Civil War Gold

Grampy

Forum Supporter
You guy see where that new show on History, Brad Meltzer's DECODED is going to b about 20 Million $$ worth of Rebel gold that disappeared right after the Civil War.
i watched one a few weeks ago.
On this Thursday @ 10 pm.
They show an old guy standing there w/ a detector in the previews. Yeah great, they show him standing in front of some historic grave making the detector beep.... :dash2: great P.R.

I seen a show about guys with detectors looking for the lost CSA gold and silver about 2 years ago with detectors. If anyone read's the full story of the "lost Confederate treasure" you will see most if not all of it was paid out. By 1865 the Confederacy was nearly bankrupt and as the Confederate leadership along with its attached cavalry and infantry units headed south fleeing the advancing union army they spent much of the remaining money paying out back pay to the troops along the way, much of the treasure was also private property and bank property and what was left of the confederate treasury was most likely divided up or taken by those with access to it. Of the dozens or possibly hundreds of people who would have witnessed the treasure being buried im sure one would have gone back and dug it up shortly after especially with the final collapse of the Confederacy. It's nice to think it is out there waiting to be found but I feel that it was long spent.

I agree with CoiltoSoil.... although there is undoubtedly hidden gold (by plantation owners etc), I would expect the large booty was dispersed or recovered. RickO

Well I have the timer set so I can watch it tonight. I don't look for them to find it, but I watch most anything that has to do with MDing.:cool:

Reminder guys it's on tonight at 10pm and 2am! Looks pretty interesting, I hope they prove me wrong. :grin:

I had a few issues with the show, first off the tree with carvings looks fairly young, not 150+ years old, secondly wouldn't carvings cut in tree's after several decades be unrecognizable? I know where I hunt they're initials and dates in several tree's and the ones from the 1950's are almost impossible to see and the later 60's and 70's ones are showing signs of being grown over and secondly I doubt the KGC if it still exist in any form which it did in 1865 would still be guarding the same jars of silver coins, why guard small jars of 160 year old silver and gold coins? A lot of these treasures seem to be in poorer area's, it's hard to believe in 140 years not a single person has taken the caches. Most caches today exist because everyone who knew the locations died within a lifetime of it being hidden. Cash them in and put them in interest bearing accounts, make some money off them. The guy claims to have found caches and they did show pictures of these caches, nothing I seen would suggest he found 200k worth of hidden treasure. To me I feel he did find a few small caches but most likely they were not Confederate silver and gold but most likely caches hidden by farmers and land owners.

I had a few issues with the show, first off the tree with carvings looks fairly young, not 150+ years old, secondly wouldn't carvings cut in tree's after several decades be unrecognizable? I know where I hunt they're initials and dates in several tree's and the ones from the 1950's are almost impossible to see and the later 60's and 70's ones are showing signs of being grown over and secondly I doubt the KGC if it still exist in any form which it did in 1865 would still be guarding the same jars of silver coins, why guard small jars of 160 year old silver and gold coins? A lot of these treasures seem to be in poorer area's, it's hard to believe in 140 years not a single person has taken the caches. Most caches today exist because everyone who knew the locations died within a lifetime of it being hidden. Cash them in and put them in interest bearing accounts, make some money off them. The guy claims to have found caches and they did show pictures of these caches, nothing I seen would suggest he found 200k worth of hidden treasure. To me I feel he did find a few small caches but most likely they were not Confederate silver and gold but most likely caches hidden by farmers and land owners.

Possibly, but we know that they did bury their coins and treasures, so the mystery remains lol

I watched it when I got home from work (2am) and I wasn't impressed at all. The guy didn't even show the actual gold/silver, just pictures. He could have taken the pics from anywhere. Then there was the "wild goose chase", come on...don't waste my time. If you're going to spend all that money filming an hour long program at least show us something!

I watched it when I got home from work (2am) and I wasn't impressed at all. The guy didn't even show the actual gold/silver, just pictures. He could have taken the pics from anywhere. Then there was the "wild goose chase", come on...don't waste my time. If you're going to spend all that money filming an hour long program at least show us something!

