• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Tips, Tricks, Advice for the X-Terra 705??

MDFace

I've been using this for a few months now, I think it's a great machine but I don't think I'm using it to its full potential. The manual it came with is pretty heavy going , does anyone have any tips or advice that I might not know? Ideal ways to set it up for different objects and conditions? How to use prospecting and when? All I really know how to do is noise cancel and ground balance and then I use mode 4 and off I go. Where exactly on the coil is the pinpoint.

Anything at all really! Cheers

Use YouTube in the search box type xterra 705. Also download the free ebook, "Understanding Your Xterra" by Randy Horton. Almost an how to bible. Like I tell all new swingers, start in YOUR own yard to help learn the 705. Surprising what you may find..

Use YouTube in the search box type xterra 705. Also download the free ebook, "Understanding Your Xterra" by Randy Horton. Almost an how to bible. Like I tell all new swingers, start in YOUR own yard to help learn the 705. Surprising what you may find..
Well said. That should provide all the info you will need. GL&HH.

Any videos you can recommend? ave had a look a few times and they only seem to cover the basics. I can't even find a video that properly explains Prospecting mode never mind the little nitty-gritty details.

Appreciate the suggestion for the ebook though :-)

It may explain more ( the book). Then go out and try different settings. You could dig a couple of 4-6+ " hole put some different coins/ metal in them cover with dirt and lightly pack down. I use wooden white golf tees to mark where I put stuff. Gardens work great for this.

Last edited:
I appreciate the comment but I'm after the things most people won't know. I'm not brand new to detecting, I know how to do the basics, it's the technical stuff that nobody seems to explain. Any ideas on this?

I’ll take a crack at this,just my experience..I run heavy disc in parks,and use a dd coil.not so bad as long as you go slow.Somtimes coins will sound good but clipped in the audio with a lot of disc,,but I just hit all metal and it helps clear it up,,then hit all metal again and I’m back to my previous pattern.
I also hunt in all metal in trashy places,,depending on the trash I run 3 tone or 99 tones..99 tones really lets the high tones stand out.When I do that I still notch out iron and number 48.
The xterra is a really great machine,I have one now,have had and sold others..Always come back cause they work..Nel coils work great on the 705,the tornado 12x13 and the sharpshooter 5x10 are really good,,along with Minelabs 10.5...I’m running the tornado now and just dug a hard hitting 9 inch merc last week.No doubt a coin was down there,ID was textbook..
I use mostly 7.5 coils,they seem to work the best for me,and a great all around frequency.Im looking to get a high frequency coil though,and see how it does in my parks.
The thing about the 795 is it’s so customizable.I usually run sensitivity around 22 to 25,,even at 20 it’s deep.No use in going above 25,don’t think you’d gain anything but chatter.
Patterns are great,but run the one with the least disc for now,3 or 4 tones and I’m sure you’ll get the best results.

Attachments

• 8BD54AFA-35EE-4F65-99E6-54AB8B7A69EA.jpeg
    8BD54AFA-35EE-4F65-99E6-54AB8B7A69EA.jpeg
    168.4 KB · Views: 1,381
I run the 705 using several different settings, but the one I used the most was using all metal, all tones, and with ground tracking. I liked and used the 10.5 inch DD MF coil, the HF 10x5 coil, and the MF stock CC coil in that order. I hunt mainly dry land jewelry and won the Feb finds for mine lab in 2016 finding 2 gold rings in 2 weeks. This broke a 2 year gold drought that year for me. This is a good jewelry machine, as well as coins. With practice you will be able to tell a nickle from a square tab a high percent of the time. Good luck you have a good one! HH

There are some very good YouTube videos specifically for detecting gold, from Australia. For mineralized soil, use a DD coil, at 18.75 hz. The 6" coil will detect smaller bits of gold (1 grain, or 1/240 oz), with some loss of depth. The 5x10" coil is not waterproof, but the 6" is. The 6" would be good for SLOWLY scanning the streambed, bedrock cracks and gold trap areas. Use the 5x10 on likely spots on the banks and bench areas. The "Prospecting" mode is much more sensitive, but uses an entirely new tonal language to learn...almost like being in "pinpoint" mode full time. Gold measures low on the TID, anywhere from 15-25, large (pea-size) nuggets may read 30. Prospecting Mode does not display TID, only Iron Mask setting.

The best advise about the xterras is to hunt in all metal (zero disc). If you use disc then they are slow and you will miss good targets. The tones (when set to 2 or 3) are pleasant and easy to differentiate even in trashy areas. I use 2 when digging everything non ferrous and 3 when coin hunting modern parks. My hearing doesn't allow using 4 tones. 3khz coils are deep silver finders but only fair on low conductors. The 14khz are good all around. HH

Back
Top Bottom