OLD Tree finds

SoOregonMd

Elite Member
Whenever I am detecting I look for the oldest trees I can find.
In the back of my mind there is the possibility of a nice old farmers Cache buried there.
The other day I was hunting and at the end of my hunt I got a pretty good signal at the base of a 2 1/2 wide Oak tree. said it was shallow but when digging I quickly realized it was not. well this signal was on the diagonal and headed UNDER the tree. at about a foot deep it started to rain and it was getting dark so I had to abandon my hunt.

Well the whole way home I was thinking like WTH could be UNDER that tree.. I mean what could it be if not put there deliberately.

So I thought about this ALL night and the next morning was there at daybreak.

So long story short it was a Piece of rebar going straight down. so disappointed to say the least.

Ok SO my Question for all of you is.. What is the Best thing you have ever found under or around a tree?

Mine is a Silver Cross with Arabic or hebrew writing on it I am assuming it is a prayer cross of some sort.

I spent almost 20 minutes digging a merc out from under a tree root in a curb strip. Also pulled a silver Washington from under a tree root in a city park. Park is only a few years old.

I found a 1935 Hero cap gun.... with red glass grips still intact. I had to dig up under a large cherry tree to get it. it was surrounded with old square nails. i'm guessing it was a tree house or fort of some kind. but I have ran into what you described. it was probably a property line marker that some one planted a tree next too.

I spent almost 20 minutes digging a merc out from under a tree root in a curb strip. Also pulled a silver Washington from under a tree root in a city park. Park is only a few years old.

So the old saying money doesn't grow on trees is correct. It grows under them.:D

I always look around old tress but other than coins I never really find a lot.

Ray

In the back of my mind there is the possibility of a nice old farmers Cache buried there.

The other day I was hunting and at the end of my hunt I got a pretty good signal at the base of a 2 1/2 wide Oak tree. said it was shallow but when digging I quickly realized it was not. well this signal was on the diagonal and headed UNDER the tree. at about a foot deep it started to rain and it was getting dark so I had to abandon my hunt.

Well the whole way home I was thinking like WTH could be UNDER that tree.. I mean what could it be if not put there deliberately.

So long story short it was a Piece of rebar going straight down. so disappointed to say the least.

Ok SO my Question for all of you is.. What is the Best thing you have ever found under or around a tree?

Mine is a Silver Cross with Arabic or hebrew writing on it I am assuming it is a prayer cross of some sort.

In Ca. when you see a random fruit tree in the middle of nowhere you know it is from gold rush days. My buddy dug a bolivian 1 reales at the base of one. The year was 17... Mint mark was showing still. Sometimes the structure is long gone but the fruit tree or trees are still around. Im sure this applies everywhere. Just means gold rush here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I have a really large oak tree in my front yard (it's HUGE) and I got a signal at the base, but then realized the tree grew around logging chains. There are other bits of metal embedded in the tree, higher up. I assumed from a basketball hoop, but who knows.

I got a signal from under a different tree this weekend, but it's either under a large tree root or IN it, so I left it alone until I figure out how to best approach that situation.

Here's a weird one for ya..

Back in the day, when I was a young lad in the early 70's, I was helping my dad fell trees on his 200 acre wood lot that his father and grandfather had worked since Centurion was a rank not a tank.. Anyway, he's cutting through a tree and nothing happening, chain saw won't go through the centre.. dulled it? After sharpening the teeth, we go at it again and same thing.. very odd. We take the axe to it and lo and behold, there's a rather large felling wedge embedded deep into the trunk of this tree! What the? And oddly enough, it has my grandfather's initials on it..

(felling wedge is a steel wedge that you hammer into a saw cut in a tree to help it fall over in a specific direction, varying in sizes)

We take it back to my grandfather who recognized it immediately, "did you find this down by the cedar spring at the back of the lot? I'd lost that in 1917 when I put it down in the crook of a branch." Apparently he had rested it on the branch of a sapling too keep it off the ground and forgot it (lost it). The tree continued to grow and completely enveloped the wedge. Gravity kept the steel wedge from climbing up the tree as it grew.. And we found it some 50 years later!

