Great seal button ? Threaded shank ??

MattLock

Elite Member
Found this at a 1940s home am guessing it might be from a hat but who know I might be totally wrong

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 571
Without knowing what the text on the back says I'll just have to say that in general they've been used from 1902 to present but I guess yours to be World War II

Without knowing what the text on the back says I'll just have to say that in general they've been used from 1902 to present but I guess yours to be World War II
There is no text on the back should it have some or is it like missing a cover to the back

I'm not sure Matt I just thought maybe there was some texts on the back. I've never found one of the hat buttons but I have found the jacket thing ironically the jacket button that I found based on the text on the back I was able to date to World War 1

I've been in the Army for nearly 26 years. I've never seen anything with a threaded back like this, but knowing the size of it would greatly help narrow down what it is and/or what it was worn on. As far as dating it, that could be tough because things like bottoms, ornaments on head gear, awards and other decorations have not changed in a very long time.

5797bfd72893d574c22871593323ff05.jpg

Notice the buttons on the side... Probably USAAF Us Army Air Force officers hat...

USAAFcap.jpg

Can learn more about these hats, and who wore them abt half way down this page:

The Service Cap was affectionately known in the USAAF as the 'Crusher'. The US bomber pilots wore their service caps on missions over Europe and, in order to accommodate the needs of wearing headphones, they removed the inner wire stiffener from the crown which gave their caps a crumpled and crushed appearance (also known as a '50 mission crush'), hence their nickname. Nothing better expresses the individuality of a USAAF re-enactor than the character of his 'crusher'. http://www.wadhamsfamilyhistory.co.uk/FortiesUSflightuniform.htm

I've been in the Army for nearly 26 years. I've never seen anything with a threaded back like this, but knowing the size of it would greatly help narrow down what it is and/or what it was worn on. As far as dating it, that could be tough because things like bottoms, ornaments on head gear, awards and other decorations have not changed in a very long time.

Right, which is why I said "Without knowing what the text on the back says I'll just have to say that in general they've been used from 1902 to present"

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE, I APPRECIATE YOU!

Nickel size comparison

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 375
5797bfd72893d574c22871593323ff05.jpg

Notice the buttons on the side... Probably USAAF Us Army Air Force officers hat...

USAAFcap.jpg

Can learn more about these hats, and who wore them abt half way down this page:

The Service Cap was affectionately known in the USAAF as the 'Crusher'. The US bomber pilots wore their service caps on missions over Europe and, in order to accommodate the needs of wearing headphones, they removed the inner wire stiffener from the crown which gave their caps a crumpled and crushed appearance (also known as a '50 mission crush'), hence their nickname. Nothing better expresses the individuality of a USAAF re-enactor than the character of his 'crusher'. http://www.wadhamsfamilyhistory.co.uk/FortiesUSflightuniform.htm
size stuff

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 452
Back
Top Bottom