Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Antiques Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Research and Getting Permission

Old 06-17-2020, 09:01 AM

Default Got my first random permission

Sitting in the parking lot at my Drís office yesterday I happened to notice a large field across the street, behind a shopping plaza. I decided to look up the property owner and discovered it was recently purchased by an out of town church. Researching, I discovered it is 17 acres (canít see that much from the road) and the church will soon begin construction for a new building. I decided to send them an email and ask if I could detect. I reasoned that with upcoming construction it would be great to save anything that may be soon lost forever. Well I got my answer this morning. They said yes. He did say one member already detected there and didnít find much but with 17 acres and all detectorists and machines being different Iím going to try it anyway. You never know. Iím so excited.

Old 06-17-2020, 02:54 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Newblue View post
Sitting in the parking lot at my Drís office yesterday I happened to notice a large field across the street, behind a shopping plaza. I decided to look up the property owner and discovered it was recently purchased by an out of town church. Researching, I discovered it is 17 acres (canít see that much from the road) and the church will soon begin construction for a new building. I decided to send them an email and ask if I could detect. I reasoned that with upcoming construction it would be great to save anything that may be soon lost forever. Well I got my answer this morning. They said yes. He did say one member already detected there and didnít find much but with 17 acres and all detectorists and machines being different Iím going to try it anyway. You never know. Iím so excited.

Nice. Any old maps showing what occupied the field in the past?

Old 06-17-2020, 03:02 PM

The thing about other people having detected there before is usually a crock to passive aggressively dissuade you from hunting it. Even church goers lie. Hunt it, have fun, and report back. Good luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-17-2020, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Bill_Ace_350 View post
Nice. Any old maps showing what occupied the field in the past?
Only map I could find was from the 1850ís and showed an old school house nearby, not on the actual property but about 150 yards from it. Also looks like itís always been a field so maybe it was farm land. Iím not great at reading old maps but thatís what Iím hoping for. The old map showed the school house and woods and this open field. At least with a school having been nearby and it was open land Iím hoping people probably walked through it. Itís my first permission from a stranger so Iím happy just to try it. And itís big enough to keep me busy for a while.

Old 06-17-2020, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by aeds151 View post
The thing about other people having detected there before is usually a crock to passive aggressively dissuade you from hunting it. Even church goers lie. Hunt it, have fun, and report back. Good luck!!!
Thank you aeds151. Iím not feeling deterred. Iíd hunt it even if I actually saw other people detecting in the past. You never know what other people could miss. I will most definitely report back.

Old 06-17-2020, 05:23 PM
Supporter

Sitting in the parking lot at my Drís office yesterday I happened to notice a large field across the street, behind a shopping plaza.........
Awesome! Good luck on the permission.

Minelab Equinox 800; Minelab Explorer II; Garrett AT Pro & AT Pinpointer

Old 06-22-2020, 02:05 PM
Elite Member

Only map I could find was from the 1850ís and showed an old school house nearby, not on the actual property but about 150 yards from it. Also looks like itís always been a field so maybe it was farm land. Iím not great at reading old maps but thatís what Iím hoping for. The old map showed the school house and woods and this open field. At least with a school having been nearby and it was open land Iím hoping people probably walked through it. Itís my first permission from a stranger so Iím happy just to try it. And itís big enough to keep me busy for a while.
Put yourself in the place of the children, parents, and teachers heading to that schoolhouse. Figure out what path you would take to get to it walking from nearby homes (look at the old homes in the areas on the map) and take the same path. Remember that often the schoolhouse was also the meeting place for the town/neighborhood.