• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Some Clad And A Bucket Lister

diggin4clad

Elite Member
I got out for 90 minutes before the heat and humidity got to me and dug 14 clads worth $2.66 and a Coronet Large Cent. Unfortunately the Large Cent is toasted to death. With a magnifying glass and bright light I can only make out a small portion of the outline of the bust, three of the stars, and the number 18 in the date. The soil at this particular site is not kind to old coppers because last year I dug an 1880 something Indian cent and it too was completely toasted.

Attachments

• IMG_0746.JPG
    IMG_0746.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 475
Last edited:
Congrats on the old large cent Ed! Contrary to popular belief they aren’t commonly found in every sand box or flower pot on the east coast. :lol:
Every old copper I’ve found has been badly toasted too.

Going from clad to a large cent is a serious jump! What a thrill...and I say that because I recall the day I found my first and FREAKED out! That’s a relatively long time ago that people were carrying those huge coins around, I can’t imagine having a pocket full of those!:lol:
Congrats on your first! If there’s one...you know the drill!::;)

Nice find on the Big Copper! I've only heard of one being found out here in Montana, a guy near Three Forks Montana found one near an old French fur trader's post.

Congrats on the old large cent Ed! Contrary to popular belief they aren’t commonly found in every sand box or flower pot on the east coast. :lol:
Every old copper I’ve found has been badly toasted too.
Thanks Ron.....I'm sure there'll be a post from a certain Californian about this Large Cent :lol:

Nice one Ed! Been awhile since I've found a large cent. Congrats!
Thanks Jeff...this was my first one in two years and the last one was toasted too ! :laughing:

Congrats on a great find. Not being toasted is only a bonus.
Thanks Mo.....

Going from clad to a large cent is a serious jump! What a thrill...and I say that because I recall the day I found my first and FREAKED out! That’s a relatively long time ago that people were carrying those huge coins around, I can’t imagine having a pocket full of those!:lol:
Congrats on your first! If there’s one...you know the drill!::;)
Thanks IDX.....actually it's not my first Large Cent , it's my first Coronet. And you're right that having a pocketful of Large Cents must have been awful heavy.

Nice find on the Big Copper! I've only heard of one being found out here in Montana, a guy near Three Forks Montana found one near an old French fur trader's post.
Thanks Shiny.....understandable about them not being common finds in Montana because they were discontinued when there were very few settlers in Montana.

What an exciting find for you, Ed! :grin: Could you tell what the large cent was right out of the hole, or were you surprised when you looked at it through the magnifying glass?

What an exciting find for you, Ed! :grin: Could you tell what the large cent was right out of the hole, or were you surprised when you looked at it through the magnifying glass?
I was pretty sure it was a Large Cent as soon as I dug it because of the size of the coin, the fact that it was copper, and because I could make out one of the stars before getting it home and using the glass.

Coppers are fun to dig. Put water on it and hold it under the light at different angles, and you may be able to get the full date.

Poor little east coast hunter. Has to settle for a "toasted" large cent. How can you bear the indignity ? My heart just bleeds for you :roll: :sissyfight:

^^^^This^^^^^ :D

I'm thinking no large cents in this area unless it is a modern drop of an old coin.....

Congrats D4C!

Back
Top Bottom