Will we soon have OK to detect Nat'l Pks?

George (MN)

Elite Member
Most of Federal Advisory Panel has resigned. Wonder if we'll have a narrow window of 1 or 2 days?

You're not suggesting .... for one cotton picken' moment, that .... lack of a few NPS personnel equates to "go for it". Are you ? After all: If you're out there in the middle-of-nowhere (Grand canyon, mojave desert, Yellowstone back-country wilderness, etc....) that undercover agents DO INDEED hide behind every tree. Waiting to jump out and get you.

Repent of your idea, and we'll allow you back on the forum :laughing:

Life's Greatest Successes are comprised of boldly taking advantage of Narrow little windows of opportunity combined with the right mixture of preparation, awareness, and bravado,...:laughing: As every second floor B&E expert well knows...:laughing:

Lifes Greatest achievements can be summed up by Henny Youngman's famous punchline, "Timing!":laughing::laughing: Take pics, do a post!...Note: I wish I woulda leaned my detector up against that sign!:laughing:

Attachments

• ed-1.jpg
    ed-1.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 459
  • no detectors.jpg
    no detectors.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 457
Life's Greatest Successes are comprised of Narrow little windows of opportunity ...

Of course ... you meant "present company excepted". Of course. Right ? Because you and I would never even exceed the speed limit. EVEN if/when there was a "narrow window of opportunity".

Of course ... you meant "present company excepted". Of course. Right ? Because you and I would never even exceed the speed limit. EVEN if/when there was a "narrow window of opportunity".

Of course! Nor would we ever be caught trespassing! Some reckless people commonly say, "Laws are meant to be broken"...I DO NOT ascribe to that! Thats a self defeating mindset that leads to ruin!

More like, "Laws are intended to be skillfully avoided"...See? Subtle but important difference in the interpretation....:laughing:

Last edited:
...See? Subtle but important difference in the interpretation....:laughing:

Mud-puppy, if it wasn't the internet bring a slow death to printed books, you would be the next famous author. Your writing skills and wry humor always bring a chuckle!

Mud-puppy, if it wasn't the internet bring a slow death to printed books, you would be the next famous author. Your writing skills and wry humor always bring a chuckle!

Well, its a nice thought Tom, but thanks primarily to AlGore's fabulous internet invention, things have changed. You dont really need to know how to read or write! Now a days theres Youtube vids! See, Back in the Olden days, if a guy wanted to learn about something, or be entertained in any form, without a magnifying glass and an ant hill, or a fishing pole, he had to go through the troublesome process of reading about things...In Books! This has freed up all sorts of wasted unproductive time for our Nations Modern Youth!

When I was a kid, grinding out my indentured servitude at St. Richards, we used to have to write 100 'book reports' per season!...Child abuse! We had things called 'pencil sharpeners' even! In every classroom! Imagine a small MorBark hand cranked woodchipper! No safety training, Lock out Tag out parameters,, PPE equipment, or Adult Supervision! Gobbling up Ticonderoga #2's like a Home Depot mulch factory on the daily!...

Anyway, back then as I remember, My favorite author of all time was Roy Chapman Andrews! In one of his tomes, "All About Whales" he had me at hello....I 'checked' it out of the Library no less than 30 times...got my fingers slapped by a steel edged ruler wielded by the resident Kill Bill Papist PaiMei trained and ancient ageless Samurai...Sr Michaelinda... for displaying an unhealthy interest in large stupid Ocean Mammals, and possibly in their ultimate procurement...Lord she could swing that steel edge ruler like a Hatori Hanso katana!! Like damn! Fingers flying! She was twice as mean, violent, and not anywhere as visually stimulating as Daryl Hannah, or even that one other girl? David Carradine?

I wonder if the Protestant kids across town at the Public school gotta put up with this kind of stuff? Instead of saying, "Good Morning Children" Sr. Michaelinda would greet the classroom: "Shut Up, Sit down, I'm gonna Murder you Kid!" "I'm gonna bash you one Kid!" was considered a welcomed compliment..she held her ruler sideways on 'Bash'.... hit you on the side of head, flat blade, like any good tutor...damn hard to prepare for the 'Bash Or Murder'.......might survive until lunchtime on the 'bash'...'murder? Yeah..scuttle, out the window, anywhere else, dont count on your classmates to lay down surpressing fire ..come back tomorrow maybe......

My 8th grade graduating class had 4...started with 20...sort of like the Navy Seals? But 'Hell Week' lasted a year, with no tattoos or Govt pension to show for it...

Yes, there were Libraries back then, a moldy smelling 'thumbnail zip file' kind of thingy, chock full of books, where people went to act smart, show off, and learn about things, like keeping quiet and going invisible... pretty much like Starbucks, without paying for a $7 MochaLatte or iced frappachino.....

If we wanted to work on a Car, we had to buy Chiltons manuals, if we wanted to go deep exploring backroads in all States, we had to buy the DeLorme Maps...Now a days with the Youtube, I dont know why any Company wastes the time money and effort to put together an owners manual or assembly instructions? IKEA? Swiss Miss Please! Nobody friggin reads them anyway, on account of the first 5 pages are safety disclaimers, who gives a shid about that? I need to get this damn baby crib thing put together!...Cut to the chase and google up a youtube vid!

