Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Coinshooters and Relic Hunters

Old 09-13-2021, 02:08 AM

Default Silver 1915 Cuban 20 Centavos, Barber Dime, Indian and Wheats

Got out for a few hours this afternoon with one of my hunting partners to get some permissions. The second permission was a true winner. I started out immediately finding a Cuban 20 Centavo coin, thought it was a quarter at first, then perhaps a Mexican coin. Wasn't until I got it home and took a good look at it that I realized it was a Cuban coin. These coins were actually made at the Philadelphia mint for the Cuban government. It also appears that this a a "fine reeded variety" which may mean it has more than melt value.

In the same yard, I proceeded to find another 5 or 6 wheat pennies as well as a 1903 Indian. Several of the wheats were old, including a 1910S, 1912S, 1917S, 1918S and a 1920S. Amazingly, I only dug one Memorial in the whole part of the yard that I searched. Since the hunting was so good in the yard, and with the age of the coins I had found, I was thinking there must be a Barber hiding somewhere. I was not to be disappointed as while searching the curb strip in front of the house I recovered a 1907D Barber Dime.

We went on to hunt 2 other permissions, and added a few wheats to our pouches, but no more silver. The best part was we met some really nice people and were able to just talk to them about the hobby. They all showed genuine interest in what we were doing and were really pleased to see the items we recovered from their yards.

Thanks for looking. GL&HH
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2021, 07:23 AM
Supporter

Great hunt, meeting some nice people does make the day better. I really like the Cuban coin. Congrats.

Old 09-13-2021, 08:42 AM
Elite Member

Congrats on the shiny, Ihp and wheats. The Cuban coin is cool, first one I've seen posted. Good luck, Mark

Old 09-13-2021, 10:32 AM
Supporter

Very nice Gale! Heck, you don't need to come to Montana to pull the good coins! Nice CUBAN shiny and Barber!

Old 09-13-2021, 10:58 AM
Elite Member

Luv the design work on that 1915 Cuban Silver. I don't ever recall finding a coin like that !

Old 09-13-2021, 11:34 AM
Elite Member

I got a 1920 I think cuban coin from the coin star. Looks the same as the 1915. I sold it a year ago.

Old 09-13-2021, 11:40 AM

Love the design on that Cuban coin. I definitely love finding foreign coins, and even better if they're silver.

Old 09-13-2021, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by MuddyMo View post
Great hunt, meeting some nice people does make the day better. I really like the Cuban coin. Congrats.
Thanks Mo. It really is amazing how friendly and trusting people can be, even when you're asking to dig holes in their lawn. Helps to re-center your opinion of things when times get edgy.

Originally Posted by markinswpa View post
Congrats on the shiny, Ihp and wheats. The Cuban coin is cool, first one I've seen posted. Good luck, Mark
Thank you Mark. The Cuban coin is really neat and ranks right up there with the silver Australian Florin I found earlier this year.

Originally Posted by LovestheShiny! View post
Very nice Gale! Heck, you don't need to come to Montana to pull the good coins! Nice CUBAN shiny and Barber!
Nice to hear from you David. This last trip was with Ron, and the previous one with the wheats, merc and Indians that I posted was with Paul. I was really happy with the Barber this time too. Not a common find for me. We just got on to some spots that hadn't been hunted yet. I think that's the secret of your hunts in Missoula - no previous visitors.

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
Luv the design work on that 1915 Cuban Silver. I don't ever recall finding a coin like that !
Thanks Tom. It was even more interesting to find that there were some different varieties, and this one seems to be a bit rarer. Not sure how much of a market there is for Cuban coins though.

Originally Posted by metaladdict View post
I got a 1920 I think cuban coin from the coin star. Looks the same as the 1915. I sold it a year ago.
Thanks. A Cuban coin like this would have been a big shock if found in a Coinstar. Great find.

Originally Posted by jgb_detecting View post
Love the design on that Cuban coin. I definitely love finding foreign coins, and even better if they're silver.
Thank you jgb. At first glance I thought it was just a silver quarter. Then the star design had me thinking that it was some kind of Texas commemorative. Looked a little harder and saw the Spanish text and thought Mexican. Shocked when I finally figured out it was Cuban.

Old 09-13-2021, 07:19 PM
Supporter

Gale, the Cuban coin is actually very very nice! Love the design, congrats on the Barber (as you said, not the most frequent coin you find). Great variety across the board, congrats again.

