Finger Bones/Ring Discovery

Westernlegend1

Moved On
Finger Bones/ Ring Discovery
There were a couple of posts about finding bodies or fingers inside rings in the past. Well going thru my box of clippings I actually found a clipping that shows some finds from Custer’s Battlefield in Montana. I guess they will never know the name of the wearer of the wedding band. Thought this might be of interest due to actual pictures are included.

Attachments

• Finger bones a.jpg
    Finger bones a.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 3,117
  • Finger bones.jpg
    Finger bones.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 4,297
This hunt was conducted by metal detecting folks back in 1984 to help learn more about the battle of the Little Big Horn. The ring with finger bone was actually dug by a woman detectorist. According to post-battlefield reports by the Sioux Indians, after the majority of the soldiers were killed, squaws from the main camp hunted down the mortally wounded troopers and extracted a heavy price upon them, this involved a long slow dismemberment!

I think they may have made a PBS show about this - I remember they used the finds to reconstruct the battle, based on the location of various artifacts. Thanks for posting.

Wow...kinda macabre... but no doubt about it happening. I would hate to find a whole cache of them... yik, serial killer collection. RickO

They made and worn whole necklaces of them. Called Cheyenne Finger Necklaces.

Attachments

• necklaceSM.jpg
    necklaceSM.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 3,094
finger bones

if you look closely at the atricle,you will see that the excavations where under the management of Rich Brown co-director of the excavations and a Ph.D candidate in archaeology at the University in Alberta,Canada.With the help from volunteers,metal detectorist where under the supervision of an archaeologist,metal detectorist just can't show up and think they are going to start digging,it more than likely it took Mr. Brown a year on more to get permission to do these excavations,the Custer battle fields are a national park,you will need a permit to do most any thing in a national park,as far the finger bone it could have been disturbed by rodents,rodents will move a lot of artifacts around,but it could have been removed by the squaws,if it was removed by squaws it would have not been found on the site,this we will never know only conjecture Thanks! for the post westernlegend,,,Dave Hall,Alton,IL.

Back
Top Bottom