A wheat bucket-lister & a Merc

pballwiz

Went out Sunday to an old school yard that a buddy of mine has hunted before with his Nox. He told me that all the older stuff was deep 8" or more. He had cleaned out all of the shallower clad on previous hunts. Left my Nox in the car a pulled out my e-trac with the 13" Ultimate coil. The Nox is great detector but when I'm going after deep coin targets, it's the e-trac all day long! My first target was a deep wheatie and I continued to find 5 or 6 more before I hit the shiny. Everything was pretty much 7.5" to 8.5" down. Digging was a !!!!! because a big portion of the area had a layer of gravel about about 6" thick below the top layer of soil. About half the area had a layer of snow on it which made it a bit more difficult to get the coil down low enough to grab those deeper signals. Snow kept piling up on top of the coil which made it heavy and hard to swing. About an hour or so in th o it I went back over an area that my friend had just detected. He didn't leave much of anything for me until I came to a big branch on the ground that he detected around. I moved it and got a nice deep 12-45 signal on my e-trac. Popped out a nice merc while buddy just stood there shaking his head :)
Last night I was going through my finds and I noticed the date on one of the wheats was a 1909. Could it be a VDB ? Yes!! Couldnt believe it. This one has been evading me forever.
Also found a small 10K pin with an old truck on it.
All in all, a good hunt!
ee0cab5ec3890158045ce216e5824fcf.jpg
5ca5e89121bde18b615be0c3559bfd31.jpg
a331a77251ca913257045bc18e825801.jpg
7cb41f70f356e4b43b6db41f19e03a84.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Some super digging Tom. Love digging those deep coins and your right the E-trac is very good at it finding them. Congrats on the Merc and the Gold Pin. It is always neat to find a surprise like the 1909 V.D.B. Wheat Penny. Hope your weather allows you a few more outings. Trapper

Great job Tom! Now if only I could ever get an invite! Lol
Let me know if you want to give the CTX a swing!
Jer

Wiz, congrats on the Merc, looks to be in great shape, what year ? It looks to have full split bands. Also, attaboy on a hard to get wheat. That's pretty much the condition of most of the wheats I find. Again congrats. HH Mark

SCORE!! I've only dug one 1909 wheat penny, and did not find the VSB on the back. Congrats on that, the gold pin, and the Merc! The photo of the full-banded side of the nicely patinaed silver coin on the snow backdrop is a beauty!

That winged liberty head has some really nice detail on it, and the 1909 V.D.B. wheat cent is a great find! :clapping:

Back
Top Bottom