St. Joseph Pocket Prayer Shrine

FLOOD

Forum Supporter
I found an interesting item today at a private club location location I've been visiting for the last couple of months. This rang up on my Simplex in the 50s, and I've found a lot of rifle shells at this location, so I wasn't sure if that is what I would unearth with this signal. It was only down about 2 inches, and when I retrieved it, I could tell it was not a shell, though it had the same metal colors as a weathered brass casing. I cleaned the majority of the dirt off with my gloves, and could see there was a seam that went around the object, and my initial thought was that this small brass object was a 2-piece item. I gave it a gentle tug, and it slid open and separated. Inside, I could see a small lighter colored object with a pin head sticking up. It was pretty well stuck in place but I wiggled it carefully, and in a couple minutes was able to remove the the object. When I did, I was looking at a small metal religious figurine. I wasn't sure if it was St. Christopher or not, but knew it was a Christian religious relic. I did some online research when I got it home and found a similar item on a couple of websites. Turns out it is a St. Joseph Pocket Prayer Shrine. One website shows a nearly identical item, described as, "... a small pocket shrine, the case is made from brass, inside is a tiny Saint Joseph statue. An antique saint figurine made of lead with gold gilt finish. Starting in late 1800's, soldiers carried these small icon statues to war, also referred to as porta-saints. Sometimes the cases were made in the trenches with found metal or bullet casings. The patron saint for departed souls, carpenters & workers." https://www.pinterest.com/pin/546765211012947963/

Another website said these pocket shrines were carried by German soldiers as well. This seems to make sense as the place I found this was at a location frequented by German men at the turn of the century and through WWI and WWII. Anyone come across one of these before?

Also showing is a 1939 wheatie found there, as well as a red die cast metal Red Rocket Ship that is a Parker Brothers 1957 "Wide World Travel Game" game piece. Interesting finds for the day.

Attachments

• St Joseph and Brass Case 08 Oct 22.jpg
    St Joseph and Brass Case 08 Oct 22.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 261
  • St Joseph Pocket Shrine 08 Oct 22.jpg
    St Joseph Pocket Shrine 08 Oct 22.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 257
  • St Joseph and Child Figurine 08 Oct 22.jpg
    St Joseph and Child Figurine 08 Oct 22.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 254
  • 1939 Wheat Red Rocket and St Joseph Shrine 08 Oct 22.jpg
    1939 Wheat Red Rocket and St Joseph Shrine 08 Oct 22.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 244
I've heard of a few of those being found. But never found one personally. Good job !

What a wee little fella and a cool find…and now I have another little previously unknown historical tidbit in the back of my mind…love it

Back
Top Bottom