Extention cord help.

ghost95

Hi all you DIY'ers. I have a problem I'm trying to solve. My GF has a shoulder injury that limits her detecting time. Even though she is using a light machine it still gets to her. I was wondering if there was any way to make an extension cord for a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 so I could make it a hip mount system. The cord that is attached to the coil is not quite long enough to allow freedom of movment. I tried to contact Bounty Hunter but got no responce yet. Any Ideas? Thanks

About your cord extension plans..

I've done this thing before with no problems. The hardest part is finding the five wire cord. But I used a cord from a beat up coil I had in my spare parts.
This is what I did.
You'll need the basic's or a soldering gun w/solder. And some shrink wrap tubes, small ones to cover the small resoldered wires, 5 about a inch long and two larger shrink wrap tubes large enough to cover the spliced areas, I made them around 5 inches long each.
Clip where ever you want to put the extension but I made it a foot from the coil. Put on one of the larger wraps over the cable and push it down the cable and away from where your splicing. Expose the five wires inside, clean off the coatings and leave enough to solder to the other cable your using for the extension. I made them 2 inches with about 1/4 to 3/8 an inch for soldering. Before you solder put the small shrink tubes over the five small wires and push that away from the soldering area and any heat. Solder the wires together one at a time and push the wrap over each and shrink as you go. If you want to retain any shielding, you can split it a carefully fold it back and rewrap it on the cable.Then I used cut pieces of electrical tape and wraped the repaired area until it was almost the same diameter as the cable.
After that I pushed the large shrink wrap over the spliced area and shrunk it so it fit nice and tight. The process is the same for the other side of the splice. Rememebr to leave enough wire to work with on both sides.
Then you can remove the control box from the pole. I used a larger clip from a large tape measure but I JB Welded it to the back close to the orginial mounting holes from the pole but not over them. This way I could got back to stock set up with a different coil or wrap the excess from the extended one.
Actually, I've done this one three machines and I will do it again. I even made it waterproof so I could float the box and not fear any leaking at the splice. You can do this by also adding a clear flexible plastic tube as close to the diameter of the cable but large enough to go over the large shrinkwrap tube. Then I used quality sylicone I squeezed into the tube, I used black automotive. This way you can see the sycicone enter the clear tube and make sure it's completely covered. It's messy but you can wipe off the excess before it dries. For added protection you can use small hose clamps on each end. I used quatily nylon pull ties and they worked perfect.
If you don't have a cable with the same color wires just make sure that whatever the color is one one side is the same as the other.
I hope this helps you hipmount the 505 and gets her back out and enjoying the hobby. Happy Trails, Hunting, and Have a great 4th,
Woodstock

I forgot to add something...

If she has a bad sholder (like I have) she might like a Tesoro Umax or other Tesoro like a Golden or a Deleon. There light, dependable, deep, ez to use and have a lifetime warranty. Just a thought! HH, Woodstock

Thanks for the info. What a realy wanted to do was get a cord with 2 plugs. 1 male and 1 female so I could just pop it in when I needed to change it for her. I don't know where to get the plugs, wire, or how to wire the plug so it matches the factory wire. I was hoping that Bounty Hunter would get back to me but no luck yet. Does anyone have a contact for the tech department at Bounty Hunter? Thanks

Maybe this guy can help you...

Do you know Keith Southern? ( I think that's his name) I believe he mods and repairs detectors at East Texas Detectors he just might have the cord your talking about or the parts you need. If anyone can help I think he could. Does anyone out there know if you can use another brand? I think as long as the plugs fit there shouldn't be a problem. Cause it's just a extension for the cord if the plugs go in the same it should work, but I'm not sure. Is it a push in or screw on connector to you control box?
I don't think you'll have any luck finding anything made by Bounty Hunter. They don't make hip mounts or conversions that I know of. But maybe a older Fisher model from the 1200 series would work again depending on the plugs.
Hopefully, someone else out there knows Keith and can lead you to him. And maybe someone can find out is there anything out there you can use.
Sorry I couldn't be more help. Happy Trails, Woodstock

bulgins Connectors WP

use them to change out the coils n headsets on the excals..waterproof to 30 feet...if you want I can post part number and vendor...joe

Attachments

• SNAG-0001.jpg
    SNAG-0001.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 266
Back
Top Bottom