My best find ever! Broke into the 1600s

Thanks buddy! And no I haven't. I'll have to watch it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're gonna love this guy! :laughing:

serveimage

The most common english language interpretation of IHS is "In His Service".
But thats not the real meaning.

The latin speaking christians of the medieval Europa donated the first three letters of the greek name of Jesus ΙΗΣΟΥΣ, iota-eta-sigma, or ΙΗΣ. So the IHS letters were born.

The Jesuits where using this in her christogram. This rings are mostly used in 17/18 Jhd. and sold by the jesuits.

In the ring can be notches or scars (i dont know the right word). Every notch is for one genration. For example: The father worn the ring and gave it to his son. Than the first scar was scretched in. And so on. I have a ring with some notches at the site of it. I try to take a photo of it if you are interested.

Its a very interesting find! Still I gotta wonder, why would anyone ever want to capture a Jesuit? Especially in the 1600's when they were wandering around the Globe as common as pennies? Jesuits carry nothing of value and have no marketable skills, they take great pride in wallowing in their barefoot poordom!

Its a complete waste of time and a low Q target, unless you want to put on a Bingo game I suppose...Its not like catching a Leprechaun or an Mayan King for golden ransom?....I could understand that..but a Jesuit? Whats to gain here? Conversation? Might as well catch a poor homeless wino and keep him out in your yard shed as if theres a challenge to that :laughing:

The most common english language interpretation of IHS is "In His Service".
But thats not the real meaning.

The latin speaking christians of the medieval Europa donated the first three letters of the greek name of Jesus ΙΗΣΟΥΣ, iota-eta-sigma, or ΙΗΣ. So the IHS letters were born.

The Jesuits where using this in her christogram. This rings are mostly used in 17/18 Jhd. and sold by the jesuits.

In the ring can be notches or scars (i dont know the right word). Every notch is for one genration. For example: The father worn the ring and gave it to his son. Than the first scar was scretched in. And so on. I have a ring with some notches at the site of it. I try to take a photo of it if you are interested.

That's very interesting, thanks for the research.

Great find congratulations! Can't wait to hear the rest of the story once you can find out more background

That is a very cool find. Especially considering the area found. Fur trappers, indians and settlers. Once in a lifetime I'd think. Big congrats.

Its a very interesting find! Still I gotta wonder, why would anyone ever want to capture a Jesuit? Especially in the 1600's when they were wandering around the Globe as common as pennies? Jesuits carry nothing of value and have no marketable skills, they take great pride in wallowing in their barefoot poordom!

Mud -

My understanding in rather brief reading of the complex history (in regards to Jesuit missionaries in this area of the current US) is that Jesuits got caught up in the middle of warring tribes in the area. The history of the tribes in that region during the probable time period of the owner of this ring (as stated by the OP) is fascinating and leaves the curious in a state of wonder. The possibilities are endless. The Jesuits in the New World appear to have experienced a fairly typical missionary cycle: arrival --> introduction --> acceptance --> limited conversions --> turning of tables (blamed - often rightly - for sickness that decimated tribes and guilt by association in regards to warring factions, where they were killed because they had established missions or similar within the territories of rival tribes).

If I let my imagination run a bit, this ring could have been worn by a Jesuit who became a martyr, probably at the hand of the Iroquois. It really is a spectacular find!

Mud -

My understanding in rather brief reading of the complex history (in regards to Jesuit missionaries in this area of the current US) is that Jesuits got caught up in the middle of warring tribes in the area. The history of the tribes in that region during the probable time period of the owner of this ring (as stated by the OP) is fascinating and leaves the curious in a state of wonder. The possibilities are endless. The Jesuits in the New World appear to have experienced a fairly typical missionary cycle: arrival --> introduction --> acceptance --> limited conversions --> turning of tables (blamed - often rightly - for sickness that decimated tribes and guilt by association in regards to warring factions, where they were killed because they had established missions or similar within the territories of rival tribes).

If I let my imagination run a bit, this ring could have been worn by a Jesuit who became a martyr, probably at the hand of the Iroquois. It really is a spectacular find!

Really appreciate this info!! Very interesting. I also had read that these rings were given to Indians as "prizes" for things such as memorizing bible verses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom