CTX 3030 battery replacement

low tide

Elite Member
Ok peeps, The majority of us are thrifty mo-fo's who will DIY 90% of the time. With that said, my CTX 3030 lithium ion battery took a dump after a surprisingly LONG 7 yrs of heavy usage. Time for a new one as the AA optional pack (I believe) isn't waterproof. Maybe it is, I dunno but I want my Lithium one again. :cool3:
I went on youtube and there's a great video on how to swap them out. I'll spare you all the details just go watch it. titled 15$ CTX 3030 battery replacement from CTX Prospector.
He says to CAREFULLY pop off the nickel strips that connect the batteries. No Bueno. They are about at thin as 5 pieces of aluminum foil pressed together. I was very ginger with it and ended up wasting the 1st strip out the gate. There are 4 connections on one side and double stacked 4 on the other multiplying your odds of failure.
At this point it was 1 of 2 options. Throw the pack in the gutter and pay 180 bucks for another battery.. BOOOOO

option 2: find some more strips, desolder the junction at the board and simply solder the strips to the batteries and to the board. If that fails, then I'm screwed either way. The strips cost 9.00 shipped and here's the link if you get this far into your failure.
https://ussolid.com/0-15x6x50mm-50-...NR3E43iyXEcT3MqLIbTU3D1KhoNM8FooaAnroEALw_wcB
You're welcome. PS don't over heat the board connections. If you don't have computer-ish repair skills pass it over to a nerd friend.

I Haven’t done this yet, but was afraid of this.

As he was going through his video, I was thinking;
* cut the strips off the old battery as close as you can to the point where they are soldered to the battery
* solder new strips to the new battery and leave a little extra at the end
* solder the two together

And... why use a sharpened screwdriver? Maybe a razor blade is too sharp?

For those who haven’t seen it, here’s the video Low Tide mentioned...

R5

I tried a razor blade 1st. No joy. Then a sharpened avionics screwdriver. No joy. Then I even tried a super thin drill bit on the spots that looked spot weld/soldered. Nope.. then I tried a little harder with the screwdriver. TORE THE STRIP. $&#($^#(#^@!!! option 2 waiting for delivery of the new stips.

Tear the strips off with small side cutters. Buy some copper tape and fold it upon itself to make it thicker. Solder it to the new battery in place of the strips. Just made a new pack for my robot vac this way. Did my CTX pack months ago.

I actually bought a “dead” battery off eBay for $40 to do this project. Plugged it in and it’s holding a charge. Maybe you’ll get lucky too... but then...

Seller is still there. Asking $79 OBO. So I offered $40 and they took it. Don’t know how many they have.

R5

I attempted the YouTube instructions last week. The 2 metal bands broke but Not where I couldn't solder them together. I charged the battery and used it without problems 2 days later! I also noticed you can purchase "tabbing wire" or as mentioned above, copper ribbon to replace the torn strips

Low Tide,

Wondering how this is coming along... ?

R5

Back
Top Bottom