Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Find a Hunting Buddy

Old 04-17-2018, 11:37 AM

Default Rockford IL, 4/17 this afternoon

Just seeing if anyone is available to hunt this afternoon. I am going to head out at noon. Planning to head to a local park, but open to hunting elsewhere if anyone has a permission. I will post where I decide to go before i head out. LMK.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:46 PM

Headed to Ingersoll centenial park to give it a try.

Spent the better part of the afternoon here. Ended up with 1.73 in clad, 46 coins and 15 pieces of trash. Nobody was out today so i had the park to myself. Somewhere i read beachmode 2 on the nox was best for deap silvers, so I spent the whole day in that, it worked great for coins and i dug less trash than ever, but no silver. I think this park had gravel brought it and packed and new topsoil at some point. When i dug deeper on a couple targets, which always ended up being old iron, i hit a gravel layer. I did stray from the park and tried an empty lot where a house once stood, but it was full of dog dropping, literally full.

Last edited by LandOLincoln; 04-18-2018 at 08:57 AM.

Old 04-18-2018, 05:36 PM
Elite Member

Glutton for punishment considering the weather currently.

That's a big clad park. Lots of soccer there in the summer. Keep your head on a swivel. Quite a few vagrants hang around the nearby Salvation Army building.

Hopefully I can drop by when you're hunting. Still haven't taken the gear out of the basement. Mother Nature just can't settle down.

Old 04-18-2018, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt Nuker View post
Glutton for punishment considering the weather currently.

That's a big clad park. Lots of soccer there in the summer. Keep your head on a swivel. Quite a few vagrants hang around the nearby Salvation Army building.

Hopefully I can drop by when you're hunting. Still haven't taken the gear out of the basement. Mother Nature just can't settle down.
Yea i can see they wore a good path down the middle of the park. I would have detected the whole path but there were quite a few people using it. I keep an eye out for others but nobody was paying me any attention. I do not mind the cold, used to working in it, theres nothing quite like cutting tile on a wet saw mid January. I will try again next time i have a free day, the wife works next 6 days, so next tuesday is my next free day.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by LandOLincoln View post
Just seeing if anyone is available to hunt this afternoon. I am going to head out at noon. Planning to head to a local park, but open to hunting elsewhere if anyone has a permission. I will post where I decide to go before i head out. LMK.
Wish I was still up there to link up with you. I loved to camp at Rock Cut state park. When half of Illinois headed north to Wisconsin I would head from Wisconsin to Rockford.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Snap On Man View post
Wish I was still up there to link up with you. I loved to camp at Rock Cut state park. When half of Illinois headed north to Wisconsin I would head from Wisconsin to Rockford.
I grew up playing in that park, lived right behind harlem highschool, a lots changed since then. How long has it been since you lived up this way?

Old 04-18-2018, 07:38 PM

I sold my Snap On business and moved in the spring of 2004. That is a really nice park and a short drive from Kenosha. You have some really nice bike trails also. We would visit that really nice bike shop on Perryville rd. Lots of great shopping on that road also. Some really nice places to eat. One of the best things is there was no traffic to get backed up in like there was on I94.

1 members found this post helpful.