Any bullet experts?

The Jersey Digger

Elite Member
Hey everyone, been awhile. Detecting here in AZ is so much different than back east. So hard to find places to detect that haven't been pounded to death. Back east I could door knock no problem. Here the ground is so dry you don't want to mess up anyone's lawn, if they even have one. Most abandoned lots have been pounded and most ghost towns too, though you really need to see who the property owner is. Then of course detecting in 100+ degree weather is no fun.

I traded in my Mustang GT and bought a brand new Jeep Wrangler Willy's. Now I can drive through the desert looking for signs of old trash. That is what I did here. Found an area with old rusted cans and detected. Found a couple modern bullets then I dug this one. It measures as a .44 caliber. Now to me it looks to be a Civil War era Colt pistol bullet. A buddy who is well versed in bullets told me this. Plus to me it looks like the right bullet. Any one here confirm this too or tell me it is wrong? Now while there were a few skirmishes here in AZ this was not found near one of them. But it was the wild west at one time and these bullets were definitely used. All input is appreciated!

Also any input on why my pics come out sideways is also appreciated..LOL

Attachments

• IMG_0353.jpg
    IMG_0353.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_0383.jpg
    IMG_0383.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_0396.jpg
    IMG_0396.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_0408.jpg
    IMG_0408.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 213
Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know about the bullet or the sideways pics, but that vehicle is perfect for your terrain. Lots of public land to explore down there. The nugget hunting would keep me busy...like forever.

It looks to be in the .44/.45 cal area and a cast, round nose bullet with a good lead patina. Is the base of the bullet flat? Is that a trace of a rifling groove? To me, its casting style suggests "Old West" era with a single cannelure/crimp ring. An example appears here: https://oldwestbulletmoulds.com/

Many modern cast bullets are "lubed", some are swaged and many bear lube rings to carry the lube.
It seems like many of the rifle cartridge bullets of that era had lots of rings/bands, possibly to minimize barrel "leading". Black powder was pretty dirty stuff.

I used to do Civil War re-enactments with my friends in college as well as shoot black powder revolver, cast lead bullets and I still reload, including for .45 Long Colt.

Don't know how much expertise this amounts to, but it is at least my experiences.

It looks to be in the .44/.45 cal area and a cast, round nose bullet with a good lead patina. Is the base of the bullet flat? Is that a trace of a rifling groove? To me, its casting style suggests "Old West" era with a single cannelure/crimp ring. An example appears here: https://oldwestbulletmoulds.com/

Many modern cast bullets are "lubed", some are swaged and many bear lube rings to carry the lube.
It seems like many of the rifle cartridge bullets of that era had lots of rings/bands, possibly to minimize barrel "leading". Black powder was pretty dirty stuff.

I used to do Civil War re-enactments with my friends in college as well as shoot black powder revolver, cast lead bullets and I still reload, including for .45 Long Colt.

Don't know how much expertise this amounts to, but it is at least my experiences.

It does have a flat base. I do not know on the rifling groove.

Try this article. It's a long read but covers a ton of varriations on the 44. Does not look like any modern 44 I have fired. https://www.ammoland.com/2017/06/44-caliber-ammo-ammunition/#axzz6eFpNkFw5

It is about 60/40 on people who do not think it is modern. I am sticking to it not being modern. A guy I know who knows much more than I says it is definitely 1860's.

Back
Top Bottom