First hunt with Equinox 800

Foragist

Forum Supporter
Saw a deal; pulled the trigger & bought an Equinox 800. Got it yesterday.:D
Assembled, charged, headphones paired, features and controls studied. I had a last day of permission lined up for today, at an old house on Main St. I already worked the front & side yards with the White's Eagle Spectrum a couple days ago. Today, I found several modern coins, one or two more wheats, toys and junk...and a WWJD pin. This yard just seems to have been detected before, with very few deep/old coins. So, thinking WWJD, I went to where the people gather...the park across the street. Old park. Known to have been hammered hard in the past. This was about my 10th time detecting there, but the first time this park produced silver for me. Smooooth 1904 Barber dime! Thank you Minelab! The White's has been over this ring around the flagpole a few times, but didn't find this 7 inch deep slick silver dime. Also got a few wheats in the park. Those were a rare find before today.
I am pretty happy with this machine so far. It seems to be exactly what I was expecting, after a bunch of reading & watching vids. I'll need a better fit in the arm cuff, and more field time to get comfortable with using it.

Attachments

• DSCN7760.jpg
    DSCN7760.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 277
  • DSCN7762.jpg
    DSCN7762.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 255
  • DSCN7768.jpg
    DSCN7768.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 252
  • DSCN7765.jpg
    DSCN7765.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 234
Dude!!!!!....awesome finds & story!!!! I can't wait to buy an 800 one day.....congrats on the Barber!!!!

GL & HH
Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks peeps. 7 quarters; 7 nickels; 17 dimes(one silver); 53 pennies(one Canadian and six wheats) Yeah, that's not bad.
I was avoiding pulltabs and can slaw. Can you tell? Dug a few to see what they were. I'll start digging those when I'm ready.

Congrats on your finds with the Nox 800. I will finally get out tomorrow. I am so far behind on my yard work because of all the rain we've had here in the last two weeks. I stayed home and worked on that problem for the last several days. Yes, I will hunt tomorrow.

Congrats on your finds with the Nox 800. I will finally get out tomorrow. I am so far behind on my yard work because of all the rain we've had here in the last two weeks. I stayed home and worked on that problem for the last several days. Yes, I will hunt tomorrow.
Thanks man. Good luck. Hope it isn't too muddy for ya, and you post a good report.
Congrats on the nice assortment of finds! Try a 6" coil on that machine and see what happens then.
I'd love to try that! I've heard good things, and have a few places in mind for it.
Awesome assortment.. Not every day you find a pair of Thumb Cuffs :laughing:
oh and the barber speaks for itself !!
Congrats Foragist
Dude, you always make me laugh. The cuffs were an entertaining find. :lol:

Well, the learning curve was of no problem to you it appears! Thats really outstanding for a first run of a new rig of any sort...Congratulations F'gist!!

Well, the learning curve was of no problem to you it appears! Thats really outstanding for a first run of a new rig of any sort...Congratulations F'gist!!
Thanks Muddy. Two things helped: First, research! This forum, YouTube, etc. helped me get to know what they are like and how to use them. Second; Practice! After reading your posts a few months back, about hunting with tone ID, and learning about the Nox tones, I rediscovered the Tone ID function on my old machine. I remember hating that function years ago, but forced myself to get used to it over the last couple months or so. By the time I got the EQ, I was ready for it. Still have much to learn though...

Congrats on the Barber and on the new machine!
Thanks Ron. Happy camper here :D

Thanks Muddy. Two things helped: First, research! This forum, YouTube, etc. helped me get to know what they are like and how to use them. Second; Practice! After reading your posts a few months back, about hunting with tone ID, and learning about the Nox tones, I rediscovered the Tone ID function on my old machine. I remember hating that function years ago, but forced myself to get used to it over the last couple months or so. By the time I got the EQ, I was ready for it. Still have much to learn though...:D

Well, I'm going to pick up my NOX 800 today....I sure hope I can figure out how to set it up so it behaves like all the youtube vids and run that rig in as many tones as possible...I doubt I'll perform as well as you did on your first hunt though!

Well, I'm going to pick up my NOX 800 today....I sure hope I can figure out how to set it up so it behaves like all the youtube vids and run that rig in as many tones as possible...I doubt I'll perform as well as you did on your first hunt though!

With some proper coin notching, I think your going to really like this machine on your famous megaclad hunts...or nickel quests. I'm looking forward to a fun day of cherry picking Q's and D's somewhere. For now, though, it's all about learning what to dig; what to not dig.

Back
Top Bottom