10K vs 14K VDI numbers

Dan(NM)

Elite Member
I had a guy approach me at the lake today who lost a 14K college class ring size 11. I told him I would spend time looking for it and get it back to him if I happen to recover it. I have a 10K college class ring I found this year(unable to locate owner) but, it's a 10K. On the Simplex, it reads 64-65, the Nox hits at 20-21 I'm wondering how much of a difference the 14K will read. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Depending on Size, metal the gold is allowed with, and the percentage of gold it could have a vdi from anywhere on the scale from foil to zinc penny. I took 15 gold rings of various sizes (all 14k) and got 15 different vdi numbers with my machine

I have noticed that white gold doesn't give expected numbers also.

I always get higher #s with 14K than I do with 10K.

Class rings SIZE matters, though. If it's a large men's ring, then you can expect as high as penny range.

I have found a 2.3g 10K Lady's ring that rang up 11/12 and a 9 g 14K Men's ring 21 I believe. I run the 600 but do not remember which program.

Here is a video that may help. Just remember that soil conditions also affect the vdi.

https://youtu.be/P7345qtsc7s

Back
Top Bottom