might even try and find some targets with the concentric and change coils and see what the 11" does on them.

I am thinking right now,,,,thin items on edge= concentric coil' strengths with associated higher freq of 18.4khz,,only speculation.
Or the Rutus is able to differentiate these thin targets in my soil better maybe.

But something is going on.
Very possible some of these finds today have been swept as much as 200 times or more from various directions. Maybe even more than 200 times.
There is a good landmark here,,,so I know where I am when I go down there from hunt to hunt.

Maybe this is the why behind offering the concentric coil with Rutus,,who knows.

For the loot,,right now I'm having a ball with it.

Ghound,,how long how Rutus Alter 71 been released to public??

I think it was announced in October and available in November.

Thanks again TNSS and ghound. You both show how much I have yet to learn!

Question for you TNSS. Why did you choose to run the detector at 18.4 kHz? I would have thought for deeper, non-ferrous, objects a lower frequency would be better.

I think it was announced in October and available in November.

Thanks again TNSS and ghound. You both show how much I have yet to learn!

Question for you TNSS. Why did you choose to run the detector at 18.4 kHz? I would have thought for deeper, non-ferrous, objects a lower frequency would be better.

Alright good question.

Well,,,based on the condition of this site (loads of nails and iron).
What detectors I had in their beforehand knowing what freqs they operate at.

Could I go back their with Rutus and run lower freq and make any finds??
Don't know one way or the other.

Now,,this site has seen not nears as much concentric coil action either.

I don't have much experience with concentric Coils at all.

Now,,I have been thinking more about this,,what I found with Rutus this morning.

For instance since there are big fields surrounding these smaller sites,,,could the fields have these smaller thinner things in them too.
I have hunted the fields too,,but not as much as were some old structures used to be using other detectors.

With time,,I think this area in whole along with some detector and coil comparisons,,might be able to nail down some things as far as which detector(s)/coil(s) like which targets.(as far as size, conductivity, shape and orientation in the ground.

I haven't ever found many coins here in this really old location,,maybe I can find a few more anyway.

Rutus is very quiet running emi wise. If not for the threshold in the background,,,be hard at times to know it is even turned on.

Went back to the same site as this morning.
Ran Rutus with concentric coil for around 45 minutes.
Then put 11dd coil on and ran about 1 hour 15 minutes.

Elzippo found,,notta nothing nonferrous.

I did get a good look though at the DD coil to see how it sounded tone wise while cruising over all the nails and iron.

I like how they have the meter designed,,it's function when you get on bigger iron. I ran with 0 disc once again,,,I think this helps too to ID the bigger iron when it tries to come through.

Had a thunderstorm off to my north,,,Rutus would sqeak every now and then. Could hear the thunder.

More later weather permitting.

https://youtu.be/rG6yxY0ffT8

Here's it on a few bits of gold jewelry, a fine chain 7" long, a small ring and a tiny speck of silver. I tried weighing the silver in grains on my scale but it was too small.

I had to put the targets on wooden sticks as the coil was picking up my bare hand, which ID's at 37 lol.

Running 2 tones, tone set to break at the nail in video, 18.4khz, max sens, 11"round coil.

It's a bit chatty, i think my camera phone was a bit close but you get the idea of whats going on.

It's a bit of a wolf in sheeps clothing, it hides it power well, really looking forward to Rutus bringing out a smaller DD sniper coil.

I did also try the F19 in all metal with the 12.5x8.5 coil, but i didn't show it as it wasn't a fair comparison.

That's very impressive. Is it pulling it out of the ground at those depths?

What does it air test on a US quarter? I get about 15" indoors with the Deus and 11" coil using my base program.

I am sweeping the Rutus for three months now.

It's a great detector allready found some great things. And more important left the !!!! in the ground. Thanks to the hodograph screen.

Only con I have its not dealing well with coilscrubbing on grass.

I put sens down at the 50 region and its better. Is there another/better way to reduce the chattering?

Mines not too bad in the long grass, i don't need to lower sens, but they do give a cleaner signal when not scrubbing the ground.

I am sweeping the Rutus for three months now.

It's a great detector allready found some great things. And more important left the !!!! in the ground. Thanks to the hodograph screen.

Only con I have its not dealing well with coilscrubbing on grass.

I put sens down at the 50 region and its better. Is there another/better way to reduce the chattering?

I'm not a jewelry hunter, i have found 2 junk rings with the Rutus, one right on the surface and the other at probe depth.
I'm heading to the beach with it this summer so thought i'd test it out on a few bits first.
On a quarter i'd say it similar to the Deus in air, it this video the 2nd silver coin is basicly the same size as a quarter.https://youtu.be/IT25ENXGO9A
That's very impressive. Is it pulling it out of the ground at those depths?