Agreed!! It was a big waste of time. They spent more time 'decoding' meaningless symbols than digging anything! They only covered ground that they suspected! Talk about LAZY 'decoders'. This show was a crock. I seriously doubt that guy has found 'KFC caches' or whatever that stupid acronym was. He's just an old crazy Santa Claus look a like.

On the other hand...if they showed him digging up a Confederate grave and finding a huge cache of gold and silver, could you imagine what cemetaries around the country would look like after this weekend?

Seriously though, it was like all the ghost hunting and monster quest shows if you ask me, filming a lot of wasting time...

I think there is a ton of money buried out there and most will probably never be found. Just think of all the gold/silver coins buried in peoples yards during the depression when people didn't trust the banks. Paper money stashed in walls of houses for the same reason. Then there is money from robberies that was stashed by the crooks that for some reason or another never recovered it.

It's out there, we all know it is but chances of it ever being found are slim to none.

It does keep the dream alive though...

I agree, after watching the rest of the show it was the biggest crock if s--- I have ever seen. How can something like that be aired? The guys seem to have no idea what they were doing, it looks like they made up stuff as they went a long. A few years ago they had another MUCH better show on about the gold where the guys actually had metal detectors and where hitting locations around the area's that where rumored to hold some of the large caches and the show also had a much better take on the Confederate gold and not all this fantasy KGC crap and "I see a ghost carving on a tree". I expected much better from the History Channel even though most of the crap they air anymore has nothing to do with history. The only good thing about the show was the host lady was cute, that is all that kept my attention haha. Oh and was that cache pic supposed to be his $200k find? Since when are a handful of silver dollars and gold coins worth 200k unless they are rare dates.

i have yet to see that show "decode" anything..if ya ask me that show is lame...i did like seeing that guy in the cemetary with the 2 box detector tho :lol:

i have yet to see that show "decode" anything..if ya ask me that show is lame...i did like seeing that guy in the cemetary with the 2 box detector tho :lol:

Yep it makes us look great. I also loved how they were trying to hide and how that old guy runs around in places he shouldn't be. I bet those guys with the AK47s just wanted to intimidate. Anyone can buy an AK47 out where I live. Of course they're not automatic but still gets the hint across. That stupid guy obviously nighthawks and trespasses all day long. People like him are ruining our hobby.

Yep it makes us look great. I also loved how they were trying to hide and how that old guy runs around in places he shouldn't be. I bet those guys with the AK47s just wanted to intimidate. Anyone can buy an AK47 out where I live. Of course they're not automatic but still gets the hint across. That stupid guy obviously nighthawks and trespasses all day long. People like him are ruining our hobby.

You said it man!!!...Curt

Agreed!! It was a big waste of time. They spent more time 'decoding' meaningless symbols than digging anything! They only covered ground that they suspected! Talk about LAZY 'decoders'. This show was a crock. I seriously doubt that guy has found 'KFC caches' or whatever that stupid acronym was. He's just an old crazy Santa Claus look a like.

I totally agree the show was bogus. Especially the guy pointing out all the symbols for finding a treasure buried 150 years ago on trees no more than 25-50 years old. :doah: Also I don't think they had the time to stop and make all the complicated signs and symbols on trees with intersecting lines on a template to find the treasure after they buried it. I think they were on the run with the money and in too much of a hurry to do that. The guy that made up all the symbol bs is probably sitting in a bar buying drinks for his buddies laughing at how much the history channel paid him to be on the show.:beers:

I totally agree the show was bogus. Especially the guy pointing out all the symbols for finding a treasure buried 150 years ago on trees no more than 25-50 years old. :doah: Also I don't think they had the time to stop and make all the complicated signs and symbols on trees with intersecting lines on a template to find the treasure after they buried it. I think they were on the run with the money and in too much of a hurry to do that. The guy that made up all the symbol bs is probably sitting in a bar buying drinks for his buddies laughing at how much the history channel paid him to be on the show.:beers:[/[\QUOTE]

:lol: Again, so true!

Back
Top Bottom