Fisher M-95

borderholic

Hi, brand new to the hobby. I purchased a M-95 at a garage sale. The owner said he used it on the beach with a lot of success. I can't find a manual on it but did find out it is used for utility work.

Anyone know anything about this model? I contacted Fisher about purchasing a manual but haven't heard back from them.

Generally speaking, am I wasting my time using this model on the beach and looking for relics and coins? If so I here a Garrett 250 is a good detector to start out with?

Thank you and I hope to post some findings soon.

I imagine using that antique would be quite frustrating. It is made to find pipes and valves not coins. I'm sure it will pick things up but I doubt there is any way to tell what you have except by digging. The only way to know for sure how it will do is to try it out. I'm guessing that you will quickly tire of digging all the trash and either quit the hobby or buy a detector made to hunt coins and jewelry. Hunting in sand and water presents another set of problems too. Dry sand is usually no problem but wet sand makes cheaper detectors go crazy sometimes. Salt water is a whole other problem and most people get a multi-frequency or pulse induction metal detector for that. Good luck with whatever you decide but the Ace 250 sounds like a lot easier way to go than an antique pipe and valve detector.

I started out with the Ace 250. Best to up grade to the 350. The 250 comes with a concentric coil. That coil will not do well in highly mineralized soil. The 350 comes with a DD coil witch will handle high mineralization. It will do well in dry sand. But it will not handle saltwater minerals. Answer 350 dry sand and dirt. It is a coin beast. And for a new bee it is very easy to learn.

how have you got on with the m95

Hi, brand new to the hobby. I purchased a M-95 at a garage sale. The owner said he used it on the beach with a lot of success. I can't find a manual on it but did find out it is used for utility work.

Anyone know anything about this model? I contacted Fisher about purchasing a manual but haven't heard back from them.

Generally speaking, am I wasting my time using this model on the beach and looking for relics and coins? If so I here a Garrett 250 is a good detector to start out with?

Thank you and I hope to post some findings soon.

hi how did it perform ,have you kept it,cheers nigel

Yeah, don't waste your time with the M95, it's old, and wasn't meant for coin hunting. I'd invest in a 250, or Fisher F2...I'd get the F2. You'll be much happier, find more, have target ID, and a lighter detector that's easier to swing.

I have personally never owned either an ace 250 or f2. But I have used them on occasions and from what I've seen id take the f2 over the 250 any day. As far as upgrading past that the sky is the limit. I wouldn't get the 350 might as well jump to an at pro at that point. I'm sure I'll get beat up by some garrett fan boys for saying a f2 is better. :p

Back
Top Bottom