Youtube is Great! I can learn how to snare snowshoe rabbits in the Arctic,, change the headlight bulb out of a 2001 Corolla, replace the bearings out of a Whirlpool front load washer...change out a shidder wax grommet, tile a floor, reload 22-250 52 gr BTHP match, with Winchester 760 ball powder to deliver 3750 FPS with sub MOA accuracy?...Yep!..right there for free on Youtube!

Who needs to read anymore? From beekeeping to buttermaking! All easily available for free on Youtube! Waste of time to read, study or research!! And here I got the full set of Foxfires! :laughing:

I'd sure like to go up into Hudson Bay some Winter, sneak out on the ice, and harpoon myself a Narwhal!...I dont know why?...Prepubescent Psychological repair session? My Sr Michaelinda get even event?...Roy Chapman Andrews would certainly think it cool!

As I throw my harpoon, "I'm gonna Murder you Kid!" will be going through my mind...I'll probably even holler it out for full effect!! Thanks to Roy Chapman Andrews, and Sr. Michaelinda!.....so yeah...I guess...I wouldnt be out here on a Hudson Bay Ice slab harpooning a Narwhal without their encouragement during my formative years? Maybe even write up a a nice story about it??.......:laughing:

Last edited:
.... When I was a kid, ....

Another great read :) And you just "dated yourself". You must be on the ugly side of 50 yrs. old, if you remember all those things. :laughing:

I remember when .... if you got in trouble at school, you could get spanked ! But now, if you get in trouble at school (and merely verbally appraised) parents will now sue the school .

And I remember when, if we fell out of a tree and broke our arm, we'd get another scolding for having been so stupid as to be climbing recklessly in trees. But now: Not a problem: Sue the person who owns the tree. If it's your own tree: Sue the person who sold you the seedling.

Times are great, eh ? :laughing:

Another great read :) And you just "dated yourself". You must be on the ugly side of 50 yrs. old, if you remember all those things. :laughing:

I remember when .... if you got in trouble at school, you could get spanked ! But now, if you get in trouble at school (and merely verbally appraised) parents will now sue the school .

And I remember when, if we fell out of a tree and broke our arm, we'd get another scolding for having been so stupid as to be climbing recklessly in trees. But now: Not a problem: Sue the person who owns the tree. If it's your own tree: Sue the person who sold you the seedling.

Times are great, eh ? :laughing:

Outstanding! My Little Brother got his arm broked playing 'Smear the Queer' out on the schoolyard playground at lunchtime! In the 70's.....He said he was distracted whilst pitching woo to a 6th grader hottie, wasnt paying attention and got blindsided by some 3rd grade girl!...

I always wondered though?..Maybe like what recently happened to Sen Rand Paul? ..I dont remember anybody making a big deal out of it, like what happened to him?.....

Our Folks didnt even know about my little Brothers upper humerus fracture abrogation?..shameful as the circumstances were....getting your arm busted by a 3rd grade girl on the playground? Playing smear the queer? ...Yeah, Dad woulda rightfully beat his @ss for that one...

Last edited:
Federal Advisory Panel

Sounds like one of those jobs that pay very well... and on the surface looks like your important.... but deep down the job is almost meaningless and a 10 year old could do it.

Outstanding! My Little Brother got his arm broked playing 'Smear the Queer' out on the schoolyard playground at lunchtime! In the 70's.....He said he was distracted whilst pitching woo to a 6th grader hottie, wasnt paying attention and got blindsided by some 3rd grade girl!...

I always wondered though?..Maybe like what recently happened to Sen Rand Paul? ..I dont remember anybody making a big deal out of it, like what happened to him?.....

Our Folks didnt even know about my little Brothers upper humerus fracture abrogation?..shameful as the circumstances were....getting your arm busted by a 3rd grade girl on the playground? Playing smear the queer? ...Yeah, Dad woulda rightfully beat his @ss for that one...

Now there's a game that if you even to mention in todays world you would probably wind up in some 40 hour sensitiity class. Man it was fun to play back in the day, wound up with more cuts and bruises from it but that's how you build character as a kid growing up in the 70's and 80's. Today if you chew a poptart into the shape of gun and point it at someone you are expelled from kindergarten for the year. Heck I think even Red Rover is banned from schools these days, hurt the little kids arms. Suprised they are still allowed to play dodgeball, then again I think they are nerf balls that are used now. Back in school we also had the big kid who could throw an over inflated basketball at 90 mph and that thing would take your head off.

.... My Little Brother got his arm broked playing 'Smear the Queer' out on the schoolyard playground at lunchtime! In the 70's.....He said he was distracted whilst pitching woo to a 6th grader hottie, wasnt paying attention and got blindsided by some 3rd grade girl!...

I always wondered though?..Maybe like what recently happened to Sen Rand Paul? ..I dont remember anybody making a big deal out of it, like what happened to him?.......

