Detecting Parks Is Hard Work...I Have To Sit Down

Great story! Love reading it like I was there with you. A HUGE congrats on finding a seated QUARTER! I have only found 1 seated over here in Washington state and it was a 20 center' :D

I totally can imagine your surprise and joy all at the same time...plus 2 fine Indians!

What a great hunt!

Thanks Buellride! I’m glad you enjoyed it! Yep, the left coast has a bit of a disadvantage for those older coins just because of history of occupation, but a twenty center is an awesome score!! Congrats on that massive bucketlister!!

WOW, Now that's a fine hunt for a hard hit park. A huge congrats on your first seated and oldest silver. A seated anything is still top of my list but they continue to elude me. I did dig an 1892 Barber, close but no cigar. Nice write up as well Ben. The old adage still rings true, Never hunted out. I hit a pounded park yesterday and managed two silvers, Merc and Rosie, a Buff and a 20s something wheat. Good luck and I would definitely hit that place again. HH Mark

Thanks so much Mark! I didn’t realize that you hadn’t found any Seated coins yet - it’s always interesting to hear the various white whales each of have, even after years of detecting. For me, it’s has been quarters - until this find I’d never found one older than a silver George Washington. I guess a Standing Liberty quarter is still my white whale - all the old home yards I’ve searched built between 1900 and 1940, you’d think one would have popped up at some point. Almost seems even more silly now that I’ve tallied a Seated :lol: Anyways, just goes to show that it’s all a matter of time, and a little luck - you’ve got good locations so you’ll definitely get a seated soon...and hopefully I’ll get over a SLQ :D

And yes, it’s definitely true - never hunted out! I’ll definitely be back at that park again ;)

Excellent post. Love the play-by-play. Love the in-situ "reveal" pix. Love the emerald green patina on the IH. Thanx for bringing us along !

Thanks Tom! Glad you enjoyed it! I love seeing that green patina, too - truth be told, I get pretty much the same thrill seeing those emerald greenies pop out as I do with silver :cool3:

Another east coast seated!!!! Sick!!!

If only I had pulled it out of the sandbox at the park (it was only about 75 yards away)...Tom’s head would have exploded :laughing::lol:

:sissyfight::sissyfight:

Thanks Tom! Glad you enjoyed it! I love seeing that green patina, too - truth be told, I get pretty much the same thrill seeing those emerald greenies pop out as I do with silver :cool3:

If only I had pulled it out of the sandbox at the park (it was only about 75 yards away)...Tom’s head would have exploded :laughing::lol:

:sissyfight::sissyfight:

:lol::lol:Poor Tom!:lol:

Wow a seated quarter and in a park at that! No wonder I've only found 2 seated dimes and no quarters, I all but refuse to hunt parks.[emoji1] Huge congratulations to you.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Congrats on a fine hunt, AirmetTango. After years of "no seated silver", my first Seated was an 1875 quarter, found in the middle of a hard-packed dirt roadway, through a farm field.

Thanks Jim!! Yep, that’s definitely one of the awesome draws of this hobby - you just never know when a hugely exciting find is going to show up! I can only imagine how “fun” it must have been to dig through the hard-pack to get to your quarter, but the reward was sure worth it!

That 1893 IH is a beauty and cleaned up nicely. Looks like a pretty high grade too. Depending how these were oriented in the soil for years (face up or face down) it seems like one side always hangs onto the crustiness more than the other side. Is the reverse of your 1893 like that? [EDIT] Wait, I see that the reverse of yours cleaned up pretty well too.

Yes! I’ve definitely noticed that too, not just with IHPs, but also with many, many Wheats I’ve cleaned! I’ve always assumed that the face up side is the one that suffers the extra crustiness as all the glop filters down and collects on the up-turned surface, but I’ve never really confirmed that. In this case, the back of the 1893 IHP had noticeably more black oxidation on the back than the front, but I was able to clear it away relatively easily with careful use of toothpicks and Andre’s pencils. The 1882 is definitely rougher, coated with thick black oxidation that I wasn’t able to remove - it’s actually a little bent slightly, which might have opened it up to some extra corrosion.

Here’s a couple better shots of the IHPs in daylight:

Attachments

• 43EF629C-D2BA-4489-8520-D7D2E3F6422A.jpg
    43EF629C-D2BA-4489-8520-D7D2E3F6422A.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 62
  • 009BBE8B-2EDA-4C50-83EC-2024377F5FB0.jpg
    009BBE8B-2EDA-4C50-83EC-2024377F5FB0.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 65
I have to agree with the others...That was an outstanding write up AT! It sure is rewarding to the Forum to read well prepared posts and we sure do appreciate the effort! A+++!

Thanks Mud!! That high praise really means a lot to me - I’ve gotten consistently more enjoyment out of your posts than perhaps any other forum contributor!

And, the cool thing is that nail protected that seated Q for all these years until you came along with the NOX! You are the first person to touch that coin since it was lost well over 150yrs ago...:thumbsup:

Yes! I’m always keenly aware of that unique, direct connection with lost history that comes with unearthing an old coin or relic - sometimes it’s enough to give you goosebumps! I always wear gloves while detecting/digging, but I suddenly noticed awhile back that in almost all of my pics of good finds that I take in the field, I’ve removed my gloves. It made me realize that part of the excitement for me was to physically hold the object that was last touched by the person who dropped it so long ago...almost like a handshake across the ages! :yes:

A great post .Your writing perfectly described some of the similar characteristics of the Nox that I have found .Definitely a lot of info to be gathered here by Nox users .

When I read your post I was both there with you and having flashbacks of my recent trips .
Congrats on your first Seated Quarter ( a much desired coin on my bucket list) and the other fine coins you harvested . Looking at the trash I can hear the sound each one makes ( man , those 13 readings play hell with me ) .

Your photos are fantastic also .Your post is a complete 10 ! I'll be looking forward to seeing your future adventures .

Thanks so much for those very kind words, Soil!! I’m very glad you enjoyed the post - it’s just as much fun for me to share the details of the adventure for all those who are interested!

Yep, I was trying hard to come up with a nickel, but no luck this time! ;) Some of those tabs (mainly the square modern ones) were ringing 17-18, so I knew they were likely tabs. But the ones I dug were showing just a little more depth than usual, so I decided to dig them on the off chance of jewelry or an old trade token since I was finding some older stuff at that point :yes:

I'm gonna come back and read your post another time. For now, I just skimmed your words and looked at the photos, and I am quite impressed! Saving the backstory for later...

Huge CONGRATS! on the waay back quarter, and new oldest coin!

Thanks Foragist!!

That one injun appears to be in great shape

Thanks joee5! Yes, the 1893 cleaned up well, and shows better detail than many of the IHPs I’ve dug...”Liberty” is clear, and some nice feather detail! She’s a great keeper!

Great finds. For the rare occasion that I find a nice silver I carry a small medicine bottle that has a number of cotton balls in it. Anything I don't want to damage gets placed in the bottle between cotton balls I carry it in my finds pouch so it is always available.

Back
Top Bottom