• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

My First Candy Token and Amazing Arrowhead

MTJosh

Elite Member
Fun exploring in forest above my property yesterday after work. First place was a bust detecting. Then hiked into old logging & elk camp area I detected years ago. First spotted huge pile of fresh bear scat. Made plenty of noise knowing bear nearby. Usual 1930's headstamps and camp trash. Then odd chirp high tone. Among the rusty tin washer looking item pops out. My first ever candy token. Good for 5 cents. This one 20/30's. Used in slot machines as winnings. Token are so much fun,

Then digging another headstamp, see a glint and think that is odd looking broken piece of glass. Pick it up and totally blown away. Amazing arrowhead. Only my second ever in Montana and by far my best. Arrowheads rare here as grass/trees cover them. This one under a loop has some rainbow sheen in the obsidian

On walk out find big 50-70 shell casing. Military used it 1866-1873 but this was hunter anytime after that. Valley below was settled by Europeans around 1860/70. Hunting and logging groups in these mountains anytime after that. This was route over the continental divide back then. CDT trail only a mile from where I was. Pretty area too.

Attachments

• 6-9 scenery.jpg
    6-9 scenery.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 445
  • finds 6-9.jpg
    finds 6-9.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 424
  • candy token.jpg
    candy token.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 441
  • candy tokenB.jpg
    candy tokenB.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 442
  • arrowhead.jpg
    arrowhead.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 437
You got some good finds there, I love the arrowhead. I’m hoping someday I come across one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow that's a nice token. As I first read I was wondering about bear then you mention the skat, and I'm thinking doubly no way I would hunt in the woods....lol congrats..be careful.

Outstanding finds! The first candy token I have ever seen.
The arrowhead is Blackfoot...they have a distinct shape/style.
Additionally, the Blackfoot would trade for different color stones.
It’s not uncommon to find a green, black, or even red tip.
I have 2 myself.
Congrats!

Thanks everyone. I was very happy with the finds.
Thankfully bear sign was only black bear. Do have grizzly around so always on the look out. Adds to the adventure. Though moose with baby more dangerous
Blackfoot makes sense. Valley below was mostly Nez Pierce. But Blackfoot range not that far away.
Looking forward to seeing what othe fun stuff I can find this summer. Was lucky with cool buttons and clips over the weekend. Will post later.

That type token, if I'm not mistaken, is called a "slot-machine token". The hole in the middle was because their was a bar/tong type thing, that moved the token along a track, in the candy machine, or slot machine, or whatever.

Back
Top Bottom