What does it air test on a US quarter? I get about 15" indoors with the Deus and 11" coil using my base program.

Now,,this site has seen not nears as much concentric coil action either.

I don't have much experience with concentric Coils at all.

Do you remember if that was a concentric coil that Nokta built for Monte for the Impact testing ?Somewhere I read they said that they would put that coil into production at a later date.You need to partially overlap coil paths on the sweep when using a concentric coil or you will miss a lot of targets. because of depth,the cone narrows to the center of the coil. One thing to try when in area you can't find a clean area to ground balance, hold the coil straight up in the air away from power lines and pull the gb trigger without pumping the coil. It's probably not ideal but it will work to get you started until you find a spot to better ground balance....

Do you remember if that was a concentric coil that Nokta built for Monte for the Impact testing ?Somewhere I read they said that they would put that coil into production at a later date.You need to partially overlap coil paths on the sweep when using a concentric coil or you will miss a lot of targets. because of depth,the cone narrows to the center of the coil. One thing to try when in area you can't find a clean area to ground balance, hold the coil straight up in the air away from power lines and pull the gb trigger without pumping the coil. It's probably not ideal but it will work to get you started until you find a spot to better ground balance....

I don't think the concentric coil was made for Impact.
Was the FORS Gold + unit maybe.
And this coil works on the Nokta Relic detector I think.

The medium sized coil for Impact is advertised as a DD coil measuring something like 5x9.5" .

Now I've read a gent forum name Tall Tom I think,,,who stated Nokta made a coil (structure wise) like Impact's stock coil but was made electronically to match Racer series,,,and this coil was tested for durability it seems while being used on either a Racer 1 or Racer 2 detector.
Very good move here by Nokta.

It would be interesting to know if other manufacturers do this what Inhave said here.

Avid detectorist,,,engineer Mr Dankowski needs to test Rutus detector.
Why???

Since this detector can be dialed in freq wise from 4.4 to 18.4 khz,,it would be interesting to see....

How does one coil,,,does the coil's performance in depth and separation/unmasking ,,and depending on target's conductivity,,,does all this flow smoothly as freq is lowered and raised,,,basically where in fact is the unit disadvantaged???
Any key freq areas where what a single freq running at any one particular freq does the Rutus mirror or not??

I am not sure if there are a any electronics in the Rutus coils or not.
If Inhad to guess Inwould say no.
But I am making this guess based on when I change coils,,,my Rutus seems to be on the same freq when done.

Rutus needs to make a smaller DD coil and fast.
I said earlier a round,,,no,,now I think they need something like a 6x9" DD elliptical.

The Rutus runs quiet from emi standpoint.
I think most will agree being able to dial freq from 4.4khz to 18.4khZ in 200 hz increments,,this provides definitely a lot of room for emi mitigation should the need arise.

My brother was swinging my AT Pro with the stock coil this weekend and encountered EMI in one section of the park we were hunting right under some power lines. I ran the Rutus up and down the frequency scale and could only detect slight extra noise below about 6 kHz.

I'm hoping it is as EMI resistant as it appears to be.

I can't wait to get back out this weekend. Weather looks perfect and my mother in law will be visiting. What are better reasons for getting out?

Avid detectorist,,,engineer Mr Dankowski needs to test Rutus detector.
Why???

Since this detector can be dialed in freq wise from 4.4 to 18.4 khz,,it would be interesting to see....

How does one coil,,,does the coil's performance in depth and separation/unmasking ,,and depending on target's conductivity,,,does all this flow smoothly as freq is lowered and raised,,,basically where in fact is the unit disadvantaged???
Any key freq areas where what a single freq running at any one particular freq does the Rutus mirror or not??

I am not sure if there are a any electronics in the Rutus coils or not.
If Inhad to guess Inwould say no.
But I am making this guess based on when I change coils,,,my Rutus seems to be on the same freq when done.

Rutus needs to make a smaller DD coil and fast.
I said earlier a round,,,no,,now I think they need something like a 6x9" DD elliptical.

The Rutus runs quiet from emi standpoint.
I think most will agree being able to dial freq from 4.4khz to 18.4khZ in 200 hz increments,,this provides definitely a lot of room for emi mitigation should the need arise.

I've heard from others that they're preparing other coils, but haven't heard anything from Rutus themselves. They also have the wireless receiver available on their Polish site and but haven't seen it on their English version yet.

There's defo more coils coming, got a message a few weeks back from Rutus, said the wireless module would be released first with new coils to follow.
But don't forget, this machine is designed and sold mainly for the European market and i've seen users asking for a larger coil, so they might serve that up first.

The wireless module is now on the Rutus English site. I have to wait for Detectnicks to have it on Ebay before I can get one.

Back
Top Bottom