UPDATED! Gigantic Large Silver coin, Oh & 20 Others

dumbdigger

Elite Member
I truly believe this should be in the EYE POPPING, MIND BLOWING SECTION.
Reason being is the EPIC hunt. Along with the coinage.

So here goes!

My hunting buddy Andrew, sent a few pictures of his goodies on Saturday.
Barber quarter, Barber dime and a FRICKEN FLYING EAGLE CENT!
I was like nice! Where did you guys hunt today? I had that feeling we all have when we think our buddy is out hunting feeling. You know what I am talking about. So he says Kyle had some work out there and started scoping out the older houses. Kyle comes up to a busy park and starts swinging in the grass with no luck. He picks up and walks around a little bit and then notices the lake is being drained. This was on Friday. Him and Andrew hunt like half the day on Saturday. So in the evening I get the invite! Hehe

We setup for very early Sunday morning to beat the frickin heat. It was the hottest day of the year so far. Heat index of 104 degrees! I got cooler packed with ice and drinks for the crew Saturday night! Take off time was 5:45am!

I said alright I am going to bed early, you guessed it. I couldnt fall asleep. Was looking at old maps of the site and was getting anxious. Finally bout 1 I fell asleep. Unfortunately, I kept waking up every hour. Finally 5 in the morning I stared at the clock knowing I wouldnt fall back asleep.
I take off not knowing what the day had in store!

We get there and decide to do the opposite side they did the day before.
Its about 15 minutes in and I yell DING DING Rosie on the surface!!! Moments later Barber quarter. Things quiet down a bit. then the surface changed a little bit. Went from very rocky, to little more sandy and more forgiving surface. I hit on a very large looking coin. It was so corroded up we didnt know what it was. Minutes later BAM an even bigger coin! I knew it was silver just by the way it looked! So we take a moment to shoot some water on it and was like !!! is that. Kept watering it down and saw the date SWEET! I put it in my pouch and Andrew hits on some thing big. Almost exactly the same looking thing I hit on earlier. Just as corroded too!

At this time were a few hours in and kyle wanted to head back to the car to rehydrate. Andrew and I stayed put. Couple wheats here and there. I think at this time he had a merc and another Barber Quarter. We are moving along and he says I think I found gold! Damn you! You sure did! 14K gold ring that rang up a 13...... We are thinking about heading back to the car and for some reason I just kept on saying a little further....

So a few months ago I hit on my first silver dollar! An 1884 Morgan!! This was at one of Andrews permissions. I thank all the time. At the same time thinking what a plateau in the hobby! What a high!

So just a little further..... I get the signal BAM PEACE dollar! Immediately grab it and turn around and say Andrew you are going to kick me in the junk! Haha he says now what you find? Holds his hand out and I give him the DONK! THUD! You can imagine his cursing as he has yet to join the club...
It was funny he said " I dont know if I want to hug you or kick you in the junk" After some funny humor we head back to the car.

Kyle met us back at the car and says find anything?? Well we can show you the 1793 huge silver next to a silver dollar. Kyle says oh did you bring the Morgan dollar with ya? Andrews like no. Kyle is like are you frickin serious?
Anyhow, he about !!!! his pants.

At this time it was like 1130 ish. We all rehydrated as we tried to figure out our next move. We decided to keep going on the same side of the lake.

What happens next is just unbelievable. We pick up right about where we stopped. Moving slowly Kyle hits a Merc. Andrew found his second gold. A small Mosaic pendant. We are chugging along a few wheats here an there.
Kyle was a good 20 feet ahead of us and sits on one of the larger rocks and lays a smart ass comment about how from here and further our luck was going to change and its going to be the best stuff ever.

Well he was right!!!!!

From where he sat on that rock, only about 50 feet past it, BOOOOOOMMMM!

Now this was on a dry lake bed. Almost everything was on the surface. The deepest was 2-3 inches. EVERY target hit on the pinpointers without digging.
I was a few feet ahead of them and just like that I hit on a Barber quarter. Andrew sped up and checked it out. Hes like dang where you find it at? I say heck yea sharing is caring! Foot away he hits a SLQ!!! I find a V nickel lying right on the ground. By this time Kyle wants in on the action. He jumps ahead and he is playing in one spot. Kyle says wait til you see what I just found. Oh yea? Frickin Barber half!!! He puts the pinpointer down and Barber quarter WHAT! puts it down again Barber dime! WHAT!! Then a wheat penny! Soon we swing the detector and find a target and just keep putting the pinpointer in the same spot and we were picking up "one dimes" one after the other. This was just crazy.

At this point for the first time I realized I was running on pure adrenalin for about 20 minutes. I just couldnt freaking believe this was happening. ALL these were basically sitting on the surface? This is crazy and will likely never happen again! It was nuts. We literally just find a coin tone and start waving our pinpointers in that little area and one dime over and over and over. I would say this whole area was about 20X50 feet. A hot spot was an understatement..... Soon things slow down and Kyle took off and me and Andrew were still picking up the scraps. We call it off and head to the cars.

In all the total take was 52 silver coins, 2 gold and a piece of sterling.
Me with 21 silvers 1 sterling
Andrew 21 silvers & 2 gold
Kyle 10 silvers.

Later on Andrew calls me. Says hey check out that REALLY corroded coin you found just like mine. He said he was trying to clean it and the WHOLE thing was like in a bezel. Sure enough chunks start to fall off mine to reveal what it was. Apparently these are Vatican Pope Metals. 1800's we think. Some are silver and bronze. Even earlier ones were made from GOLD! I think I have a bronze variety and he has a silver one.

Oh yeah, somewhere in all of this Andrew finds a 1914 5 LIRE coin that could be worth some serious money!

Well getting tired and the eyes cant stay open much longer. On with the pictures.

DSC_0298.jpg

DSC_0299.jpg

DSC_0300.jpg

DSC_0301.jpg

DSC_0302.jpg

DSC_0303.jpg

DSC_0304.jpg

DSC_0305.jpg

DSC_0306.jpg

DSC_0307.jpg

DSC_0308.JPG

DSC_0309.jpg

DSC_0310.JPG

DSC_0311.jpg

DSC_0312.JPG

DSC_0313.JPG

DSC_0318.JPG

DSC_0317.JPG

DSC_0314.JPG

Last edited:
Holy smokes, that is bigger than a silver dollar. What state did you find that in ?

If they were all in close proximity you have to have a scattered cache like Jeff said Jeremiah. That Sicilian coin wouldn’t have been there except in a collection or an immigrant stashed it, and probably others. You couldn’t spend it in the states so perhaps there are more of these around where you’re looking. If that’s a Peace dollar next to it....that is a GIANT coin!

epic place to say the least! Congrats. i have had only one such similar place.

the large Brass button with the torch is a collar tab for highschool Army Jrotc programs. i have one from Sidney Lanier highschool in Macon Georgia that was a military highschool for decades. that could be WW1 or 2.

quite an array of stuff. again nice finds.

dang! I thought I did well with 12 silvers in one day....you slayed it! congrats

Back
Top Bottom