Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Coinshooters and Relic Hunters

Old 01-16-2014, 11:56 AM
Elite Member

Question Best place to find silver coins?

I've been at this for 9 months. I've found silver rings, gold rings, clad, bullets, buckles, etc but so far no silver coins. One of my goals is to start getting silver coins this year. Where do you guys that find silver find most of your coins? In old neighborhoods, abandoned school sites, homesteads.......? I could possible be limited by my BH machine but I have buried a silver dime and the detector saw it. Might be a depth limitation though.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:14 PM
Super Motivator

Don't think it's your detector rather the locations your hunting. Talk to your friends in town in the older sections and do some door knocking if you can as
yards offer the best chances for older coins. Good luck.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:37 PM
Supporter

My best luck comes from older city parks and private property.

Also, any unpaved parking lots that have some age to them should help produce silver.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:40 PM
Super Motivator

Don't forget your area was hard hit during the dust bowl years so that can affect the depth of coins and other goodies.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:52 PM
Elite Member

I once found a Rosie and an IH together 2" down. Don't know if you have much for lakes down there but old resorts are usually pretty good spots. Not many people could afford a weekend at the lake back in the early 1900's so the ones that did were usually wealthy.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:02 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by North☆Star View post
I once found a Rosie and an IH together 2" down. Don't know if you have much for lakes down there but old resorts are usually pretty good spots. Not many people could afford a weekend at the lake back in the early 1900's so the ones that did were usually wealthy.
What's a lake? LOL The Arkansas River "flows" right by me and it hasn't had water in it at all for 4-5 years. It's so dry that if we catch any fish around here we have to check them for ticks.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by SWKDigger View post
What's a lake? LOL The Arkansas River "flows" right by me and it hasn't had water in it at all for 4-5 years. It's so dry that if we catch any fish around here we have to check them for ticks.
We have plenty of lakes. 200 miles from here about any direction
I can't wait for summer.

Oh and btw i was told that we may see water in the river again before long as it reached the head gates yesterday.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:23 PM
Elite Member

Fairgrounds , sites where old buildings were demolished , around old houses , old schools , etc. have been good spots for me to find silver. But silver coins can literally turn up just about anywhere , you just have to get the detector coil over them.

Since most of the obvious place have been hunted over the years one trick to get the easier silver is to look for the places not so obvious , places that are likely to be passed over by all those looking to hunt the obvious places. Sometimes "easy" silver turns up in the woods and in plain looking sections of riverbank since a lot fewer people hunt there. Old swimming holes are good too.

Research on your particular area or towns history is very important since they usually looked very different back when there were a lot of silver coins in circulation. That open field at the edge of town or stand of trees may have been the site of a thriving business back in the 40's or 50's for example. Everyone passes these places up thinking there wouldnt be anything there judging by how they look now but they dont know they could hold some really good old coins.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:28 PM
Elite Member

I've been at this for 9 months. I've found silver rings, gold rings, clad, bullets, buckles, etc but so far no silver coins. One of my goals is to start getting silver coins this year. Where do you guys that find silver find most of your coins? In old neighborhoods, abandoned school sites, homesteads.......? I could possible be limited by my BH machine but I have buried a silver dime and the detector saw it. Might be a depth limitation though.
Although I'd assume private property is your best bet, do some research on your town. Aside from online resources like historicaerials.com, I've found the local library usually has a good selection of historical pictures, stories, books, etc. that can supply information on sites that might hold coins. Like stated, look for sites that had public events in the past, old parks, and streets that have parking strips that haven't been reworked. Although a bit of luck comes into play, doing your historical research really will up the odds.
Good luck and congrats on finding gold. That's still on my list.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:18 PM
Elite Member

I've found all of my silver coins at older residences that date pre-60's.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:17 PM
Elite Member

now thats some funny stuff!!

Old 01-16-2014, 07:30 PM
Elite Member

I'd look for old one room school houses or picnic groves. I had a gentlemen tell me a story the other day about his grandfather dumping sawdust out and throwing coins into it for the kids to dig in to find the coins at a church picnic.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:34 PM

X2 on rather-be-hunting I've found most of my silver around pre 60s homes there wasn't much money around back in the early 1900s and late 1800s unless u were rich lol

Garrett At pro and pro pointer

Old 01-16-2014, 07:45 PM
Elite Member

I hit old houses due to there are no old parks in my area. I wish there where old parks around me. If there are I have not been able to find them. I do well at old homes.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT3lt5YN59j_6NrzpC9yg0g

Old 01-17-2014, 03:12 AM

I guess I'm more lucky than I am knowledgeable. My first and only hunt, so far, yielded a silver dime. I was just swinging over the snow around city bus stops.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:04 AM
Supporter

Ballfields that have been in use for at least 60-70 years are the best for old silvers.

Hunt the outfields.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:43 AM
Elite Member

Spots that date from before the early 60's are the best places to look for silver...

Old 01-17-2014, 12:35 PM
Elite Member

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions. Being on the board of the local historical society I have a lot of access to information concerning history and I am in research mode for the winter. I have hunted several of the suggested locations but an kind of looking for the high percentage places. I have hunted quite a few places that I thought should hold silver but so far it has eluded me. Part of the reason may be that I really haven't hunted a lot of other peoples yards. I am comfortable with my pinpointing skills and plug digging now so I don't mind working in someone's yard even if they watch me.