Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Beach and Water Hunting

Old 09-12-2021, 01:54 PM
A Knight of the Round Coil

Default Closed My Eyes and Faced the Sun…and the Sun Smiled Upon Me

I have had a really rough last 2 weeks dealing with 2 issues. I needed to get out for a hunt to help me clear my mind and emotions a bit. Last night, I checked the “Surfline” app for the following morning and it said “FLAT”. Even though low tide was just after 6am, with good conditions it would be fine. I was out of my house at 6am but when I got to the beach, I noticed a significant amount of wind blowing that wasn’t blowing at my house. I checked the app again and again indicated it was OK, but when I checked the “MSW” app, it indicated worse conditions. I got to the beach, and it wasn’t the calm I was expecting, but it was workable so I went in. There were very few targets. The following is going to sound sappy and cheesy but it’s true. At over an hour into the hunt, the sun was out above the ocean and making my face warm. I closed my eyes and faced it and kept swinging. Within 5 seconds I get a tone in all-metal. I take one scoop and it’s empty. I move the knob to discriminate and hear a mid-tone. Another scoop and I look in the basket and . I knew by its diminutive size, yet weighty feel that it was going to be the real deal. I only hunted for about 3.5 hours, as for the last half of the hunt, with the tide coming in, I began to feel that I was in an increasingly physically abusive relationship with the surf. One of the times I was slammed on the head by a large wave and I thought it had knocked off my very nice polarized Ray-Bans. I kept feeling all over my head for them, but they were gone and I got a little upset. It wasn’t until a few moments later that I realized I was still wearing them on my face.

At home, I check the ring which is completely unmarked. First the diamonds and they test real. Then I acid test it and it passes them all with flying colors, except the 22K test – so that baby is at least 18K. It’s a very little ring but it weighs in at a very nice 5.5 grs. The glasses I found I thought were going to be fake Ray-Bans, due to their lightness, are actually real but the lenses are in pretty bad condition despite the big abrasion on one of them that I may have caused. I will be having trigger finger surgery on my left hand on September 22nd so I may only have 1 or 2 hunts left for a while.
Attached Images

Last edited by FelixtheCat; 09-12-2021 at 04:09 PM.

Old 09-12-2021, 03:03 PM
Elite Member

Nice Goldie👍, what happened to your pinkie? A shark bite there?

Old 09-12-2021, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Nice Felix... you are worse than me leaving gold on that stone lol.... is that the finger the barracuda tried to remove?

Founding Member of RingKeepers

Banned Spammers: 1044

Old 09-12-2021, 03:42 PM
OldCherryPicker

Thats a nice 18k and sharp looking.

2021....Gold Rings..30....... Misc...3 ...... Silvers ...145

Old 09-12-2021, 03:56 PM
Supporter

Very nice and obvious higher karat gold ring. You don't wear a "floaties" strap for your glasses when water hunting ? Sorry about the loss of your little doggie companion. But more importantly , the recent loss of your Dad 😥. I may have to talk to you about the trigger finger as I'm concerned about that myself.

Old 09-12-2021, 04:05 PM
A Knight of the Round Coil

Originally Posted by metaladdict View post
Nice Goldie👍, what happened to your pinkie? A shark bite there?
Originally Posted by Cfmct View post
Nice Felix... you are worse than me leaving gold on that stone lol.... is that the finger the barracuda tried to remove?
It was a barracuda shark that looked like a miter saw. Happened when I was making a couple of wine cork boards. I was lucky I didn't take the finger off.

Old 09-12-2021, 04:42 PM
Elite Member

Good show.

Old 09-12-2021, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by FelixtheCat View post
It was a barracuda shark that looked like a miter saw. Happened when I was making a couple of wine cork boards. I was lucky I didn't take the finger off.
Good job on the finger... who put the stitches in your wife?

Founding Member of RingKeepers

Banned Spammers: 1044

Old 09-12-2021, 07:01 PM
Elite Member

Sweet little ring there boss!
Did you loose your dad and your pup? If that's true I am so sorry man, loosing people close to you is rough, and pets count as family too...

Old 09-12-2021, 10:48 PM
Supporter

Beautiful color and decent weight - congrats! Nothing wrong with sappy - those ethereal moments are a real thing.

Old 09-13-2021, 02:35 AM
Supporter

Congrats on the gold and good luck with the surgery.

Old 09-13-2021, 06:26 AM
Elite Member

Congratulations on the gold ring. Best of luck with your upcoming surgery.

Old 09-13-2021, 10:29 AM

fantastic compliments

Old 09-13-2021, 02:22 PM

Congrats on the very nice gold ring. Someday I'd like to find another piece of gold.
The trigger finger surgery should bring you a lot of relief. It's really not much of a surgery and shouldn't put you out of commission for long. I had mine done in May (actually watched the surgery) had very little discomfort and was back out in a couple/three weeks, but I'm mostly a dirt hunter. Big trick for you will be to keep it dry until the wound is healed enough so a bit of water won't affect it. Maybe a couple latex gloves with rubber bands around the wrist? Be sure to work the finger so you keep it stretched out so you don't end up with a permanent limitation in range of motion. Best part after all is done is no more grief with the finger!! Good luck.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-13-2021, 03:56 PM
Elite Member

vert sorry for your losses Felix. we have last one under hospice now. the little pets give comfort when its needed too.. they are hard...

congrats on the gold!

wife has to get release on elbow but also two tendons repaired. but hospitals closed all surgeries here except life threatening.

i think i got a trigger finger, it clicks and sticks. but putting it off as long as possible.

i hope things let up on you. time heals man... get out and enjoy life, they would want you too....

Old 09-15-2021, 09:17 PM

I will be having trigger finger surgery on my left hand on September 22nd so I may only have 1 or 2 hunts left for a while.[/QUOTE]

Hey Felix ! Now I know why my fingers make that clicky poppy sound sometimes in the morning when I straighten them out.....Trigger Finger !! Man, learn all sorts of stuff here. Thanks !

Old 09-15-2021, 10:10 PM
Elite Member

Nice looking piece and very good color,,,,congrats on the high K,,,,,,,I think all I did was get beat around tonight,,,feel like I bounced between two walls for a couple hours it was so rough and strong current,,,gl hh

Old 09-16-2021, 06:26 AM
Quality Control Expert

Love the buttery ones….. and that’s a beauty.

Dew Meeker

Old 09-16-2021, 07:44 AM

Thinking about the facing the sun business.....it makes sense. I always wonder if there is a bit of magic weaving it's way through our hobby. I haven't been able to tap into it much. I will start making a point of closing my eyes....following something other than my sense of sight. There will probably be injuries....but hopefully treasures as well ! "Man with metal detector falls in hole dug by beachgoers". That'll be the story.....but the last line will read, "reports indicate that he did indeed find a treasure.....when he came to".

Old 09-16-2021, 01:55 PM

The way you felt the sun and closed your eyes and kept swing can only mean one thing: the Force is strong in this one. You’re a cross between Luke Skywalker and David Caradine’s character in the Kung Fu series. Good hunting Grasshopper.