Today DID NOT disappoint!!

Oldsjunkie

Forum Supporter
Was supposed to go to my buddy's 1890s house around 1:00 today, but he had some family things to take care of. Off I go looking for a yard to victimize...temp is 50, sun is shining, NOBODY is outside. WTH? Drive by the old school my grandparents, parents, and myself and brothers went to. Hunted around a little there before, but they've moved the dirt all over the place since it opened in 1903. I stayed away from the only part that looked original mostly because the EMI is ridiculous and it used to send the ATP into spasms. I was able to tune the MXT to run at least usable, albeit not real deep.

2 really nice signals right off, which ended up being heavy copper rivets. Someone salt it? Ugh... Third sound worth digging was banging on my eardrums. Apparently my hair was shaggy, cause I got the Barber!! :D
1903 with the "O" mint mark! OOO yeah!

Popped a 52D nice and green wheatie shortly after. My buddy called and said he was gonna be home in a bit if I wanted to come by. Loaded up and headed out with a nice grin. :grin:

Broke out the MXT and Compadre and we got to swinging. This yard has been our honey hole since day one. We've had an AT Pro, BH 505, Whites M6, MX Sport, and now the MXT and Compadre on this 4th round.

Lots and lots of iron in this yard. Super sandy black dirt that falls through your fingers...Hitting some signals, pulled a copper memorial, sprint car, and shiny Bazinga. There are tons of aluminum siding cut offs that sound oh-so-sweet so we haven't hit up tight to the house hard really, even though we've pulled a '17S Walker, AU '07 Barber, child's silver ring, 6 or so IHPs, 2 V nicks...Flying Eagle washer...man the stuff in this yard!

I'm right on the side porch step and I get this super loud high toned racket right on top. I was digging about everything today, so in I went. Thought it was a piece of aluminum because of the size and reached to throw it in my bag when it poked me in the finger? Holy hell it's shiny!

I was losing my mind too much after I wiped it a little to take any pictures of it in or around the hole! :dingding:

Looks like this is a "V for Victory" Pin!

This thing is clearly hand made by an amateur, for themselves most likely. Says "CHINA BURMA INDIA 1944" Which is for the CBI theater of WWII, represented by the shield at the top. I assume the wings and snakes represent an Air Force Medical division.

I'm still over the moon here folks. If someone had made this for a loved one or whatever they would normally initial it. I figure one of our great WWII veterans carved this after returning home, wore it proudly and snagged it on the bush by the stairs, bending the soft silver pin and pulling it off. You can see it's still bent back. Looks like it had some yellow glass glued to the wings.

There's a reason we say this is the best hobby in the world. My hairs are still standing on end 4 hours later!:excited::excited: Oh yeah, couple bucks in clad.

Attachments

• barber hole.jpg
    barber hole.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 645
  • barber dirty.jpg
    barber dirty.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 587
  • Pin MXT.jpg
    Pin MXT.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 595
  • pin back.jpg
    pin back.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 610
  • pin date.jpg
    pin date.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 614
  • pin shield.jpg
    pin shield.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 582
  • group dirty.jpg
    group dirty.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 594
  • clean keepers.jpg
    clean keepers.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 590
  • clad and rivets.jpg
    clad and rivets.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 649
  • barber obverse.jpg
    barber obverse.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 600
  • barber reverse.jpg
    barber reverse.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 605
Last edited:
Wow, that WWll piece is amazing! Congrats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Took a better one after straightening it out a little showing the detail with better lighting. Mesmerized by this pin...

Attachments

• PinBright.jpg
    PinBright.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 540
That IS a wonderful Pin you got there! My Friends Father was stationed in Burma..he was an aircraft mechanic...working on the planes flying the 'Burma Hump' is the story...thats all I know about what went on over there during those years...I bet you will have a wonderful time with your research on this pin!! Let us know what you find out...Congratulations there OJ!

Nice pin thats a amazing find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks BlackBetty! I probably would have slept with it in my hand, but it's a little "pokey"...:D

That IS a wonderful Pin you got there! My Friends Father was stationed in Burma..he was an aircraft mechanic...working on the planes flying the 'Burma Hump' is the story...thats all I know about what went on over there during those years...I bet you will have a wonderful time with your research on this pin!! Let us know what you find out...Congratulations there OJ!

The amount of units that were involved in that operation between the air Evac squadrons, portable hospitals, surgery units...It's doubtful I'll get any further as to the origination of the thing. I never realized (very few do) the adversity of the split theater there, with the Japanese holding Burma. These folks were kind of thrown in, The Americans, Chinese, Indian, even African tribes-people all serving together and left with hardly any supplies and flying the "Hump" was the only way to get back and forth until the Ledo road was built.

There has been a steady 2300 or so people in the little town my buddy's house is in since 1940. Without any initials or actual date it was made, and we can't even assume the owner/carver wasn't a visitor...

Regardless who carved the pin, I consider it my best find. Sure, I've been collecting coins for a long time, and pulling a seated dime is a spectacular feeling, but there's something completely different knowing someone put all this time and work into making this, there's not another one like it in the world, and it can be seen by lots of people now!

I like the pin and dime.:yes:

Thanks a lot. It was a great day!

very cool Chris đź‘Ť What an amaizing save . She is still in one piece.
Love the barber also . Congradulations again on continuing your good run .

I did sneak out in the woods a few hours Sunday afternoon . Very hard to dig . Did have a few signals that needed to be dug but each with a lot more effort then I would have liked . Did save a few goodies .
Keep it going bro.
, Dew

Attachments

• IMG_1683.jpg
    IMG_1683.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 295
very cool Chris đź‘Ť What an amaizing save . She is still in one piece.
Love the barber also . Congradulations again on continuing your good run .

I did sneak out in the woods a few hours Sunday afternoon . Very hard to dig . Did have a few signals that needed to be dug but each with a lot more effort then I would have liked . Did save a few goodies .
Keep it going bro.
, Dew

Thanks Dew! So glad I didn't Lesche it up. Glad you were able to get out and get a couple nice keepers! Hopefully you guys' temps will be on the upswing. It's 64 here almost 2 hours after dark...:?:

Now I have the old "man, I don't want to break my streak..." pushing me to make sure I'm getting on good dirt. :D HH brother!

Back
Top Bottom