Colonial gold cuff link and 2 more coppers

CTpilgrim

Elite Member
We went from spring back to early March today so what a perfect day to get into the woods. I went back to colonial farming area that has been very good to me and had another incredible day. I have hit a lot of ground here with the AT max so now having an equinox it’s like having a whole new area to hunt. I have been digging low tones if they are solid and coming up with quite a few small buttons. After digging a few fired .22 bullets I got another solid 6 signal. I dug a plug out and swung over the hole but now it was quiet. I stuck the pinpointer in and it went off so I’m thinking another bullet so I chop down with shovel to get the target out. I swung over it again and now it’s out of the hole and hitting a solid 11 and double tapping. I located it and saw the gold colored rim in the dirt and my heart started pumping. I plucked it out and couldn’t believe what I was holding. It’s a solid gold octagonal cuff link with a fancy design. This is my first gold anything and to have it be a 1700’s era relic is mind blowing. I found this near where I found my continental navy officer button so it makes sense that whoever lived had some wealth. I canvased the area hoping to find the the other one but no luck. I kept on for another few hours and hit some new ground. I ended up with another button, some fancy buckle which I think may be a garter clip, and a dateless King George 2 copper. Then I worked my way to a spot that me and my father have pounded to death and hit a solid 23 signal which ended up being a 1773 King George 3. I have no idea how we missed that signal but it’s mine now. That makes 77 coppers in my 4 years of detecting but that gold cuff link is going down as one of my best finds of all time. Thanks for looking and happy hunting.

Attachments

• 83D943FA-43F7-4ABC-B59A-04F7AF3285CC.jpg
    83D943FA-43F7-4ABC-B59A-04F7AF3285CC.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 314
  • 0E0AB46B-25D0-46EB-9A50-237C066EEABF.jpg
    0E0AB46B-25D0-46EB-9A50-237C066EEABF.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 301
  • 396378BF-B374-4F02-A3A8-6B1141DCC504.jpg
    396378BF-B374-4F02-A3A8-6B1141DCC504.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 288
  • 03F1E7BD-3E31-4252-89DB-D556FDAA3F6D.jpg
    03F1E7BD-3E31-4252-89DB-D556FDAA3F6D.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 305
  • B899637E-E6C0-4236-873B-FF96B0D2533D.jpg
    B899637E-E6C0-4236-873B-FF96B0D2533D.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 306
That cuff link is amazing, congrats on a great find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is just an outstanding save. Congrats on the beautiful gold cufflink and the old coppers as well. One day the other might just show up.. Good luck,Mark

Amazing once in a lifetime find. Finding silver ones from that era is hard enough.

We went from spring back to early March today so what a perfect day to get into the woods. I went back to colonial farming area that has been very good to me and had another incredible day. I have hit a lot of ground here with the AT max so now having an equinox it’s like having a whole new area to hunt. I have been digging low tones if they are solid and coming up with quite a few small buttons. After digging a few fired .22 bullets I got another solid 6 signal. I dug a plug out and swung over the hole but now it was quiet. I stuck the pinpointer in and it went off so I’m thinking another bullet so I chop down with shovel to get the target out. I swung over it again and now it’s out of the hole and hitting a solid 11 and double tapping. I located it and saw the gold colored rim in the dirt and my heart started pumping. I plucked it out and couldn’t believe what I was holding. It’s a solid gold octagonal cuff link with a fancy design. This is my first gold anything and to have it be a 1700’s era relic is mind blowing. I found this near where I found my continental navy officer button so it makes sense that whoever lived had some wealth. I canvased the area hoping to find the the other one but no luck. I kept on for another few hours and hit some new ground. I ended up with another button, some fancy buckle which I think may be a garter clip, and a dateless King George 2 copper. Then I worked my way to a spot that me and my father have pounded to death and hit a solid 23 signal which ended up being a 1773 King George 3. I have no idea how we missed that signal but it’s mine now. That makes 77 coppers in my 4 years of detecting but that gold cuff link is going down as one of my best finds of all time. Thanks for looking and happy hunting.
Man that think looks about as yellow as gold gets...test itgotta be 90%

outrageous find! mind blower for sure! super congrats!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I would bring the cufflink to the jewelers and have them test it for purity. No doubt got to be solid, but what karat is the question? Looks buttery for sure! Congrats on another fantastic haul, I've dug my share of plated gold cufflinks, and a few silver ones, but never a solid gold one :wow:

Update: Gold cuff link tested and it’s 100% real

I took the cuff link to a local jeweler to have them look at it and verify it’s what I thought. It turns out to be exactly what I thought it was. It tested at least 22 karat, and slightly browned a bit at 24K. The jeweler said there is probably another alloy mixed in with it. The weight is .96 grams. I have been doing some research and am blown away by how rare of a find this actually is. Apparently in the mid to late 1700’s jewelers would actually melt gold coins to make these items for wealthy people. From what I’ve read you have a better chance of finding a gold coin than a piece of gold jewelry from that time period. The area I found this is in the middle of the woods and obviously with the other items I’ve found nearby there was a home here. I have searched the land records and cannot find any information on who lived here. This is surprising because whoever it was definitely had wealth and was possibly an officer in the continental navy. Obviously I will be going back to search for the other cuff link. It goes to show you have to dig those low tones. Attached is a picture of the best things I’ve found at this location. I have also found 8 coppers here but never any silver. This gold cuff link will probably go down as the best thing I will ever find. I am completely blown away!

Attachments

• 022C90B2-3504-4498-A7B8-6B1C3894656E.jpg
    022C90B2-3504-4498-A7B8-6B1C3894656E.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 204
Back
Top Bottom