Fun find!

I gave my dad an Ace 250 for his 78th birthday this month.. first thing HE said was "now I can go find my peevee and chains I misplaced back there in 80's"

Like father, like son ;)

Very cool story. Only thing I have found under a tree is a Merc that took me the better part of thirty minutes to extract. But it was worth it.

Here's a weird one for ya..

Back in the day, when I was a young lad in the early 70's, I was helping my dad fell trees on his 200 acre wood lot that his father and grandfather had worked since Centurion was a rank not a tank.. Anyway, he's cutting through a tree and nothing happening, chain saw won't go through the centre.. dulled it? After sharpening the teeth, we go at it again and same thing.. very odd. We take the axe to it and lo and behold, there's a rather large felling wedge embedded deep into the trunk of this tree! What the? And oddly enough, it has my grandfather's initials on it..

(felling wedge is a steel wedge that you hammer into a saw cut in a tree to help it fall over in a specific direction, varying in sizes)

We take it back to my grandfather who recognized it immediately, "did you find this down by the cedar spring at the back of the lot? I'd lost that in 1917 when I put it down in the crook of a branch." Apparently he had rested it on the branch of a sapling too keep it off the ground and forgot it (lost it). The tree continued to grow and completely enveloped the wedge. Gravity kept the steel wedge from climbing up the tree as it grew.. And we found it some 50 years later!

Fun find!

I gave my dad an Ace 250 for his 78th birthday this month.. first thing HE said was "now I can go find my peevee and chains I misplaced back there in 80's"

Like father, like son ;)

Nice Story !!

Two finds come to mind. In Lowell Ma, under an oak tree was a 1915 Barber quarter, and I still have the silver spoon embedded in a tree root.

Two finds come to mind. In Lowell Ma, under an oak tree was a 1915 Barber quarter, and I still have the silver spoon embedded in a tree root.

9d887422c5497924225bcd954a1aab23.jpg

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Wow, there are some interesting stories on this thread! I uncovered my very first wheat penny right at the base of a large maple. :grin:

9d887422c5497924225bcd954a1aab23.jpg

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Those are some great finds! Mine is a cross that was used as decor on a casket... I'm told my great great grandfather was a casket builder in his spare time. I stopped digging under that tree!

I was out hunting the woods one day and was climbing over an old rotted fallen own tree. Happened to swing the coil across the truck and the ATP went crazy. Started digiging at the rotted wood and pulled about 15- 20 bullets out of it. Not anything amazing but not what I was expecting. They were all white so they had been there awhile.

I was out hunting the woods one day and was climbing over an old rotted fallen own tree. Happened to swing the coil across the truck and the ATP went crazy. Started digiging at the rotted wood and pulled about 15- 20 bullets out of it. Not anything amazing but not what I was expecting. They were all white so they had been there awhile.

You think that's why the Tree was dead and rotting?

lead poison? :laughing:

Old tree observations from a Lifetime of Wilderness rambling....Like any other critter, Humans are drawn to structure...Consider and evaluate old trees accordingly...

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "The best time to plant a tree was 20yrs ago, the second best time to plant a tree is today"..

A guy comes across an old tree, 300+yrs old?... Ask yourself, "Why was this tree spared the saw?" Surely it had some sort of importance? It could be lone and abandoned out in the middle of a cotton field, perfect shade and picnic rest area...Yeah, give it a sweep!...

Old Trees are Planetary anchors....good place to start for tracking Humans...If an old tree could talk, the stories they could tell! They DO talk...if you got a detector and are willing to listen to its stories...

Case in point...Me and the Wife made our Daughter underneath a nice old woodland Beech back in 1979 when we were dating...Moonlite night, stars overhead.........I think I may have lost my pocketknife in the process...it was worth it though....Monumental and Life changing experience!! I bet that old Beech got quite a giggle,

Not unusual or noteworthy...Since the Dawn of Time, most Humans were conceived out of doors on a sultry night, underneath a big Old Tree!.......:laughing:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom