Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Research and Getting Permission

Old 06-02-2020, 02:37 PM

Default Michigan Roadside Parks?

Just curious to know if the Michigan Dept. of Transportation Roadside Parks are fair game to detect? I'm not sure if this would fall under the same category as an official rest-stop on the highway.

But the Roadside Park I'm thinking of has a bathroom maintained by the state, although, no vending machines that I'm aware of. The sign out front definitely does not say "Rest Stop".

Its on a 2 lane road out in the country, and has been there for over 50 years. I've detected it once very quickly about 7 years ago, and found a barber dime within the first 15 minutes. I've always wanted to go back but don't want to break any laws. Not sure of who to even contact regarding permission.

Old 06-02-2020, 03:30 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by pros3lyte View post
Just curious to know if the Michigan Dept. of Transportation Roadside Parks are fair game to detect? I'm not sure if this would fall under the same category as an official rest-stop on the highway.

But the Roadside Park I'm thinking of has a bathroom maintained by the state, although, no vending machines that I'm aware of. The sign out front definitely does not say "Rest Stop".

Its on a 2 lane road out in the country, and has been there for over 50 years. I've detected it once very quickly about 7 years ago, and found a barber dime within the first 15 minutes. I've always wanted to go back but don't want to break any laws. Not sure of who to even contact regarding permission.
I would imagine that would fall into the "road right of way" domain. Except that instead of a typical road, where the right-of-way ends out at a certain # of yards beyond the pavement edge, in this case, it's a few acre side-plot.

As such, you would not confuse anything to do with Michigan state PARKS, with this. Since road right of way and park's dept. are two entirely separate things (even though both are state-administered).

I don't believe ANY park (of any stripe or color or administration) "needs permission". No more so than you'd need permission to fly a frisbee there. Instead, you'd ask yourself: Are there any rules or prohibitions that say "No md'ing " there. And if not, presto : Not prohibited. And as such, I'll bet that you can look till the cows come home, and find no-such-rule for roadside rests.

In fact, I'll bet that ... unlike parks which have "rules" (eg.: closes at sunset, no fireworks, etc...), I'll bet these roadside rests don't have any "rules" beyond what is on their signs there (eg.: dogs on leash, etc...). So that if you asked someone in the bureaucracy "where is the list of rules", they would probably look at you like you're from outer space.

If I were you, I'd just do it. Why would anyone care ? Is it an obvious historic sensitive monument or something ?

Or
you can knock yourself silly asking higher and higher up the bureaucracy, until you find yourself the latest victim of "no one cared till you asked". Take your choice .

Last edited by Tom_in_CA; 06-02-2020 at 11:12 PM.

Old 06-02-2020, 09:25 PM

When are you running for office on the pro metal detecting platform Tom?

You have my vote

Old 06-02-2020, 10:13 PM
Elite Member

It depends on who's park it is. If it's a State park, it's off limits. If it's a county park, have at it!

The best that you know is the best that you've had.
Slow Down, and you'll achieve a more harmonious outcome.

Old 06-03-2020, 01:53 AM

I doughy if anyone would bother you as long as you are careful. The most im guessing is just to leave. State parks are different and they have a website that says where you can only detect in them.
Iím from Michigan and if I see a roadside park especially on a two lane road I be detecting it.
Doug

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-16-2020, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
I would imagine that would fall into the "road right of way" domain. Except that instead of a typical road, where the right-of-way ends out at a certain # of yards beyond the pavement edge, in this case, it's a few acre side-plot.

As such, you would not confuse anything to do with Michigan state PARKS, with this. Since road right of way and park's dept. are two entirely separate things (even though both are state-administered).

I don't believe ANY park (of any stripe or color or administration) "needs permission". No more so than you'd need permission to fly a frisbee there. Instead, you'd ask yourself: Are there any rules or prohibitions that say "No md'ing " there. And if not, presto : Not prohibited. And as such, I'll bet that you can look till the cows come home, and find no-such-rule for roadside rests.

In fact, I'll bet that ... unlike parks which have "rules" (eg.: closes at sunset, no fireworks, etc...), I'll bet these roadside rests don't have any "rules" beyond what is on their signs there (eg.: dogs on leash, etc...). So that if you asked someone in the bureaucracy "where is the list of rules", they would probably look at you like you're from outer space.

If I were you, I'd just do it. Why would anyone care ? Is it an obvious historic sensitive monument or something ?

Or
you can knock yourself silly asking higher and higher up the bureaucracy, until you find yourself the latest victim of "no one cared till you asked". Take your choice .

Haha I love this. Thank you for the great reply!

I ended up going for it. Spent about two hours out there and found NOTHING but can slaw. It was definitely a bummer in that regard. But while I was there, a Michigan State Police Trooper pulled up, got out and used the bathroom, then hung out in the parking lot looking for speeders. He completely ignored me, so I took that as a great sign. I just chose to stay back away from the bathrooms and the picnic tables/parking lot a little ways, so as not to bother anyone else.

Old 06-16-2020, 04:45 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by pros3lyte View post
..... He completely ignored me,.....
What ? SAY IT ISN'T SO ! No handcuffs ? No trips in the back of a squad car to jail ? No fines ? No confiscations ? I CAN'T BELIEVE IT !

If the tone we-are-told is imminent is to occur, then *most certainly* you should have been cuffed and stuff and in the cell with Bubba by now. I simply can't believe it ! Some of our skittish folk should join on this thread and explain why the imminent results didn't happen in this case. I'm all ears.