Old 09-13-2021, 10:20 PM
Supporter

Congrats. I noticed for awhile it was all s mint wheats for me as well. With us being close makes sense just was surprised. That Cuban coin is sweet. Never found any foreign outside the typical Canadian ones. Wish people in our area were more receptive to letting us on there yards had little luck with that. All most all my silver has been curbstrips besides that seeded hunt. Starting to run out of curbs so next year may be very sad if no permissions are secured. Congrats on getting those yards and a great hunt.

Anaconda NX6 Gravedigger sidekick 2021 Clad@159.13 Silvers@46 Gold@0 .925@5

Old 09-14-2021, 12:01 AM
Elite Member

Smile

Congrats on the old silver, IHP, & wheaties!

Matthew 6:19-21 ~ 2021: 61 Clad coins ($2.98) ~ 2 Wheats ~ 2 Silver Coins
Totals: 770 Clad Coins ($48.79) ~ Wheats: 5 ~ Silver Coins: 2

2 Tokens ~ 5 Foreign ~ Oldest Coin: 1945 Wheatie
Garrett Treasure Ace 300 ~ Harbor Freight 9 Function ~ BH Jr ~ GP-Pointer

Old 09-14-2021, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Buellride View post
Gale, the Cuban coin is actually very very nice! Love the design, congrats on the Barber (as you said, not the most frequent coin you find). Great variety across the board, congrats again.
Thanks Paul. The permissions have paid off the last couple of trips. Hopefully we'll get back out together before the rains really start falling.

Originally Posted by DiggingThePNW View post
Congrats. I noticed for awhile it was all s mint wheats for me as well. With us being close makes sense just was surprised. That Cuban coin is sweet. Never found any foreign outside the typical Canadian ones. Wish people in our area were more receptive to letting us on there yards had little luck with that. All most all my silver has been curbstrips besides that seeded hunt. Starting to run out of curbs so next year may be very sad if no permissions are secured. Congrats on getting those yards and a great hunt.
Thanks for the comment. Sorry to hear about the difficulty in getting the permissions. I know for you it's particularly hard because of the geographic location. Not a huge population density in that part of the state and many of the towns just aren't that old. You just have to keep at it. The worst they can say is "No", but then you've really lost nothing, and if they say "Yes", you may have a great day. That first moment of contact is the one that counts most.

Originally Posted by Wolf-Dog View post
Congrats on the old silver, IHP, & wheaties!
Thanks Wolf.

Old 09-14-2021, 03:49 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by RainorShine View post
Thanks Paul. The permissions have paid off the last couple of trips. Hopefully we'll get back out together before the rains really start falling.

Thanks for the comment. Sorry to hear about the difficulty in getting the permissions. I know for you it's particularly hard because of the geographic location. Not a huge population density in that part of the state and many of the towns just aren't that old. You just have to keep at it. The worst they can say is "No", but then you've really lost nothing, and if they say "Yes", you may have a great day. That first moment of contact is the one that counts most.

Thanks Wolf.

Agree 100%. Our state in general is not very old. Down by you though thatís where most of the original settlers to the area started. Up here not so much. I have also noticed when I have asked if there yard or home has political signs they are not too friendly. Everyone that has called cops or confronted my partner and myself negatively has had lots of signs not sure why they seem to go hand in hand. However while in Anacortes over the last month covering those curbstrips we were approached a lot and it was all positive except one individual. Most were curious about the hobby and a couple of them let us hit their yards. Have contemplated going down that way but figured it has been hit hard over the years since there is already little to cover.

Would love to find more people to detect with but only a couple guys up here it seems. Once again great finds and I enjoyed your post.

Anaconda NX6 Gravedigger sidekick 2021 Clad@159.13 Silvers@46 Gold@0 .925@5

Old 09-14-2021, 04:21 PM
Supporter

Excellent finds! I like that Cuban coin.

2019 Silvers FTY (46)
2018 Silvers FTY (24)
2017 Silvers FTY (4)

Old 09-14-2021, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by NCtoad View post
Excellent finds! I like that Cuban coin.
Thanks Toad. I really like the coin too. Makes you wonder how that thing got all the way from Cuba to Western Washington. I'm happy with the Barber and Indian too.

Old 09-14-2021, 07:48 PM
Supporter

The Cuban coin is awesome looking! The Barber and IHP as well. Very nice!

EQX800, Dos Compadres : 2021 (Total (4/13 to date)) - Clad: $30.12 ($1110.56), Silver coins: 8 (50), Wheats: 16 (159), Gold: 0 (27), Plat: 0 (1), .925 7 (95), Rings: 12 (246), Oldest Coins: 1919,20 wheats, 1921 Ten Centavos Filipinas; Chinese cash coin

Old 09-15-2021, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by GroundSweeper View post
The Cuban coin is awesome looking! The Barber and IHP as well. Very nice!
Thanks GS.