Grenade and Mortar before and after cleaning

Kolby72

Forum Supporter
Here are some before and after pictures of some of my favorite finds.

Attachments

• grenade.jpg
    grenade.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,473
  • Mortar.jpg
    Mortar.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,396
  • untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,320
  • DSC_0900.jpg
    DSC_0900.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,298
  • DSC_0901.jpg
    DSC_0901.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,747
  • DSC_0905.jpg
    DSC_0905.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 1,568
Last edited:
how much can you share on how to tell if they are safe to handle??? and what to do if we find our own unexploded ordinance in the field,,,,:research:

That hand grenade is French 'Citron Foug'..from 1915 or 1916, depending of source.
Mortar round tail section is apparently American, from 81mm M56 HE or M57 Chemical round.

Voriax

You are right the hand Grenade is French I found it near Verdun France, the acid fuse was still in the Grenade but there was no powder inside looks like someone got to it before I did but didnt want to to keep it since it was just a shell. The mortar however is a German M34 Mortar tail (note the stamp on the bottom of the mortar) it was a heavy mortar mortar shell 8cm in Diameter and approximately 13 inches tall. I have more stuff that I will post soon.

Interesting finds but I'm not too sure that sandblasting is the best and proper way to clean artifacts.

Depends on who you ask, I am sure that they arent worth much since I used a media blaster on them but I never plan to sell them so it all works out.

how much can you share on how to tell if they are safe to handle??? and what to do if we find our own unexploded ordinance in the field,,,,:research:
To tell you the truth I have found a ton of ordinance but the best thing to do is leave it alone and let the local police handle it. If you want to know more you can PM me I dont want to ruffle anyones feathers.:grin:

Cool finds great pix too. I read some where about live ordinance buried in the world its a huge # maybe some here can answer that...can't wit to see what else you got...

Yeah there is a ton of the stuff around my house, it would be nice to turn over the dirt and find a coin from time to time instead of bullets lol

Finding a grenade would have scared me to death! But it is very cool to see the before/after pics... and that you weren't blown to smithereens!

emdees

Hey Kolby

Found this a couple weeks ago, guessing part of a mortar. You want it? I'm not real big into the WWII memorabillia, give me the coins..lol I also have a box full of shells and such that I have found, I know that you collect these things? And what is this, if you know.

Just got out of the hospital with appendicitus, so not much detecting right now. The wife threatened to hide the detector, I told her I would be good till Friday then all bets are off. Then I got the pinpointer out to make sure the doctors didn't leave anything extra in me :)
Drew

Attachments

• mortar 014.jpg
    mortar 014.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 944
Those are some nice pieces. I've recently been watching Band of Brothers and have a bit of renewed interest in the World Wars. Previously I've centered my reading and studies on colonial America.

Hey Drewski that looks like a practice round I have never seen one with red paint on the tail. TR Mook Band of Brothers is one of my favoritw war movies of all time. I live about 45 min from Bastogne, the world wars have always interested me.

Back
Top Bottom