Now there's a game that if you even to mention in todays world you would probably wind up in some 40 hour sensitiity class....

Haha. In those days you could tell your secretary: "you look nice today". But .... not today. You can get sued for harassment bias for saying that, eh ? Not saying that some men aren't totally inappropriate. But ... on the other hand ... it's gotten a bit ridiculous. Yeah, right, I'm going to take a 40 hr. sensitivity class now ? Aaarrgghh.

On a more serious note to the question originally asked, GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWNS ARE A MYTH. Many seem to think that with a gov. shutdown every employee doesn't have to show up. ESSENTIAL EMPLOYEES MUST SHOW UP, they have no choice. These employees include, you guessed it, law enforcement, as well as a few other not so easily seem positions.

As far as hunting the parks, why???? There are plenty of fish in the sea, find another one. But hey, if you want to risk going to prison, receiving a large fine, a public shaming, and banishment from any National park site, go for it I guess....

.... going to prison, receiving a large fine, a public shaming, and banishment from any National park site,....

Do not construe this as "advocating md'ing NPS", but .... curious: Do you know of anyone who's "gone to prison, received a large fine , and been banished from all other NPS from then on out" ?

If there is ANY such example of that, it would be for someone who was being obnoxious, couldn't take a warning, and/or was night-sneaking an OBVIOUS sacred monument. But if you have a link to the contrary, I would like to see it.

Do not construe this as "advocating md'ing NPS", but .... curious: Do you know of anyone who's "gone to prison, received a large fine , and been banished from all other NPS from then on out" ?

If there is ANY such example of that, it would be for someone who was being obnoxious, couldn't take a warning, and/or was night-sneaking an OBVIOUS sacred monument. But if you have a link to the contrary, I would like to see it.

This is just the first article I clicked after googling "man arrested for metal detecting national parks". Dates to 2004, but the problem has not gotten better in recent years according to the google results I received.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/4038183/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/park-rangers-take-relic-hunters/#.WmAwi4WcHIU

As far as people being obnoxious, some of it, such as people who pick up and take an interesting looking artifact without honestly knowing the rules could be considered obnoxious. But as some of the cases in the provided article show, there are those who knowingly md/ take from a site that do so in stealth. You don't metal detect in stealth unless you know what you are doing is wrong/ illegal/ distasteful/ whatever you want to call it.

As far as your question goes Tom, it does not fully make sense. You ask me if I know of anyone that has "gone to prison, received a large fine, and been banished from all other NPS from then on out" ? but then do not provide a reason for the punishment. I am going to assume its simply being caught taking artifacts from a NPS site while mding.

On a complete side note, in recent years there have been quite a few people who have been banned, as well as fined and in some cases put on probation for "damaging" the natural resources of the parks. In particular, there was one young woman (early to mid 20s I believe) who went on a cross country road trip to tour several national parks. In the process, she thought it would be a smart idea to start painting (with permanent paint) rocks along popular hiking trails in just about all the parks she went to. Even more intelligent on her part was to post photos of her "art" on social media, thereby screwing herself over and eventually being caught and prosecuted. Her punishment??

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-graffiti-artist-sentenced---20160620-snap-htmlstory.html

She is obviously not the sharpest tool in the shed, being that she was ignorant enough to think that the American people, as well as foreign tourists, would rather see her art work on a rock than the natural beauty of the rock. But I digress, this is a completely different subject than the original topic.

You're not suggesting .... for one cotton picken' moment, that .... lack of a few NPS personnel equates to "go for it". Are you ? After all: If you're out there in the middle-of-nowhere (Grand canyon, mojave desert, Yellowstone back-country wilderness, etc....) that undercover agents DO INDEED hide behind every tree. Waiting to jump out and get you.

Repent of your idea, and we'll allow you back on the forum :laughing:

I'll wait until something actually happens, I guess. I've got a few thousand parks & schoolyards in the metro that I've detected rarely or never. Some of these city parks are a few hundred acres, and several dozen or so of the smaller parks are 1800s. Besides, I'm maybe 300 mi f/nearest Nat'l Park, except Mississippi River Nat'l Pk of which so far 99% is not owned by Feds.

sure, just grab your detector and go to your closest CW battlefield.

I'm going to Gettysburg - wanna come with me???

Gettysburg is all played out, not worth the trouble!....a Few years back, there was an article about it....One guy and his dog hunted Gettysburg at night for they figure 7+yrs...After dark, He would ride his bicycle down there with his dog and his detector and commence to excavate all sorts of amazing finds!...

If I remember correctly, the only reason they caught him was somebody noticed an obviously fresh cut hole plug in the grass...then they sat back and waited....Nowadays with trail cams and FLIR, motion sensors, a guy would have to duly consider ways to circumvent these added encumbrances...

Some sort of old metal detecting bum who lived in a backyard shed at his Sisters house near the park..completely invisible to the World...sold his finds for beer money.....It was in all the papers, wasnt me...coulda been though..:laughing:.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom