Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Stories and Pictures of Finds

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-10-2021, 07:31 PM
longbow62's Avatar
longbow62 longbow62 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Jonesboro, AR
Posts: 976
Default Hunted a Memphis park

So last week my buddy Jeff sends me this link: https://www.wmcactionnews5.com/2021/...uried-decades/

So we went today knowing there would probably be other people detecting. I told my buddy I'm just going for the ride because I doubt we find anything. When we got there it was probably around 8:30 and someone was already detecting. It was a young guy with an Etrac. He said he didn't find any silver.

My buddy Jeff got the first silver a Merc within the first 20 minutes. My first find was a Wheat then a little later got a deep clad quarter I just knew was going to be silver but wasn't. A little later a had a sweet deep dime single and dug a 1907 Barber dime which was a nice surprise. My next deep coin about 100ft. away was another 1907 Barber dime. I was starting to think wow we are going to kill it. I got another Wheat or two, but soon realized coin signals were actually pretty scarce. As the morning wore on more people started to show up with detectors. We met some nice people detecting. A couple of guys we talked to had found two three ringers and one found a Barber dime.

In all there was like 8-10 people detecting throughout the day. My buddy ran and got us something to eat around noon and I kept hunting but found nothing before he got back. We ate in truck then got back at it. Right off the bat I got a solid 25 shallow signal and was thinking Memorial, but when I popped it out it was a Merc. It must have been on edge or had something close to it pulling down the I.D.. As I said coin signals turned out to be pretty scarce. I bet I didn't dig more than 10-12 coins in 6 hours of looking. I was really lucky to get on the three silver dimes I dug.

We never saw the guy in the news report. I am surprised the guy did not keep it quite. I have no clue what all he found or silver totals might have been. I know I would have liked to have been the first person out there detecting. I wonder if Beephead ever got out there?
Attached Images
   

__________________
Years detecting: (4) Equinox 800 (2), Garrett Carrot, Grey Ghost headphones. Oldest coins: 1851 Seated Dime, 1863 IHP, 1867 2 Cent Piece. Total silver coins found: 109, 2021 silver coins: 15

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #2  
Old 04-10-2021, 07:41 PM
Tom_in_CA's Avatar
Tom_in_CA Tom_in_CA is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 14,607
Default

Great link. Thanx for sharing. Yup, when they rip turf off of a park, school lawn or golf course (any old-town tractor work scrapes) it can sometimes be real fun !
Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 04-10-2021, 07:57 PM
longbow62's Avatar
longbow62 longbow62 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Jonesboro, AR
Posts: 976
Default

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
Great link. Thanx for sharing. Yup, when they rip turf off of a park, school lawn or golf course (any old-town tractor work scrapes) it can sometimes be real fun !
Yes and it becomes a free for all! That's the most people I ever saw detecting at one time. I sure would like to know how many silvers the guy on the news found.

__________________
Years detecting: (4) Equinox 800 (2), Garrett Carrot, Grey Ghost headphones. Oldest coins: 1851 Seated Dime, 1863 IHP, 1867 2 Cent Piece. Total silver coins found: 109, 2021 silver coins: 15

Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 04-10-2021, 08:25 PM
Tom_in_CA's Avatar
Tom_in_CA Tom_in_CA is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 14,607
Default

Originally Posted by longbow62 View post
Yes and it becomes a free for all! ....
There was a park in San Francisco, that dated back to the 1880s, that had a large section of turf (about 1/4 of the park) to make way for artificial turf field installation. They took off the *perfect* 6 to 8" over large swaths of what had previously been junky blighted turf. And it was an md'ing orgy, as you can imagine.

We all kept our tallies, and did a final calculation: About 250 silver coins between 8 or so of us, over the course of a couple of weeks. It was crazy fun !
Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 04-10-2021, 08:48 PM
GKL's Avatar
GKL GKL is online now
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Winnsboro, South Carolina
Posts: 7,668
Talking

Wow, congrats on those finds !!!!!

Hey, I'd be thrilled with that selection of coins in one hunt and look at the hours it took as "free exercise"

That's the things we'd all like to see, turf tear ups, and also sidewalk or road tear ups, a detectorist's dream

__________________
Gary
Minelab Equinox 800, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, Lesche hand digger, Sampson 31" T-Handle Shovel, Cen-Tech Pinpointer
other (occasional) hobbies: astronomy, rockhounding, green screening
John 3:5__Acts 2:38__Acts 19:1-7
Navy Vet

Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 04-10-2021, 09:23 PM
GroundSweeper's Avatar
GroundSweeper GroundSweeper is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Placer Co., CA
Posts: 18,214
Default

Holy carp some nice dimes there Long. Congrats!

__________________
EQX800, Dos Compadres : 2021 (Total (4/13 to date)) - Clad: $16.95 ($1097.39), Silver coins: 7 (49), Wheats: 12 (155), Gold: 0 (27), Plat: 0 (1), .925 6 (94), Rings: 7 (242), Oldest Coins: 1920 wheat, 1921 Ten Centavos Filipinas; Chinese cash coin

Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 04-10-2021, 09:39 PM
longbow62's Avatar
longbow62 longbow62 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Jonesboro, AR
Posts: 976
Default

Originally Posted by GKL View post
Wow, congrats on those finds !!!!!

Hey, I'd be thrilled with that selection of coins in one hunt and look at the hours it took as "free exercise"

That's the things we'd all like to see, turf tear ups, and also sidewalk or road tear ups, a detectorist's dream
Originally Posted by GroundSweeper View post
Holy carp some nice dimes there Long. Congrats!
Thanks we were probably a little late to the party, but I did better than I originally thought I would.

__________________
Years detecting: (4) Equinox 800 (2), Garrett Carrot, Grey Ghost headphones. Oldest coins: 1851 Seated Dime, 1863 IHP, 1867 2 Cent Piece. Total silver coins found: 109, 2021 silver coins: 15

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #8  
Old 04-10-2021, 09:41 PM
metaladdict's Avatar
metaladdict metaladdict is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Santa Rosa,Ca
Posts: 14,353
Default

Sweet!

__________________
Detectors. Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250.. Equinox 800. Stavr scoop!
Life member of Ring keepers! John 14:6. Luke15:8-10
Oldest U.S. coin 1883 penny.

Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 04-10-2021, 09:42 PM
aeds151's Avatar
aeds151 aeds151 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 368
Default

Dang, I would be pissed about that news article haha


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 04-10-2021, 09:42 PM
hilltopdoc's Avatar
hilltopdoc hilltopdoc is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Jonesboro, Arkansas
Posts: 109
Default

we had a fun day! Longbow62, don't forget my first signal i dug was a 50 centavos with a jewelry bezel. it was huge and i thought the whole day was going to be filled with suprises. it turned off pretty much. the guy we spoke with, david, found a neat old Memphis bus transit token, good for one fare.

i hope others see this post and let us know what else they found. this will revert back to a golf course soon and be gone again for our lifetimes.
Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 04-10-2021, 09:51 PM
Almann's Avatar
Almann Almann is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Arizona
Posts: 286
Default

Cool story & nice dimes ! Congrats !

__________________
2021: 2 silver ; 11 Wheaties ; 14 Rings(4 silver/ 1 Gold)) ; 8 Tokens ; $45.75 Clad

Ace 400 / Equinox 800 / Garrett Pro Pointer AT / Predator Little Eagle

Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 04-10-2021, 10:01 PM
longbow62's Avatar
longbow62 longbow62 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Jonesboro, AR
Posts: 976
Default

Originally Posted by aeds151 View post
Dang, I would be pissed about that news article haha


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I actually think he must have called to have them do a report on it.

Originally Posted by hilltopdoc View post
we had a fun day! Longbow62, don't forget my first signal i dug was a 50 centavos with a jewelry bezel. it was huge and i thought the whole day was going to be filled with suprises. it turned off pretty much. the guy we spoke with, david, found a neat old Memphis bus transit token, good for one fare.

i hope others see this post and let us know what else they found. this will revert back to a golf course soon and be gone again for our lifetimes.
One of our many fun hunts together! Good times as always whether we kill it or we come home empty handed.

Originally Posted by Almann View post
Cool story & nice dimes ! Congrats !
Thank you!

__________________
Years detecting: (4) Equinox 800 (2), Garrett Carrot, Grey Ghost headphones. Oldest coins: 1851 Seated Dime, 1863 IHP, 1867 2 Cent Piece. Total silver coins found: 109, 2021 silver coins: 15

Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 04-10-2021, 10:25 PM
aeds151's Avatar
aeds151 aeds151 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 368
Default Hunted a Memphis park

Originally Posted by longbow62 View post
I actually think he must have called to have them do a report on it.



One of our many fun hunts together! Good times as always whether we kill it or we come home empty handed.



Thank you!

Ya maybe he wanted some hunting partners? He wouldnt do an interview if he didnt want the attention. If that was the case, pretty cool he gave people the opportunity. I cant even get outta the WWII era of coins for the life of me in over a year of hunting most weekends, so I would shake his hand for a barber anything.

Edit: Hell, I just realized I will be stopping in Memphis on my way to Nashville to meet up with an old friend to attend Wheeler Walker Jrs Super Spreader event all next weekend. Maybe I should bring the tector and have a real shot at a Barber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by aeds151; 04-11-2021 at 08:00 PM.
Reply With Quote


  #14  
Old 04-11-2021, 02:48 PM
kajunman's Avatar
kajunman kajunman is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: H TOWN TX
Posts: 876
Default

Wait, he found all that with an AT MAX ? No way. he he he

Good on you for finding the three silvers. Congrats, think I would hit it a few more times.

__________________
ACE 350 / F75 SE LTD / Makro Multi Kruzer / Nox 800 /1 F Pulse Pinpointer / 2 Garrett AT Pinpointer / Multiple coils for the 350, Multi Kruzer and F75.

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #15  
Old 04-11-2021, 03:42 PM
JimR_TN's Avatar
JimR_TN JimR_TN is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Middle TN
Posts: 540
Default

Very cool. The guy in the video is in our FB Metal Detecting Tennessee group and he has been doing well there. I would have loved a shot at that place. I grew up in Memphis and drove past that park many, many times.

__________________
Minelab Equinox 600 - Oldest coin: 1838 Seated Liberty half dime
Fisher F75 SE
Fisher F-Pulse

Reply With Quote


  #16  
Old 04-11-2021, 09:05 PM
longbow62's Avatar
longbow62 longbow62 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Jonesboro, AR
Posts: 976
Default

I could not figure the place out. I was hearing quite a bit of iron in places and seeing busted brick and what looked like slate shingles. There was some older looking glass here and there. I saw quite a bit of broken plates but it didn't look real old. I think there had been some structures there maybe at one time. I need to find an old map.

__________________
Years detecting: (4) Equinox 800 (2), Garrett Carrot, Grey Ghost headphones. Oldest coins: 1851 Seated Dime, 1863 IHP, 1867 2 Cent Piece. Total silver coins found: 109, 2021 silver coins: 15

Reply With Quote


  #17  
Old 04-12-2021, 09:12 AM
Huckleberry's Avatar
Huckleberry Huckleberry is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Missouri Ozarks
Posts: 855
Default

Good story and very nice dimes! Congrats!

__________________
Fisher F75+,Teknetics Liberator, Bounty Hunter Sharpshooter 2, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Highly Modified HF9FMD, F-Pulse pinpointer.

Now if I can just find a dutch oven full of gold coins!

Reply With Quote


  #18  
Old 04-12-2021, 11:43 AM
jordanmills jordanmills is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 262
Default

I think that guy uses the same shovel I do!
Reply With Quote


  #19  
Old 04-12-2021, 01:10 PM
goldendreams's Avatar
goldendreams goldendreams is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: New england
Posts: 195
Default

Originally Posted by longbow62 View post
So last week my buddy Jeff sends me this link: https://www.wmcactionnews5.com/2021/...uried-decades/

So we went today knowing there would probably be other people detecting. I told my buddy I'm just going for the ride because I doubt we find anything. When we got there it was probably around 8:30 and someone was already detecting. It was a young guy with an Etrac. He said he didn't find any silver.

My buddy Jeff got the first silver a Merc within the first 20 minutes. My first find was a Wheat then a little later got a deep clad quarter I just knew was going to be silver but wasn't. A little later a had a sweet deep dime single and dug a 1907 Barber dime which was a nice surprise. My next deep coin about 100ft. away was another 1907 Barber dime. I was starting to think wow we are going to kill it. I got another Wheat or two, but soon realized coin signals were actually pretty scarce. As the morning wore on more people started to show up with detectors. We met some nice people detecting. A couple of guys we talked to had found two three ringers and one found a Barber dime.

In all there was like 8-10 people detecting throughout the day. My buddy ran and got us something to eat around noon and I kept hunting but found nothing before he got back. We ate in truck then got back at it. Right off the bat I got a solid 25 shallow signal and was thinking Memorial, but when I popped it out it was a Merc. It must have been on edge or had something close to it pulling down the I.D.. As I said coin signals turned out to be pretty scarce. I bet I didn't dig more than 10-12 coins in 6 hours of looking. I was really lucky to get on the three silver dimes I dug.

We never saw the guy in the news report. I am surprised the guy did not keep it quite. I have no clue what all he found or silver totals might have been. I know I would have liked to have been the first person out there detecting. I wonder if Beephead ever got out there?
Just a decade ago , if this was to happen at that park you would probably be one of VERY FEW people if any to dig it.... I blame all this on youtube..
Getting decent places to dig has become increasingly hard to find...i think youtube is the main reason digging is becoming more and more fruitless... I cant see there being anywhere good to hunt in just a few more yrs (at most) besides door knocking... there was a time someone could walk 1 hour to a cellar hole and not see it has been cleaned out and holes EVERYWHERE ...I cant imagine people who start this hobby in 1 more decade are gonna find anything old consistently, and it saddens me ....im not a big clad hunter but theres no way around the fact that this hobby gets worse with time ...of course you can dig a silver rosie at any old park , but even that can take 100 hours now adays

When the good stuff is gone ...ITS GONE,!!
Unless your a dedicated beach hunter...even door knocking is getting thin as its not unusual to hear "sure you can dig my yard, but its been hunted 1000 times by 20 different people" ....uuuuugh​
Reply With Quote


  #20  
Old 04-12-2021, 01:50 PM
Tom_in_CA's Avatar
Tom_in_CA Tom_in_CA is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 14,607
Default

Originally Posted by goldendreams View post
Just a decade ago , if this was to happen at that park you would probably be one of VERY FEW people if any to dig it.......​
Where I'm at, very few, if any md'rs ever descend on an old-town demolition site. Either they are 1) Just un-aware of the potential for goodies at such sites, or 2) Weren't aware it was going on, or the biggest issue: 3) They're afraid of orange ribbon tape/cones and/or fences.

But for me , I've taken it to the "next level" : I've even subscribed to the Builders Exchange Network ($400-ish per year), to get daily email news alerts to every single public works bids going on , in the entire state. And scout the daily email for anything that hints of old-town sidewalk tearouts, park scrapes, etc....
Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.