Minelab X Terra 505-great detector!

AtomicScott

Hi Everybody!
Before I purchased my 505, I wasn't able to find many reviews on it. I thought I would share my own experience after 12 hours or so of use.
I've taken the X Terra 505 on 4 hunts so far as well as doing some testing in my small backyard.
These are some of my impressions so far:
I used the 6" 7.5 khz concentric coil for the majority of the time.
Today I was at a park built in 1921. It has been hit HARD by numerous detectorists with high end machines, so I wasn't expecting to find any real old coins.
Settings: I was able to run it wide open, max sensitivity alot of the time. The lowest sensitivity used was 17.
I used 4 tones for some of the time, but much of the time and on todays hunt, I used 19 (99) tones and notched out -9 and 48 (thanks longhair and digger) for the duration of the hunt. GB was at 17.
Depth: At a school that I have hit hard with other detectors and had thought it was cleaned out (other than zincolns), I found 1 clad dime at 7", and 1 clad quarter at just under 7" (in additon to several other clad coins that I had missed). The deepest targets were both solid tones and ID#s locked at 42 on quarter and bounced 36-39 on dime. I also found a small .925 sterling necklace pendant at 2" or so. It was a solid 39, bouncing up to 42 a bit.
Sensitivity: I planned to do occassional prospecting with the X Terra, and plan to purchase a 6" 18.75 khz dd coil for that purpose.
Just for the heck of it, I air tested the 505 with a small piece of lead shot that weighs 1 grain. With the sensitivity at 17, threshold 5, I was able to get a good signal at about 1.5". I had to remember, this was with the 6" 7.5 khz coil! I have attached a pic of the lead shot next to a dime for scale. I actually got a little better signal on the lead shot when I backed off the sens from 19 to 17.
Today in my backyard I found a smashed lead pellet from a pellet gun at 2" deep and it came in at a solid 6 ID# every time. One interesting note: I also tested on a rusty bb about 2 times the size of the 1 grain lead shot. No signal, just a droput in threshold at 4+". It really does not seem to like the small iron! EDIT: THIS WAS WITH THE -9 AND 48 NOTCHED OUT. This should really help in the gold bearing areas! I can only imagine how well it will work with the high frequency dd coil.
Separation: this is where the 19 tones (other than my notching out -9 & 48) really starts to make sense. You get the nice song of the multi tones, and realize just how much metal is under the coil, but whenever there is a higher pitch mixed in with the negative iron tones, you can slow down and actually pick those higher tones/numbers out of the surrounding iron. I was only able to do this succesfully with copper pennies so far. Today at the park, I have a -6, 30, 33, -6 pattern that repeats consistently. So I dig the target and find a copper penny about 3" down. I rescanned the area after recovering the penny and I get -6, -6, -6. Very impressive IMO. I recovered the coin, but left the iron behind!
Target ID accuracy: Any target that jumped more than 3 digits, turned out to be trash. One exception was a badly corroded zinc penny that bounced up to 33, from 27-30 a couple times. I did have some problems with 27, 30 ID#s that ended up being bottle caps, rather than zinc pennies. This was not too bad as I always end up passing alot of zincs up (maybe not a good idea but...).
One thing that was nice is when there was a coin spill, the ID would lock on standard number like, 42 and there would be 2 quarters and 1 penny. Or I would get a 36, and it would be a dime and 2 pennies, etc. On some of my other detectors, the ID#s would combine and come up with a strange combination like #27, for a #68 dime and #32 nickel in the same hole. This saved some guesswork when confronted with a pocket spill of multiple coins. I am VERY impressed with this detector, and have only begun to scratch the surface (pun intended, lol.) I have only used a few detectors in my short time detecting (3 years), but this one has been the best (for my applications) so far. Thanks again to all who recommended it.

Attachments

• lead shot.jpg
    lead shot.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,257
You picked a great detector. I love mine and have never regreted it. The 6"hf dd coil is on the end more often than not...love that coil. I'm confident that if there is a target under it, it knows its there. I find the TID quite accurate too. Good choise, and have fun.

I'm very happy with it so far, it get's better every hunt! I'm looking to get the same 6" 18.75 khz coil. The good finds will come with time. I feel confident the X Terra is gonna find it, if it's there to be found.

nelsharpshooter95x55001.jpg

Another good 'un is the NEL Sharpshooter 9.5" x 5.5". It's very precise and easy to pinpoint with. The best technique with it seems to be the DD wiggle, the strongest signal is where the D come together. It comes in 7.5 kHz and 18.75 kHz versions and I have the high frequency version. I like it for the beach to try to locate gold jewelry, I call it, "looking for the twos" because most gold jewelry rings up as a 2 and a low tone on the 705.

Sounds like a great detector,like my AT Pro I found a quarter amongst trash today which it is a poor mans etrac.:yes:;):grin:

A guy at a park I go to has a Minelab 505. Digs lots of quarters and is able to discriminate the bottle tops out. I have an Ace350 and can't do that without losing Quarters. Great machine.

