The Old "1916 Merc" Flip Game

Buellride

Forum Supporter
Some of you know me on the Forum from hunts together (CruiserKev, RainorShine, LovestheShiny, etc.) and also know about my new house that we finally finished building a few months ago AND moved in.

Why am I telling you this?

Well the usual Washington state town that I have hunted for the past 4+ years is now about 1 hour away from me but a *new* "Town" is just 15 minutes away now....so today, instead of burning a bunch of unleaded to get to my normal stomping grounds I headed to the closer town.

Glad I did.

Pulled up to a 1905 era house and its curbstrip, kitted up my gear, and planted my coil. My FIRST target, literally within 10 seconds of swinging my coil was a 12-42 at 6-7" (a REALLY good depth number for the areas I hunt). Dug down and out pops a Mercury dime (Awesomeness :D)...snuck a quick look at the date and saw 191X :yes:. Now I gotta take a closer look, gently wiping the 4th digit I see the '6'! :shock: SWEET!!

Flip it over but cannot make out a mintmark (too much dirt) so then I do something I hardly EVER do....I walk it over to my truck (mind you it is all of 10 feet away) and put in on the center console....I am NOT going to screw up a $500+ coin with dirt and gloves....POTENTIALLY.

Went over the my gear and pulled a clad quarter next, took a second to send a buddy a text about the 1916 Merc, then swung on my 3 target....ANOTHER Merc....same 191X situation....what the heck!:wow:

3 Targets, 2 Mercs....LOVE those odds. Gently wiped the 4th digit and it was a '7'.....darn...but great on the multi-silvers so far.

Unfortunately the rest of the hunt was very slow :( 3 Wheaties that were 1919S, 1930, 1939S. Got a couple of permissions but NADA at those yards.

Got home and finally got a chance to properly reveal the first Merc....the mintmark was kind of smashed giving me the "impression" it was a 'D' but, alas, you can clearly see the flourishes of an 'S' on the upper right and lower left of the mintmark.

So...I guess I LOST at the 1916 Merc Game:lol:

GL and HH All!

Oh, and those two bring me to 51 Silvers for the year and 201 Wheaties....Geez

Attachments

• 7_25_21 Mercs Front.jpg
    7_25_21 Mercs Front.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 660
  • 7_25_21 Mercs Back.jpg
    7_25_21 Mercs Back.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 672
Those are the finds that keep us all up at night, either smiling or sitting up in a cold sweat :lol::lol:

I always smile when I pull silver ;)

Nice finds Paul, a set of early Merc Dimes! A great way to start a hunt, hope you get back for more goodies!

Thanks David....trying to compete with Montana....:laughing:

Fun play by play :cool:

Thanks Tom, I know Mercs are nothing in CA...you would be posting about seated and which one is older out of the 10 you find per a hunt...:lol:

Great play by play , finds and photos ! Congratulations !

Thank you.

No losses there, nice mercs Paul. šŸ‘

I am $.05 short of your most recent find...super glad you are still scoring at our hidden beach:cool:

I hunted a house here in Leavenworth KS and dug a 1916 dime, man, you talk about a rush. Real similar story to yours. Congrats, wish it would have turned out better for ya.

It's all win win when out detectingšŸ‘šŸ‘!!

Very true...while my opportunities this year haven't been as frequent in terms # of hunts, it has been an absolute blast.

I hunted a house here in Leavenworth KS and dug a 1916 dime, man, you talk about a rush. Real similar story to yours. Congrats, wish it would have turned out better for ya.

I have been very lucky this year...I can't complain

Hard to tell mm on that 1916. Buddy dug one very similar, threw it on ePay and iirc it was bid to $25.

Yes, as hard as I tried to FORCE my eyeballs to "see" :shock: a 'D' in the squished mess of a MM :laughing: it is clearly a 'S'. No worries, it is something like my 10th 1916 Merc:roll:

Roger on Fleabay, I haven't (and won't for a long while) considered selling any of my finds on that platform. But I have tried to sell items on FMDF, alas you all know the true value of items, so can't get top dollar :lol:

Thanks for the comment AMC

Ah man that is so close.

I had something like that happen one year. I was out in February and found a 1916 but when I looked is was a clear S. A month later I found another clear 1916 and I could see a mint mark. Got home and it was a no mint mark. And then a month later another 1916 and I'm thinking third times a charm. Got home to find out it was worn so badly I couldn't tell if it had a mint mark or not.

Attachments

• 430-1916.jpg
    430-1916.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 219
  • 1916s.jpg
    1916s.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 228
  • VG-1916s.jpg
    VG-1916s.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
Great write up. And solid finds.

Thanks, you should see my latest hunt šŸ˜

Congrats on the nice pair of early year mercs, Paul! :hi5:

Thank you Wolf

Ah man that is so close.

I had something like that happen one year. I was out in February and found a 1916 but when I looked is was a clear S. A month later I found another clear 1916 and I could see a mint mark. Got home and it was a no mint mark. And then a month later another 1916 and I'm thinking third times a charm. Got home to find out it was worn so badly I couldn't tell if it had a minor mark or not.

Great pictures...too bad there wasn't a D

Back
Top Bottom