Hit a old homesite this morning with mine. Foundation was there, but the rest of the house I swear they must have spread out over the surounding property. One of the worst places I've hunted as far as iron and trash is concerned. Still managed a 1932 washington quarter with the 6" hf coil. Unfortunatly no mint mark, but its in beatiful shape. Once again, the 505 is awsome.

tips?

Hi Everybody!
Before I purchased my 505, I wasn't able to find many reviews on it. I thought I would share my own experience after 12 hours or so of use.
I've taken the X Terra 505 on 4 hunts so far as well as doing some testing in my small backyard.
These are some of my impressions so far:....

Nice little review! My 505 just showed up today. Very excited. your experience assures me that I've made the right choice. I'm really looking forward to learning this stick.

I'm wondering, now, with more time under your belt, do you have any more tips?

Nice little review! My 505 just showed up today. Very excited. your experience assures me that I've made the right choice. I'm really looking forward to learning this stick.

I'm wondering, now, with more time under your belt, do you have any more tips?
You are really gonna love the XTerra! Depth seems excellent, I found a clad dime at about 8" with the 6" MF coil. One thing I can say is when you get a jumpy coin ID# like 36-39-42 etc.. slow down and hit pinpoint. Be sure to get the target exactly under the center of coil (very easy to do on the X terras). If you rescan and get a solid number with no jumping then it's a digger for sure. If the numbers still jump after pinpointing, it's HIGHLY likely it is trash. It can be a bit overwhelming at first, but it is so impressive in the trashy areas. I always find coins right next to (or in the same hole as) trash. Like longhair says, slow it down and listen closely. You will be amazed at how you find goodies in the trash when using the 19 tones. My previous detector would be almost unusable in some of the areas i've hit with the XTerra. Keep us posted, I cant wait to hear how you like it. Good luck and HH!

I really enjoy this thread. Considering upgrade from my current Delta 4000. Are the minelab extra coils expensive? Trying to keep costs down, but want at least one additional coil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Change coils changes frequency like a new detector

I really enjoy this thread. Considering upgrade from my current Delta 4000. Are the minelab extra coils expensive? Trying to keep costs down, but want at least one additional coil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coils for the X-Terra line seem to run from $150-$200, but remember, a new coil on an X-Terra can literally mean having a new detector. The X-Terra line are variable frequency detectors. The running frequency will depend on the attached coil. The stock 9" coil is a MF 7.5kHz coil, a good general purpose coil. With different coils, the 505 and 705 can be run as LF 3.75 kHz or HF 18.75 kHz detectors for deep relic hunting or gold prospecting! They call it their VFlex technology.

Check out the coil selection guide, page 3.

Great tips. Keep them coming.

Thank you for the tips. I'm looking for all I can get. I know the 505 has a lot of information for me and I really want to learn to understand it's language. There's SO much more information coming out of the 505 than I ever got from my BH Tracker IV. I love the IV, but the 505 feeds my need for information. I think of it as a more social stick; it has a lot more to say to me.

I'm also reading Randy Horton (AKA Digger)'s "Understanding your X-TERRA" for the second time. It's another great reference and a free e-book download with membership to the Minelab site.

You are really gonna love the XTerra! Depth seems excellent, I found a clad dime at about 8" with the 6" MF coil. One thing I can say is when you get a jumpy coin ID# like 36-39-42 etc.. slow down and hit pinpoint. Be sure to get the target exactly under the center of coil (very easy to do on the X terras). If you rescan and get a solid number with no jumping then it's a digger for sure. If the numbers still jump after pinpointing, it's HIGHLY likely it is trash. It can be a bit overwhelming at first, but it is so impressive in the trashy areas. I always find coins right next to (or in the same hole as) trash. Like longhair says, slow it down and listen closely. You will be amazed at how you find goodies in the trash when using the 19 tones. My previous detector would be almost unusable in some of the areas i've hit with the XTerra. Keep us posted, I cant wait to hear how you like it. Good luck and HH!

I have a 505 for about 2-3 yrs now. It is a great detector. I went to the minelab web and down loaded digger's book on the operation of the xterra line. It is free and woth it. Once i read it a lot of things became more clear on how to operate the 505. Good luck

Yes, Diggers book is definitely a must have for X Terra users! So much useful info. I'm learning the 505 more each hunt and I can only say that it just keeps getting better. I almost never run in less than 99 (19) tones. I set up my #2 disc pattern to notch out only -9 and 48 (wrap-around iron tones). This makes it easier to deal with the real trashy, iron filled sites. It's not very likely you will miss much by notching only these 2 numbers/tones out of the remaining 17. Keep us posted on your finds! I've been getting some good info on some old farmhouse foundations nearby, I'm hoping I will have some luck there on some older goodies. If it is there, I'm very confident the X Terra will find it. Scott

Back
Top Bottom